Thread: Might need assistance

Might need assistance

I need to replace my suspension before inspection time. Due to my Funds, my budget is low. I was looking at the RC 4" Lift kit since everything is included. But now I am Thinking the Rockcrusher SOA kit, and some disconnects. But I think I might need a tc lowering kit also. It is all going to depend on cost. Opinions? MF Steve, Could you do some welding if I go SOA?

I also need to swap out my transmission with the transmission I got cheap, and also put the new clutch in also. I guess I have a good weekend worth of work to do.

If you do a SOA on a YJ, a t-case lowering kit isn't enough. You'll need an SYE for your transfer case for sure. If you do decide to go w/ the SOA, keep me posted, I'll surely weld your new perches on for ya!
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Trail Leader
    I know that you can read millions of opinions on the computer. I have a rc on my yj. I was tickled pink. After a week the passenger side sat 2 inches lower than the drivers. (this is a que for sycotik skier to say something about how great his old shop was zzZZZZzzzzzZZZZz) and it was happily replace by rc under warranty. I got rear springs in the mail in a couple of days. They claim it will clear 33's but after a year almost to the day 32's are tight. For the money, you do get everything and it does work. For a little more it could be done right. Next time I will keep this in mind...

opinions are like black wheels on a heep, everyone has one.. that was mine.
    Andy
    green TJ

Less posting, more wheeling!
    not everyone has black wheels on their jeep. And yes that shop is a joke.
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    Whats causing the suspension to fail inspection?

Steve's right, SOA is going to require ALOT more than just a TC drop...
    Just the things I've researched for my build:
    1. Springs
    2. Traction bar
    3. Extended brake lines (be prepared to replace the hard lines too)
    4. Perches and a welder (or someone that can weld it for you)
    5. Steering correction (you can rig it, but why bother???)
    6. Shocks (in reality you should replace the lower shock mounts F/R and the uppers in the front, as the factory doesnt allow for long enough shocks and they will bind at the axle)
    7. SYE & CV driveshaft
    And thats just the parts...

If the suspension is that bad, then replace it with a quality lift kit. If funds don't allow for that (or you're stock), then replace it with used stock springs.

The old saying: There are two ways to do things; Right and Again. Applies here.
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Krod I love that saying The old saying: There are two ways to do things; Right and Again. Applies here.
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

Less posting, more wheeling! mudforblood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycotik Skier View Post
    Krod I love that saying The old saying: There are two ways to do things; Right and Again. Applies here.
    Meh! It is more like: The right way, the wrong way, or my way. Anybody can do it with the "right" tools and parts, it takes skill to do it with what you have and not do it wrong. There is tons of different ways to get it done with out using the standard bolt on parts like everyone else uses.

I have a spare set of stock springs. Most of the bushings in the suspension are shot, drivers front leaf is bent into a 90 almost. I dont have much money to work with, qhich is why i was thinking the RC lift would be my best bet. As long as they replace the springs under warranty, i'm not worried about them sagging. When I come up with more money sometime, i will probably replace the springs with something better, but for now with my low budget, the RC kit is probably the way I am going to go. I would like to get the RE Kit, but again, can't afford it right now.

my personal quote, inspired by the simpsons...

You can do things the right way, or the wrong way...OR you can do things MY way, which is like the wrong way, but FASTER

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by mudforblood View Post
    Meh! It is more like: The right way, the wrong way, or my way. Anybody can do it with the "right" tools and parts, it takes skill to do it with what you have and not do it wrong. There is tons of different ways to get it done with out using the standard bolt on parts like everyone else uses.
    +1

If you want to do SOA on a budget, talk to Dodgemudder.
    "Blue Ox" '95 F-150: 300-6, 5-spd, 4x4, "slightly modified"
    "lil Blue" '00 Ranger Supercab xlt: 3.0L, 5-spd, 2wd, dark blue, blacked out
    '89 Bronco II Choptop: 4.0L, 5-spd, 4x4 convert., 5" susp. lift, 2" BL, locked, 35's, blue camo
    '88 Bronco II Eddie Bauer: 2.9L, auto, 4x4, mods in the works

Quote Originally Posted by LBF View Post
    +1

If you want to do SOA on a budget...

SOA and budget DO NOT go together. The guy is considering buying new springs to replace aging parts....NOT redo the entire suspension.

Please do me and everyone else on the road a favor, and DON'T do SOA on a "budget" unless you're only going to trailer your shit to the trail and back.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    It can be done safely on a budget, if you know what to look for...

I rode in Dodgemudder's truck when he was running regular heep lift springs with extra leaves in the pack. He was running SOA at the time too. Anything over about 35 and I was looking for lots to hang onto.

I also helped him replace his leaves with ones that he got from a junkyard for a fullsize truck. We even did a 3/4 elliptical in the rear, and that thing is steady as a rock goin down the road even at speeds over 45.

Granted, this is all with a YJ.....

You could get all four leaves for around a hundred, fyi, cuz I just picked some up.

Basically, I feel much safer riding in his jeep now that we got rid of the leaf springs from the "lift kit" in favor of springs from a completely different vehicle. After wheeling with him, helping him work on his jeep, and just generally being around him, I am very confident in his abilities to modify his jeep and be safe doing it.
    "Blue Ox" '95 F-150: 300-6, 5-spd, 4x4, "slightly modified"
    "lil Blue" '00 Ranger Supercab xlt: 3.0L, 5-spd, 2wd, dark blue, blacked out
    '89 Bronco II Choptop: 4.0L, 5-spd, 4x4 convert., 5" susp. lift, 2" BL, locked, 35's, blue camo
    '88 Bronco II Eddie Bauer: 2.9L, auto, 4x4, mods in the works

i have another set of stock springs, not sure how great they are. i was just going to replace them, but notice some of the bushings are shot, and the shocks are leaking fluid, so here we are.

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar
    just remember a SPOA will kill your stock springs over time.

Quote Originally Posted by LBF View Post
    It can be done safely on a budget, if you know what to look for...

Back on topic...

Glad to hear you got a solution for the springs man. I've just seen too many rigged suspensions lately....Didn't want to see you or someone else get hurt, or spend all your budget trying to get something to work.

Thread Information