Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Archery season coming up!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Archery season coming up!

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar

Archery season coming up!

I'm already gettin' geeked for it. Picked up some Easton Full Metal Jacket arrows with a couple of Luminoks. Anyone ever try Luminoks? They light up when you shoot them, kinda like a tracer bullet, and stay lit until you twist them off. Key for finding misguided arrows.

I have a 6 point buck foam target in the yard....scares the bejezus out of the dog! ha ha ha...

How many bowhunters we got on the board? Anyone know of a decent 3-D course around the burgh?

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

1 week left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will be the first time i've been out bow-hunting in about 12yrs. I have missed it so much.
    Ian

I heart bumpsteer...

1993 YJ, My Jeep's as tall as I am

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    i should be goin out,
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

High-horse-ASSumption-master
    i was thinking of making a post for archery.

here are some sites to find out about 3-d shoots.

http://www.3dshoots.com/

http://www.lmariana.com/3dshoots.htm

hopefully i can kill one with my bow this year. killed lots wth guns, but none with a bow.
    -s-10 d60/14bff, 496bbc, th400,205, locked- mud racer, NO PATIENCE

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

I'll probably be going out this year...I never heard of those arrows though, sounds like it would be worth the money.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    Luminocks are the shit, but they're expensive. My brother in law was just telling me he found a site online showing how to make them out of little lights for bobbers for like $3 a piece. I have to work opening day this year.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    i hadn't really planned on goin out this year until our new laborer at work told me that he's got a bunch of deer that come through his back yard...and that he'd like to see them gone....

He claims there's a 12 point running around there....

And no, I'm not telling ANYONE where it's at....lol
    "Blue Ox" '95 F-150: 300-6, 5-spd, 4x4, "slightly modified"
    "lil Blue" '00 Ranger Supercab xlt: 3.0L, 5-spd, 2wd, dark blue, blacked out
    '89 Bronco II Choptop: 4.0L, 5-spd, 4x4 convert., 5" susp. lift, 2" BL, locked, 35's, blue camo
    '88 Bronco II Eddie Bauer: 2.9L, auto, 4x4, mods in the works

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! Schimiz3306's Avatar
    I can't wait for bowseason. My season lasted about 30 minutes last year. Big bodied (weak frame) 9 pt came in before 7am around 22 yards away and I was going to pass figuring it's a 1/2 hour into the season. He turned away, and then made a u-turn and came in at about 20. From that point, it was game over.

[B]98 Cherokee[/B]
    4.5" - Long-Armed
    34" LTBs

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    cant wait till the season starts , however its still a little early IMHO to kill a monster ...cant wait till the ruts in and all the big guys come out looking for the good stuff ..

Trail Leader
    its not nice to kill bambi!! just kiddin, i get that alot!! In the most honorable words of my beloved mentor Ted Nugent "KILL EM AND GRILL EM". Get yer hunt on!!
    F.U.B.A.R

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGeneral View Post
    Luminocks are the shit, but they're expensive. My brother in law was just telling me he found a site online showing how to make them out of little lights for bobbers for like $3 a piece. I have to work opening day this year.

Yep, they are expensive, like $10 a pop. Lucky for me I have a hookup and got a handful for free. Score!

What's the preferred broadhead with you guys - fixed, mechanical, etc?

I went with a Muzzy x-3 fixed last year, thinking of going to Grim Reaper mechanicals this year tho....

Quote Originally Posted by yamadog257 View Post
    its not nice to kill bambi!! just kiddin, i get that alot!! In the most honorable words of my beloved mentor Ted Nugent "KILL EM AND GRILL EM". Get yer hunt on!!
    Or Nuge's famous, "RACK 'EM, WHACK 'EM, PACK 'EM, AND STACK 'EM."
    [B]98 Cherokee[/B]
    4.5" - Long-Armed
    34" LTBs

Trail Leader
    Broadheads--- Rocket hammerheads. makes and leaves a 2" diameter cutting path. 2"!!!!!! No other broadhead on the market has that large of a cut. no problem finding blood there. left a hole in my deer so large last year i put a pop can in the hole. they are mechanical so they will fly a little more like a field tip. paired with a luminok and you got the best pair in the business. everyone has their own opinion about broadheads but I have been using them for almost 10 years and have not had a deer get away, even when the shot was not perfect. it leaves such a big hole your bound to catch some sort of vital. Oh and --shoot a HOYT! Good Luck!!
    F.U.B.A.R

Quote Originally Posted by yamadog257 View Post
    Broadheads--- Rocket hammerheads. makes and leaves a 2" diameter cutting path. 2"!!!!!! No other broadhead on the market has that large of a cut. no problem finding blood there. left a hole in my deer so large last year i put a pop can in the hole. they are mechanical so they will fly a little more like a field tip. paired with a luminok and you got the best pair in the business. everyone has their own opinion about broadheads but I have been using them for almost 10 years and have not had a deer get away, even when the shot was not perfect. it leaves such a big hole your bound to catch some sort of vital. Oh and --shoot a HOYT! Good Luck!!
    I've been shooting 100 grain slick tricks and while their cutting diameter is only 1 1/16" I think, they are lethal. I've heard stories about them penetrating through a front shoulder. And since they're fixed, the blades don't get all mangled and bent after you shoot, which I had happen with my old Spitfire 2 1/2" expandables.
    [B]98 Cherokee[/B]
    4.5" - Long-Armed
    34" LTBs

Trail Leader
    no doubt that the mechanicl tips can bend and tweak inside the animal. fixed and mechanical both have pros and cons. i used to shoot muzzy fixed and blew the broadhead clean through the front shoulder on a walking deer into the lungs. i got lucky but like the old saying goes, you should't have shot him there. so fixed definetely have more strength but..... give me a bigger pass through hole any day over strength. you can kill a deer with a field tip if you hit him in the right place. the whole key to the lesson kids is shot placement not whats on the end of arrow. although it doesn't hurt to have a monster hole just in case!! nobodies perfect! you can't lose with any broadhead you choose, it is just a personal preference and which broadhead shots the best in your bow, just practice lots for that perfect shot placement to better serve your tracking efforts and be more humane for the animal. USE YOUR HEAD!! Hope everyone has a fruitful season!
    Last edited by yamadog257; 09-09-2007 at 10:05 AM.
    F.U.B.A.R

There's a new kind of broadhead with a piston on the end that when pushed in by contact the blades deploy. Look pretty strong compared to some other mechanicals I have used. Expensive of course, but looks like I might try em out. Saw in F&S mag last month.

I've preferred fixed usually - I have broke mechanicals before. This might change my mind.

Easton Full Metal Jackets with luminoks and some kinda whup azz on the end coming out of my old but true High Country are my ticket now. I got a Hoyt on the way...

Dang I wish I had a place to hunt in Allgh Cty. My yard is too small!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I've been using 125 grain Muzzy fixed blades for awhile now...

I have yet to take a deer with a bow, I've gone out a couple times but never really got an opportunity when I've been out to tag one. Most of the time I've been busy with work and college, plus often having trouble finding a place to hunt, and not having a treestand...

I just don't get out there much, I know that if I see one during gun season it's as good as in the back of the truck, so I never put too much effort into bow season, just went out when I could.
    '89 Bronco II Choptop: 4.0L, 5-spd, 4x4 convert., 5" susp. lift, 2" BL, locked, 35's, blue camo

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! mxg342's Avatar
    I switch to mechanicals a couple of years ago.

100 gr spitfires in front of gold tip arrows with eaton nocks (if you buy gold tips throw the nocks that come with them in the garbage. I have had 50% of mine split at the nock)

All coming from a Bowtech mighty mite. 31" axle to axle.

This year I'm on the hunt for my 15th PA buck and the 12th with the bow.
    84 CJ7 with some stuff....

2005 Dodge - Tow Pig 462/865

High-horse-ASSumption-master
    less then 3 weeks. can't wait.
    -s-10 d60/14bff, 496bbc, th400,205, locked- mud racer, NO PATIENCE

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

My stepdad is head of the white tail management association in Alleghany County, so he gets to hunt in the backyard. He's got a camera attached to a tree and has been checking out the local deer that pass by. As soon as he sends me pics ill post them up.
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

my yard is just a little too urban. I get big deer all the time and there are some woods, but I'm afraid of an injured deer stumbling out on Babcock blvd and causing a wreck or dying on a neighbor's porch. Last year had a 10 point maul a little pine tree in my yard. All I could do is watch...aaarrrrggghhhh.......

I got dibs on the tranny! avenged7foldhc's Avatar
    my lifelong goal is to kill a dear with one of these :

i figure if i get a good treestand spot and enough bait, get the deer right under me. jump out of the stand onto his back and start a'stabbin'!!!!

'85 Yota 4-runner.

07 Honda Shadow VT600CD Miles: 3600
    mpg at last check: 55

04 Rubi (gone.. ill miss it)

My friend ran down and killed a deer with a knife.
    OK so he may have shot it with an arrow first but it was still running fast.
    "When you're single, you're exactly as happy as you are.
    When you're married, you can only be as happy as the least happy person in the relationship" -Rules of Engagement

"Friendship is like peeing in your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel it's true warmth."

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

2000 Grand Laredo 2"BB, 245/75/16 BFG AT/KOs

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by avenged7foldhc View Post
    my lifelong goal is to kill a dear with one of these :

i figure if i get a good treestand spot and enough bait, get the deer right under me. jump out of the stand onto his back and start a'stabbin'!!!!
    I've said for the past couple years that one day I'm gonna end up giving that a try...

Rifle is too easy, if I can see it, I can kill it.

Shotgun is almost as easy.

I'm hoping to move on to pistol in the next year or two to try to increase the challenge somewhat...and not a TC type, I'm talkin standard revolver.

Then I'm gonna focus on bow until that gets too easy

Then it's knife time.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! mxg342's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LBF View Post
    I've said for the past couple years that one day I'm gonna end up giving that a try...

Rifle is too easy, if I can see it, I can kill it.

Shotgun is almost as easy.

I'm hoping to move on to pistol in the next year or two to try to increase the challenge somewhat...and not a TC type, I'm talkin standard revolver.

Then I'm gonna focus on bow until that gets too easy

Then it's knife time.

Two words flint lock.......
    84 CJ7 with some stuff....

2005 Dodge - Tow Pig 462/865

Thread Information