Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

"In Search Of..." an off-road vehicle. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "In Search Of..." an off-road vehicle.

I got dibs on the tranny! avenged7foldhc's Avatar
    What'd ya do in the army stryker? i'd immagine i could take an educated guess, but if ya dont mind elaborating.

'85 Yota 4-runner.

07 Honda Shadow VT600CD Miles: 3600
    mpg at last check: 55

04 Rubi (gone.. ill miss it)

PghOffRoad Regular
    To Be Determined (TBD) by the US Gov't. within the next 6 months.
    Started out in communications (8 years), then re-classed into the Infantry MOS. Did a few years as the acting NBC NCO until we got someone into the slot. Then we became a Stryker Brigade Combat Team (PA has the only Nat'l Guard SBCT at this time), got qual'ed as a driver/vehicle commander, and am now the resident Master Driver for the Company. Recently became the Wheeled-Vehicle Section Chief, and will be directly responsible for teaching & certifying new drivers on the up-armor Hummers, FMTV'S (the new trucks), and the Stryker ICV's.
    [CENTER][B]"Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom..." Gen. George S. Patton[/B][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER][B]"If it weren't for the last minute, alot of things wouldn't get done." Micheal S. Traylor[/B][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER][B]"If you are going to speak to me in circles, at least pull your foot out of your mouth!" SSG Joseph Wentzel[/B][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER]GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!![/CENTER]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew2516 View Post
    www.photobucket.com

upload them there and paste the IMG link into your post.
    Okay, I tried that on another thread, all I get are the picture place-holders & no pix...
    [CENTER][B]"Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom..." Gen. George S. Patton[/B][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER][B]"If it weren't for the last minute, alot of things wouldn't get done." Micheal S. Traylor[/B][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER][B]"If you are going to speak to me in circles, at least pull your foot out of your mouth!" SSG Joseph Wentzel[/B][/CENTER]

[CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    Okay, I tried that on another thread, all I get are the picture place-holders & no pix...
    Below your upload pictures there will be a little box that says IMG next to it. Click in that box and it will copy it for you, then paste that into your reply...it should work.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

PghOffRoad Regular
    Will do, thanx! Let's see...uh yes, the shot of my youngest son ditchin' the Hummer:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Stryker; 11-01-2007 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Had a Pollack-moment!!!!!! Sorry!!!!!
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

[CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]

I got dibs on the tranny! avenged7foldhc's Avatar
    Started out in communications (8 years), then re-classed into the Infantry MOS. Did a few years as the acting NBC NCO until we got someone into the slot. Then we became a Stryker Brigade Combat Team (PA has the only Nat'l Guard SBCT at this time), got qual'ed as a driver/vehicle commander, and am now the resident Master Driver for the Company. Recently became the Wheeled-Vehicle Section Chief, and will be directly responsible for teaching & certifying new drivers on the up-armor Hummers, FMTV'S (the new trucks), and the Stryker ICV's.

good stuff, yeah i was a 31C myself, course when i did my tour i acted as a 63 series, im in ROTC right now though, extra $ for college, cant beat it.

i think the LMTVs are my favorite, for the size of the things theyre pretty peppy, and oh boy, once you get an armored one, not up-armored but the actual armored cab.. its like a friggin mercedes. quiet, air conditioned, and the seats are comfy as all getup.

course the 1114's arent too bad, just not very roomy and a PITA to work on. especially the electronically controled transmissions on em. if you guys have em, make sure the mechanics are schooled on how to adjust the TPS because they will go out of wack every 200 miles or less depending on the driver and is the root cause of about everything hehe

'85 Yota 4-runner.

07 Honda Shadow VT600CD Miles: 3600
    mpg at last check: 55

04 Rubi (gone.. ill miss it)

PghOffRoad Regular
    Good luck in ROTC! I'm sure our guys are up-to-speed on the current specs for the up-armors (at least, I HOPE they are!!!!)...and the LMTV's are the Cadillacs of the Army!
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

[CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]

Will do, thanx! Let's see...uh yes, the shot of my youngest son ditchin' the Hummer:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    wow... that H3 sucks at dah Flexahhh!!!
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

Quote Originally Posted by jeepxj3 View Post
    x2...I always hear how good they are in the woods to...you think it would flex.

Looks like a sock XJ way out flexes that
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Just remember your comparing an IFS w/ a SFA the SFA should always be able to flex better than a IFS. And I bet that H3 w/ having a rear locker, it would still be able to out wheel that stock XJ.
    I'm not completely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

[COLOR=red]Every time I walk into a singles bar I think of my mom's wise words, "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been." [/COLOR]

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    ya i was gunna say IFS to SFA is apples to oranges...

...but i know i sure can get my stock farm beater XJ further along the trail than than an h3!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    i would if i wasnt in college but i can help you find any parts you need to hunt down probably.
    I'm not in a hurry to get started on it, I still need to get my choptop squared away (almost there), an get some stuff straightened out around home so I have room to get started on it.

Basically, I have a good line on a REAL M1934a Jeep that supposedly has ALL of the parts, jerry cans, holders, snorkel, etc. I have a feeling that the motor will need rebuilt, the tub is in poor shape, and I think the trans may need rebuilt, but it has a twin stick t-case.

Cool, thanks for the info! I'm gonna talk to a co-worker who has a Ford Bronco (1980's-era) for sale. Some build-up, but could use more for the trails. All I gotta do is get lockers and a lift, and it'll be ready for some trailin'. I'd like to get a Jeep for my oldest boy tho, something we can work on and fix up if needed.
    Fullsize Broncos are a lil tougher to fit down some tight trails, but they can be extremely capable right out of the box, as they usually have a D-44 TTB front and 8.8" rear with a 302 V-8. I've seen these trucks in action before stock running 33" Swampers and they went places I didn't think that a stock 4x4 could.

Bronco IIs are smaller, V-6 and smaller axles. Stock they're only good with up to a 30" tire, after that you risk snapping front axleshafts unless it's street only or if you get a 90 bronco II. Fortunatly, the quick fix is to swap a front axle from a 4.0L ranger or from an early explorer. They are also incredibly easy and cheap to lift if you know a few tricks (which I'd be willing to share). 86-90 BIIs have a 2.9L efi motor stock that is prone to cracking heads if overheated, but there's several ways to handle that problem. Aside from the heads, these motors are tough, not too long ago I fixed up one and sold it that had somewhere around 200k miles on it. When I got it the plugs were burnt to a crisp, the plug wires were rusty, the cap and rotor were beyond shot, and the air filter was so stuffed up it wasn't funny, yet somehow it ran. Full tune up later and after sputtering for a couple minutes, it ran like a champ.

Explorers would provide a lil more room for a family outing, early explorers are best for this (the boxy body style) because they are still fairly cheap and easy to lift, and often are powered with a 4.0L, though there are some with factory 302 motors. They come with a D-35 TTB front and 8.8" rear, which will stand up to 35's and lockers for most people.

Avoid auto transmissions in bronco IIs and explorers if you can, they tend to be somewhat weak unless you want to do a "bulletproof" rebuild.
    "Blue Ox" '95 F-150: 300-6, 5-spd, 4x4, "slightly modified"
    "lil Blue" '00 Ranger Supercab xlt: 3.0L, 5-spd, 2wd, dark blue, blacked out
    '89 Bronco II Choptop: 4.0L, 5-spd, 4x4 convert., 5" susp. lift, 2" BL, locked, 35's, blue camo
    '88 Bronco II Eddie Bauer: 2.9L, auto, 4x4, mods in the works

PghOffRoad Regular
    I've got 2 options at the moment, one is local (a Jeep) & one is in Cinci...this is gonna be a project vehicle for my Boyz & I, but it'll eventually be my oldest's personal rig. I want to get it trail-worthy & street-legal at the same time, so we've got some work ahead of us, I think! It's all good, tho...
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

[CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepxj3 View Post
    Very little if any flex whatsoever. They are built like little tanks, but the entire front clip is completely PLASTIC! I was very impressed with how it takes the trails, but not enough to keep the damn thing! Besides, my truck is more compatible with my job than the H3 ever was!!!!!! (Mechanic, tools, lotsa crap to carry...etc.)
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

[CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LBF View Post
    I'm not in a hurry to get started on it, I still need to get my choptop squared away (almost there), an get some stuff straightened out around home so I have room to get started on it.

Basically, I have a good line on a REAL M1934a Jeep that supposedly has ALL of the parts, jerry cans, holders, snorkel, etc. I have a feeling that the motor will need rebuilt, the tub is in poor shape, and I think the trans may need rebuilt, but it has a twin stick t-case.
    im not familiar with that jeep but im sure the motor and transmission rebuilds wouldnt be an issue other than shelling out the bones for the parts. anything with a dana 18 has a twin stick case (assuming u mean 1 stick for the 4hi/4lo and one stick for the 2wd/4wd)

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeMudder View Post
    Just remember your comparing an IFS w/ a SFA the SFA should always be able to flex better than a IFS. And I bet that H3 w/ having a rear locker, it would still be able to out wheel that stock XJ.
    I thought H3s were just limited slip? (I really don't know though) I think an XJ with the factory limited slip rear would be a good contender against the H3.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew2516 View Post
    I thought H3s were just limited slip? (I really don't know though) I think an XJ with the factory limited slip rear would be a good contender against the H3.

Depends on the package

The offroad package comes stock with a rear locker, front traction control, a 4:1 t-case, and the metric equivalant of 33" tires

Little pc of trivia, H3 is built on the Colorado style platform & running gear, which means that GM could easily put all that sweet stuff in the mini truck if they wanted too

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    Or find a wrecked one and build it yourself. I think I need start watching the auction scloser.
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    im not familiar with that jeep but im sure the motor and transmission rebuilds wouldnt be an issue other than shelling out the bones for the parts. anything with a dana 18 has a twin stick case (assuming u mean 1 stick for the 4hi/4lo and one stick for the 2wd/4wd)
    I don't know a whole lot about jeeps...yet...and the guy that has it has a bad habit of avoiding answering direct questions. He says he knows all kinds of things but when you ask him something directly he starts talking about something else.
    "Blue Ox" '95 F-150: 300-6, 5-spd, 4x4, "slightly modified"
    "lil Blue" '00 Ranger Supercab xlt: 3.0L, 5-spd, 2wd, dark blue, blacked out
    '89 Bronco II Choptop: 4.0L, 5-spd, 4x4 convert., 5" susp. lift, 2" BL, locked, 35's, blue camo
    '88 Bronco II Eddie Bauer: 2.9L, auto, 4x4, mods in the works

Thread Information