Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winch cable

Noob!

winch cable

Well any have 1 for sale? I bought a brand new mile marker 8000 winch an on like the fourth pull the cable broke not just once but twice. it has a 2 yr warranty so im getting a new one in but it wont be in till sept. 3rd. i wanna go wheeling the weekend before that but cant now unless i have my winch.

Dave (notmyj) has the original steel from his Milemarker. It has a few kinks and frays in it, but it works.

On a side note, why exactly can't you go wheeling without a winch?
    -Brandon

99 TJ

"Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know."

Noob!
    well i can but id prefer too have one. And theres this hole i wanna "try" an go through within the next week or two once i get my rearend locked. BUt i just thought about it i have my old cable out back from my old winch same size cable so im gonna c if it will work for now. But ever heard of a brand new winch cable breaking TWICE three days after someone gets the new winch?

Quote Originally Posted by 89xj4fun View Post
    well i can but id prefer too have one. And theres this hole i wanna "try" an go through within the next week or two once i get my rearend locked. BUt i just thought about it i have my old cable out back from my old winch same size cable so im gonna c if it will work for now. But ever heard of a brand new winch cable breaking TWICE three days after someone gets the new winch?
    How did it break twice? After one break, you should have taken it out of service to begin with. Unless you're telling us that it broke in two places at one time, you're not exactly using the safest of winching practices.
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Noob!
    well i was stuck in the middle of the night i wrapped it around a tree trunk like i should of. an the cable itself snapped once. then we broke 2 come alongs trying too get it out. so in desperate measures i thought well if we pull the rest of the cable out an wrap it around the tree real good an get tension an tie it maybe it will work. NOPE after pulling just a little bit started too get some tension damn cable broke a second time. was only like the fourth time i used it. i wasnt very far from the tree either maybe 15-20 feet so it wasnt like i had a long pull with the cable.

well i was stuck in the middle of the night i wrapped it around a tree trunk like i should of. an the cable itself snapped once. then we broke 2 come alongs trying too get it out. so in desperate measures i thought well if we oull the rest of the cable out an wrap it around the tree real good an gett tension an tie it maybe it will work. NOPE after pulling just a little bit started too get some tension damn cable broke a second time. was only like the fourth time i used it.
    They make these straps called "tree savers." You should probably get one...that way you don't have to wrap your line around a tree. That's a very good way to get a nice kink in your line, possibly weakening, if not causing the breakage.

Noob!
    ya i know an it didnt break there it broke up by the roller fairlead itself both times. I had an old chicago electric winch i used the same way that i had for awhile till it finally went down. i figured was time too by a new winch didnt expect it too break when u use it then takes 3 weeks too get a new cable?

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    Ok, a few things, NEVER, EVER wrap a cable around a tree. Please do the wheeling community a favor and spend the $35 for a tree saver.

If it's breaking at the fairlead, then my guess is your fairlead is messed up and it's binding the cable. Or you are pulling at too sharp of an angle (use a snatch block).

When you say the cable was new. Did you spool it under tension before using it?

No one got hurt when the cable snapped right?

Things to buy (in this order)

Tree Saver
    Synthetic winch line
    Aluminum hause fairlead
    Snatch block
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    Never wrap a cable around any thing but a snatch block. Anything else that does not roll will load the cable in a way it is not designed. I have seen some scary things happen when the cable is used wrong.
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

Noob!
    Well everyone around here i know aint worried about a tree saver.
    Yes it was spooled under tension before use. It was probly my 4th maybe 5th time using it.
    i never had a problem with my old winch cable when we wrapped it around trees (so many times too).
    But it dont matter just thought id b nice an ask a question an im being told how too do everything the "right" way.
    Just wanted too see if anyone else ever had problems with mile marker or ever had a new cable snap like that.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! stesul411's Avatar
    Well everyone around here i know aint worried about a tree saver.

another one of the reasons wheelers have a bad rap.
    I don't suffer from insanity........................I enjoy every minute of it!!!!!!!!!

[URL="http://www.bigrubbers4x4.org"]www.bbnt4x4.org[/URL]

You're not being "told" to do anything. It's suggested SAFE winching practices. It keeps everyone as a group from looking bad, and not scarring up trees. Most all people around HERE that wheel public land, are concerned about things like that. Everything said in this thread by members aside from you, were suggestions to possibly alleviate the problem you're having in the future, and possibly diagnose your current issue.

Noob!
    mmmkay!!!

Noob!
    Well thanx anyway but my point is the places im wheeling we are not worried about anyone saying anything its all bad swamp land an noone worrys about it there. but thanx. Nothing still seems right to me about my cable snapping. Twice.

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    Incorrect winching technique can do a lot of bad things. Just because you never had a problem before doesn't mean it's right. Learn to do things right and maybe you won't have a problem and maybe you won't kill someone.

But, it seems you have made up your mind, so be it.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

I un-deleted this as there is good information in here regarding safe winching techniques.
    -Brandon

99 TJ

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Please use a tree saver, beyond giving the enviro's more ammunition against us, safe winching is just common sense. Don't be an idiot.

Moderator of the DeeDeeDees! Bill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    Please use a tree saver, beyond giving the enviro's more ammunition against us, safe winching is just common sense.
    x2
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Call of Duty Special Ops Edition (De-badged)

"The two most common elements in the universe are nitrogen and stupidity."

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAthens View Post
    I un-deleted this as there is good information in here regarding safe winching techniques.

I'm not an admin or anything, but I would recomend, this thread get's deleted quickly to make sure we aren't giving the greenies more amunition to use against us. Wrapping a cable around a tree cuts the bark and kills the trees, wheeling in a swamp sure sounds like destroying sensitive wetlands.

Some of the winching suggestions are good info and could use a thread about it, but it seems this one needs removed.

Just my $0.02
    I'm not completely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

[COLOR=red]Every time I walk into a singles bar I think of my mom's wise words, "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been." [/COLOR]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! RalphXJ's Avatar
    Wraping a winch line around a tree is dumb! It will kill the tree. It will probably result in the winch line breaking (which I guess it already has) and probably end up in you, or one of your freinds getting killed!

Dont be an idiot, listen to the people here who know what they are talking about before someone gets killed!!

Saying you NEED a winch to wheel is just dumb! I dont have a winch, and dont plan on getting one anytime soon (if at all) and I wheel my Jeep harder then most people!

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeMudder View Post
    I'm not an admin or anything, but I would recomend, this thread get's deleted quickly to make sure we aren't giving the greenies more amunition to use against us. Wrapping a cable around a tree cuts the bark and kills the trees, wheeling in a swamp sure sounds like destroying sensitive wetlands.

Some of the winching suggestions are good info and could use a thread about it, but it seems this one needs removed.

Just my $0.02
    The tree huggers already know what non-caring 'wheelers do. You can't really hide a 1" gash in a tree caused by a 3/8" steel cable...

That being said, this thread goes to prove that some of us that care advovate safe (both environmental as well as personal) winching techniques. If someone doesn't want to change their ways, none of us can make them.

If the greenies REALLY want ammunition, they would be much better off hitting some known trails with a video camera for a weekend. They know that, we know that, which is why many of us preach about tread lightly, tree savers, etc etc.
    -Brandon

99 TJ

And also, as Ralph reiterated from my original statement, you don't NEED a winch to go wheeling. My TJ has been hooked to a winch exactly twice, once in C-ville when I was stock and once somewhere else where we found ruts MUCH MUCH deeper that we could have ever guessed. Enough to put a old Dodge 3/4 ton to the frame rails, sitting on 35's.

Anyhow.. I digress. There is almost always a way, sure it might be more work, but I still have $800 in my wallet for that extra work.

I pulled Dave up a hill that most people would have said no way, it can't be done without a winch. We did it. (3) 30ft straps and a heavy foot and I pulled him out.

Hell, get a Hi Lift and a chain.
    -Brandon

99 TJ

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    even if you don't want to order a tree saver a couple of towstraps from tractor supply work well. Plus it never hurts to have a couple of extra feet. trust me a 100' cable isn't always enough.

Quote Originally Posted by fmlyof4whlrs View Post
    even if you don't want to order a tree saver a couple of towstraps from tractor supply work well. Plus it never hurts to have a couple of extra feet. trust me a 100' cable isn't always enough.
    Another good point!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I've wheeled allot both w/ and w/o a winch on the front, and I really like having the piece of mind of having it there if I need it. I have needed to use it a few times where it wouldn't have been good if I didn't. I could have done it w/o it but it was nice to have it.
    I'm not completely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

[COLOR=red]Every time I walk into a singles bar I think of my mom's wise words, "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been." [/COLOR]

Thread Information