Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Dana 44 axle swap (with pics)
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana 44 axle swap (with pics)

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

Dana 44 axle swap (with pics)

well almost everything has arrived (brackets and mounts )..a little later than expected and one box destroyed in transit with a few small items missing ...anyway heres the low down as of now and i`ll be adding pics as this progresses ..

starting with a 76 HP dana 44 from a F-150 ...got a stupid good deal on this axle and couldnt pass it up .it has teh weld on Cs ..i will be running this fullwidth at roughly 65in WMS-WMS ....gears and locker will be coming around the bend shortly ....

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    I'm interested to see how wide it ends up, I was looking to do the same swap. Where did you get the brackets from and how much (TnT has a sweet truss with the brackets built in that I've been eyeing up). What are you doing for a rear axle?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    some brackets came from Ruffstuff and the upper control mounts came from K.O.R.E 4x4 customs ..i think i spent around $160 on the brackets in the picture ...i have a 14b FF on deck for the rear but i am still unsure on the exact direction this project is going ...

i can either change everything over to 8 lug or change the rear 44 i have now to 5x5.5 and keep the front 5 bolt pattern .. .not sure yet i guess we will see

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Better get some fender flares
    When in doubt, put the hammer down

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    yeah thats the least of my worries now ...but i`ll have some tube fenders bent up with some flares once done ..

Looks good...I've been thinking of putting full widths under mine for a while. I would like to still be able to get it to pass PA inspection though.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    not to worried about that ...my inspection guy will pass anything with a 30pk of coors lite on the front seat ...LOL

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew2516 View Post
    Looks good...I've been thinking of putting full widths under mine for a while. I would like to still be able to get it to pass PA inspection though.

You'd be surprised how little 5"s wider looks with some skinny wheels & tires

http://www.blwa.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2555

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! HeepH8erTy's Avatar
    where are you going to be getting all your new parts from? i got a 44 that i plan to replace everything on. It sat outside on the grass for like 2 years and isnt in the best shape, but i got it for free. I plan to start re-building over thanksgiving and winter breaks, but dont know where a good place to get the parts from would be. I may end up getting everything from napa.
    02 ZR2 Sonoma- 4.3, 5spd, DD/Bike Hauler
    07 TRX400EX- XRC-ish woods krewser
    04 KX220 Hybrid Woods Weapon
    97 KDX220 Plated Street/Woods beater

Need some Powder Coating done? Let me know!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    if you are going full width i'd stick with 8lug... slap some h2 wheels on it and you won't be much wider than a stock axle with 12.5 wide tires on wheels with 3.75in of bs...

i think it's only about a 2-3 in difference...
    "When your god gives you lemons... you find a new god!"

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    made some progress this week...axle is stripped and cleaned..cutting the radius mounts off sucked ..gotaa be careful not to cut the tubes...i am waiting on some lost in transit parts( my control arm mounts ) they must have fell outta my ripped box ...but the vendor was quite cool and reshipped no questions asked ..i`ll have some pics up soon ..

not sure i wanna do h2 wheels due to the price of 17in tires ..not sure yet ..

Noob!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew2516 View Post

If you want to pass inspection chances are you will need to cut the axle down. I'm running full width with 4.5" of BS and my 79' F250 D44 sticks out a good bit.

Brackets look good, too bad you don't have a jig to put them in.

94' Cummins
    00' XJ 4.0/aw4/231/D44 9/37

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    got the whole axle stripped and cleaned ..i pressured washed the POS the hit it with a wire brush on the Dewalt ..Time to rip the jeep apart and start to mock this Bitch up

Stupid Radius arm brackets real PITA to cut off .....good Bye :098:

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    Work faster!...I just dropped the idea of doing this like a week ago because I was afraid it was going to be too wide for my trailer. Now you have sparked my interest again. I'm interested to see how wide it is with tires on.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    LOL i wish i could get this done faster ..with a full time job ,a baby ,and i sold my garage and have to move a ton of stuff time is restricted ..LOL

i still dont know what wheels/tires i am running ..if i could find a set of H1 12 bolt beadlocks near PA that would seal the deal ..

i am tryin to keep it tight and dont wanna run a 4in backspace wheel ..i think it will be way too wide for PA .ummmm oh well too much thinking for me ...

It's looking good
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

im still thinkin the ranger will be done first

I love build threads where people actually take pictures!
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

Quote Originally Posted by jeepxj3 View Post
    I love build threads where people actually take pictures!
    What's that supposed to mean??? I'll be takin plenty of pix within the next week!
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Quote Originally Posted by MF Steve! View Post
    What's that supposed to mean??? I'll be takin plenty of pix within the next week!
    Im a picture whore what can I say? POST UP THE PIXAHHH's makes it easy to follow if somone was to do the same thing.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    got some of the jeep tear down today ..hoping to start mocking in the new axle soon ..it almost makes me a tad sad to just start cutting it apart ..i`ll have some new pics up soon as soon and something exciting happens ..

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    got the old axle out and slipped the new housing under to start mocking stuff up ...man this things is going to be wide ...the new housing is just as wide at the outers as the complete HP dana 30 WSM-WSM ...i should be tacking some mounts on tomorrow if i get a chance ,but Ruffstuff stiffed me on contorl arm mounts and hast resent them yet ... ...lots of cutting and grinding coming my way ..

so far the trackbar bracket on the frame side is a problem with the front moved forward 2.5 inches ,and i am not sure about the steering yet .....i`ll get some pics up as soon as some noticable progress is made ..

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    got the old axle out and slipped the new housing under to start mocking stuff up ...man this things is going to be wide ...the new housing is just as wide at the outers as the complete HP dana 30 WSM-WSM ...i should be tacking some mounts on tomorrow if i get a chance ,but Ruffstuff stiffed me on contorl arm mounts and hast resent them yet ... ...lots of cutting and grinding coming my way ..

so far the trackbar bracket on the frame side is a problem with the front moved forward 2.5 inches ,and i am not sure about the steering yet .....i`ll get some pics up as soon as some noticable progress is made ..
    Why not just make your own? LCA mounts are probably the easiest thing to make.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    yeah most likley i will ,but i didnt want to cause of time and ease of just ordering them .time is slim with kids and such .but with this bullshit i`d already be done ..

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    john, if ya need an extra set of hands im right down the road. let me know
    01 XJ RE 4.5 33s...

Thread Information