Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

fab work??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fab work??

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

fab work??

so i was lookin at getn a bumper for the rear of my scottsdale and i had asked steve about doin some fab work for me. he said he could do one in 3/16ths steel for me and i was kinda lookin to get it done it 3/8ths to match my front end. does anyone know of someone who has equipment that has the capacity capable of completing one in 3/8ths?? if i cant find anyone i will end up goin w steve but as i said before he can only do it up to 3/16ths. im not sure if it would look stupid goin from 3/8ths to 3/16ths. i have seen his work and damn he is good but really have my heart set on 3/8ths. i will supply a sheet of metal to get the job done. im workin for a steel distributor and can get a sheet(they call it scap) which has been cut dwn to haul (and is brand new). as said before i just have my heart on 3/8ths, so i dnt want anyone thinkn i dnt want to go with steve!!!i also would like to get fab work done for a set of steps/ rocker protectors which i will more than likely will c if steve can do when he is freed up. thanks for ur help
    the future is a mystery, the past is history, today is a gift and thats why it is called the present

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    You don't want an entire bumper made out of 3/8" steel.
    Last edited by OverkillZJ; 10-19-2007 at 09:54 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ
    You don't want an entire bumper made out of 3/16" steel.
    You sure that's what you meant to say, Matt?
    Last edited by LordAthens; 10-18-2007 at 08:55 PM.
    -Brandon

99 TJ

"Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know."

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    well actually my front bumper is made of 3/8ths and i would like to keep them the same. i dont know if it would look wierd having a monstrosity of a front bumper and its baby brother on the back....
    the future is a mystery, the past is history, today is a gift and thats why it is called the present

Quote Originally Posted by stillersfan View Post
    well actually my front bumper is made of 3/8ths and i would like to keep them the same. i dont know if it would look wierd having a monstrosity of a front bumper and its baby brother on the back....
    FYI - armor, as in 'bumpers' and 'sliders' are meant to protect the vehicle but also be expendable. The idea is, it should bend before your frame does.

How's that monster mounted up front anyway? If it's welded to the frame and you get in a collision, you can kiss your whole truck goodbye.
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - New motor, long arms, 33's | Jeep FSM's & other stuff -> JeepsLimited.com

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAthens View Post
    You sure that's what you meant to say, Matt?
    You know it wasn't (ass.)

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    When it comes to the bumper, you would never know the difference when looking at it if it was 3/16" or 3/8". 3/8" is WAY too thick unless you are building a tank.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzikman View Post
    When it comes to the bumper, you would never know the difference when looking at it if it was 3/16" or 3/8". 3/8" is WAY too thick unless you are building a tank.
    X2

3/8th is way to thick. the bumpers i have built out of 3/16th were plenty strong. you cant tell what they were built out of if they are built right.
    98 grand cherokee 5.9L, 2"BB, BFG A/T ko's

91 S-10, 35" baja claw radials, ZZ4 350 crate motor

93 YJ, 33" MTR, 4.56, 8.8 (was locked for 4 miles...) 2.5L (not forever...)

[url]www.bigrubbers4x4.org[/url]

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    Agreed on the 3/8's VS. 3/16's....

Your frame is probably AT MOST 3/16ths (more likely closer to 1/8th). What do you think will give if you bash it hard enough?

The 3/16th design (bent and welded like Bill's) will actually be VERY strong with less weight added.
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! HeepH8erTy's Avatar
    yea, 3/8's will be heavy and overkill. My rear bumper is made out of 3/16's 3x5 tubesteel and i slam it off the ground all the time with no problems.

Also, like jason said, how the (****) are you going to notice when you look straight it that its made out of 3/16s or 3/8s?
    02 ZR2 Sonoma- 4.3, 5spd, DD/Bike Hauler
    07 TRX400EX- XRC-ish woods krewser
    04 KX220 Hybrid Woods Weapon
    97 KDX220 Plated Street/Woods beater

Need some Powder Coating done? Let me know!

Less posting, more wheeling! notmYJ's Avatar
    3/8".....Wow. You do understand that bigger doesn't mean better right??? It doesn't make you any more of a man, and doesn't make your truck any more capable. Its a waste. Even if it is free.
    Hell I had the opportunity to do mine out of 3/8" wall square tube, for free. I passed cause it is a waste. The bumper would've weighed as much as my current bumper with the winch mounted....

Its a dumb idea, it serves no purpose, completely unneeded.
    92, 4.0, AW4, SOA, 8.8, D30, 37's, etc etc
    92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)

"Send lawyers, guns, and money. The shit has hit the fan" - Warren Zevon

Everytime someone installs a Super35 kit, an angel looses its wings. Do you want that on your shoulders every time you get in the jeep? Why, I think not...

3/8 aluminum maybe..

But yeah, 3/8 steel is overkill and bad practice. And how do you figure it's going to look weird? If they're made to be the same dimensions, wall thickness doesn't matter at all, because you won't see it (so long as the ends are capped. You're ends are capped, right?

That's like comparing 1/2" copper water line to a piece of 1/2" solid copper rod. They look the same from the outside. Who's to know if it's solid or if it's .032 wall?

If all else fails, I know where you can get some railroad ties..
    -Brandon

99 TJ

"Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know."

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby View Post
    How's that monster mounted up front anyway? If it's welded to the frame and you get in a collision, you can kiss your whole truck goodbye.
    and a lawsuit from whoever you hit...

Quote Originally Posted by willysrule View Post
    and a lawsuit from whoever you hit...

I knew all these responses were coming...
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    come on guys dont rip him apart too bad....he just doesnt really know about this kinda stuff...just teach him thats all....steve i still want you to build me or help me build a cage soon

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I cant believe that the whole bumper is 3/8 s Maybe parts of it are. A 3/16 bumper with the 3/8 gussets and supports sounds more like it. Give us some closeups of this bumper.
    When in doubt, put the hammer down

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    no man i thinks its all 3/8ths he said he bought the truck with the bumper already on it...i looked at it when it was dark and i didnt really inspect it but im pretty sure its all 3/8 lol..thats a heavy bastard

Quote Originally Posted by limegreentj View Post
    come on guys dont rip him apart too bad....he just doesnt really know about this kinda stuff...just teach him thats all....steve i still want you to build me or help me build a cage soon
    Im not rippin... was just laughin about the insurance thing. Ill do ya a cage...im buying a bender of my own in dec.
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    let me get some pics and i will post them for ya

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

Thread Information