Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Archery season coming up! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Archery season coming up!

Quote Originally Posted by LBF View Post
    I've said for the past couple years that one day I'm gonna end up giving that a try...

Rifle is too easy, if I can see it, I can kill it.

Shotgun is almost as easy.

I'm hoping to move on to pistol in the next year or two to try to increase the challenge somewhat...and not a TC type, I'm talkin standard revolver.

Then I'm gonna focus on bow until that gets too easy

Then it's knife time.
    Shotgun is just as/if not easier than rifle. You're closer...so error is more forgiving (not that you should have any) Sabot slugs will shred a car door...imagine the hole it puts in a deers shoulder!

Pistol is also just as easy as rifle...big revolver, good scope = DED.

Archery is gonna be your biggest challenge, but if that gets to easy, then just increase the difficulty by switching over to a recurve. THATS SOME TOUGH HUNTIN.
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by MF Steve! View Post
    Shotgun is just as/if not easier than rifle. You're closer...so error is more forgiving (not that you should have any) Sabot slugs will shred a car door...imagine the hole it puts in a deers shoulder!

Pistol is also just as easy as rifle...big revolver, good scope = DED.

Archery is gonna be your biggest challenge, but if that gets to easy, then just increase the difficulty by switching over to a recurve. THATS SOME TOUGH HUNTIN.
    I say shotgun is almost as easy simply because even with a rifled slug barrel, you pretty much end up needing to get them closer than 100 yards, and there have been times where places I've hunted I've seen longer shots than that.

With my rifle, if it's under 300 yards, it's definitly dead.

Pistol I know I'm gonna have to be closer than shotgun, so I rule out more long distance shooting.

Bow I have to be closer yet.
    "Blue Ox" '95 F-150: 300-6, 5-spd, 4x4, "slightly modified"
    "lil Blue" '00 Ranger Supercab xlt: 3.0L, 5-spd, 2wd, dark blue, blacked out
    '89 Bronco II Choptop: 4.0L, 5-spd, 4x4 convert., 5" susp. lift, 2" BL, locked, 35's, blue camo
    '88 Bronco II Eddie Bauer: 2.9L, auto, 4x4, mods in the works

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! mxg342's Avatar
    Well who went out and how'd ya do?
    84 CJ7 with some stuff....

2005 Dodge - Tow Pig 462/865

High-horse-ASSumption-master
    i missed a doe. well actually i just nicked the top of her back. i found a little bit of hair on my arrow and a tiny bit of blood. a hawk tried to eat me.
    -s-10 d60/14bff, 496bbc, th400,205, locked- mud racer, NO PATIENCE

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

My stepdad allready got one.

He's head of the White Tail Management Association in our area, so he got prime location, which is pretty much in his backyard. He's got a camera that captures any movement in the area, and has been tracking a decent buck. So hopfully he will snag it soon.
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    4 baldies, but I only got out the last hour Saturday.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    saw 12 deer total in the morning, 2 bucks one really nice 8 point. Id say somthing like 17inches wide or so. I was at full draw for 3-5 minutes he never gave me a shot, stayed behind some trees. I could have had a doe, but didnt have my tags. Though i like to get some deer in rifle.

And if 300 yards is to easy for rilfe start taking longer shots!
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

Well I only hunted the evening. I got in at 5pm and saw 11 deer. 4 doe and 7 buck (at least 4 legal). I ended up shooting the bigger of the bucks at 7:15pm. 8pt 18" outside spread.

Not too bad for 2hrs and 15 min of hunting

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    Congrats, i cant wait to get out again. I know where i need to go to be in a better position this time. Its just hard to go home every weekend. I cant wait till the rut starts goin, see if more bucks dont come out
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! Schimiz3306's Avatar
    Not to bring a dead thread back to life, but has anyone had any luck? I was out last night and saw 1 mature doe and 2 little fuzzballs.
    [B]98 Cherokee[/B]
    4.5" - Long-Armed
    34" LTBs

step dad took out another doe. He leaves the buck for rilfe, unless he comes across one he cant refuse.
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

i got a little button buck on the 6th. 15 yard shot. first with a bow.

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

Quote Originally Posted by YZEATER View Post
    i got a little button buck on the 6th. 15 yard shot. first with a bow.
    Congrats man! Isn't it something...the first one is always something to remember. First deer taken with a bow with an 8 yard shot on a 6-pt 4 years ago. I didn't know he was there until he was directly under my tree. Sort of weird being that close to deer...
    [B]98 Cherokee[/B]
    4.5" - Long-Armed
    34" LTBs

thanks. i've had'em in realllllly close with a rifle, but never the bow.

-'15 dmax

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    Congrat's to those who have scored. I've been out a couple of times - had a forkhorn dead to rights for about an hour, but obviously he must of known he was illegal to shoot! Passed on a few small doe. Nice 6 pointer wouldn't come closer than 100 yds. So I'll be going out again once it gets cooler and more leaves drop. My bro in law hit an 8 point in the chest but must have narrowly missed the lungs. Tracked it for 2 days with 6 people for over 2 miles and still can't find it. Hopefully somebody got it....

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

It's going to get fun once the rut comes in. I'm able to hunt Tuesday nights, Thursday nights, all day Friday, and most Saturdays....hopefully it pays off soon! Temps need to drop about 15-20 degrees though..
    [B]98 Cherokee[/B]
    4.5" - Long-Armed
    34" LTBs

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Schimiz3306 View Post
    It's going to get fun once the rut comes in. I'm able to hunt Tuesday nights, Thursday nights, all day Friday, and most Saturdays....hopefully it pays off soon! Temps need to drop about 15-20 degrees though..

Exactly. I'm hoping this warm weather doesn't push the prime rut way past archery season. I'd rather not be in the woods for rifle if I could help it. I wish I could hunt during the week but my camp is 100 miles away near Titusville and my other spot is north of Mercer. Dark by the time I get there.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Congrats to those who've scored.

I haven't really had a chance to make it out yet, but it hasn't really mattered. Right before the season started the deer stopped comin by where I was all set to sit (shoehorned in where I could get permission, not a whole lot of room) an haven't shown up again yet. Hopin that maybe once the rut kicks in or when the weather cools an stays that way that they'll come back.
    "Blue Ox" '95 F-150: 300-6, 5-spd, 4x4, "slightly modified"
    "lil Blue" '00 Ranger Supercab xlt: 3.0L, 5-spd, 2wd, dark blue, blacked out
    '89 Bronco II Choptop: 4.0L, 5-spd, 4x4 convert., 5" susp. lift, 2" BL, locked, 35's, blue camo
    '88 Bronco II Eddie Bauer: 2.9L, auto, 4x4, mods in the works

woooo hooo, got my first buck with a bow. saturday morning at 8:00 this buck came almost running too me. got him to stop and shot him at about 15-20 yards. he fell at about 50-60 yards.

-'15 dmax

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    Congratulations that's an awesome first buck! If you're anything like me you'll be hooked for life, and your rifle will get awfully lonely in the gun cabinet!

Congrats man! I didn't get a chance to put time in this past weekend, but this week towards the end I will be hunting like hell. I think with this cold weather drop, it could get really, really good this coming week.
    [B]98 Cherokee[/B]
    4.5" - Long-Armed
    34" LTBs

nice.

Pictures from yesterday. My brother and JeepGeneral's brother in law.

^ We have been all after this deer all season. Two nights before this, we saw on our trail cameras what looked on the right side of his face to be war wounds from a sparring battle. Turns out, it was a broadhead! Some sick bastard (or someone with a terrible shot) put one in his face and he amazingly survived. My Uncle's neighbor who is a vet came down to remove it. Inside spread is 17 1/8".
    [B]98 Cherokee[/B]
    4.5" - Long-Armed
    34" LTBs

wow, what a spread. very nice deer.

-'15 dmax

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! jackb1's Avatar
    I took a shot at one yesterday... with my camera. Someone else previously took a shot though. He has an arrow slowing him significantly. I didn't think there was anywhere near me to hunt.

It's not illegal, it's frowned upon.

Thread Information