Thread: If you're building...

If you're building...

...a rear storage box, PM me first, because I can tell you exactly how NOT to do it.

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Right, because all technical discussions should occur in PM's where other's can't benefit.

Yeah, really.

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - New motor, long arms, 33's | Jeep FSM's & other stuff -> JeepsLimited.com

Dave, What did you do??? :nono
    "When you're single, you're exactly as happy as you are.
    When you're married, you can only be as happy as the least happy person in the relationship" -Rules of Engagement

"Friendship is like peeing in your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel it's true warmth."

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

2000 Grand Laredo 2"BB, 245/75/16 BFG AT/KOs

wtf sense would that make?

Well, originally, I wanted to make a box I figured on 34x35x6 inches deep. So I went to Home depot, to get them to cut it...but they woudln't cut anything shorter than 12" so I figured ok-- it will just be a bit deeper than I wanted, no biggie.

So I built it, glued it, carpeted it, hinged it, locked it, went to put it in, and it's too big. I guess I never measured the latch that holds the back door on because it's much higher than 6 inches up.

So I'm taking it all back apart and probably going to start over again tomorrow. Except I'm not really 100% comfortable with this circular saw.

Anyone have some experience with a circular saw and wants to give me a hand tomorrow ... chime in.

I made one cut already...but it was short -- 12 inches long and I cut about 6 inches off. Now, I have to basically split this piece 30" long by 12 wide into two pieces 30" long by 6" wide each...and the saw just doesn't feel right while I'm starting to get into it further, so I just gave up.

So...if you are experienced with one of these, let me know -- I have all the equipment, saw, two new blades, saw horses, c-clamps out the butt, etc...let me know.

I swear if I had an air compressor and a buzzer saw I'd just cut them with that.

I take it you've never used a circular saw before? If you HAVE to use a circular saw, get something to use as a straight edge, clamp it to your board and run the saw against the guide. The saw not "feeling right" is likely you twisting the saw in the cut and binding the blade.
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - New motor, long arms, 33's | Jeep FSM's & other stuff -> JeepsLimited.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    The saw not "feeling right" is likely you twisting the saw in the cut and binding the blade.
    That makes a lot of sense -- actually...it seemed like the saw sort of started pushing the wood instead of just cutting it -- which would make sense that I wasn't cutting straight.

I'm going to have another go at this tomorrow.

Thread Information