Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Driveway mechanic WANTED
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driveway mechanic WANTED

Web Wheeler!

Driveway mechanic WANTED

Hey again, I just got my Aussi Locker and am going to attempt to install it tomorrow, and I need some pointers. I am not that experienced
    with taking apart axles, and f#*king around with the ring gear and simalar things, it makes me sweat. Do I need to take my axles completely out or just a few inches to clear my carrier?

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    RTFM

(directions)

Web Wheeler!
    Wow, why didn't I think of that :icon_fU:, oh wait I did. Funny how they always leave some mundane detail out.

Yeah I know, I'd tell you if I knew, I've only done it on Dana axles with I'm betting you don't have

Web Wheeler!
    My axle is a dana 44. Isuzu did at least 1 thing right lol.

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    Yeah I know, I'd tell you if I knew, I've only done it on Dana axles with I'm betting you don't have
    Unfortunately, I think you be wrong. I believe he has a D44 rear.
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

In that case, it depends on what gear ratio you have. If it's not too low, you will not need to remove the carrier or the ring gear at all. You'll only need to pull both shafts out a few inches so that you can remove the spiders, and install the locker. It's not as bad as you think, I promise.

If you can't get the cross pin out while it's all installed (lower gearing) you'll need to pull the whole carrier / ring gear, and do it with the carrier removed, then reassemble. I know it looks intimdating, but it's simple, I did it about 5-6 years ago, it was one of my first projects on the Jeep and I was a complete newbie who coudl hardly change a tire.

One word of advice: I prefer to use new ring gear bolts when removing / reinstalling the ring gear. There are ridges to keep them from backing out, but they only work "once." Lots of people don't replace them and don't have issues (I didn't the first time) but be sure to use lots of loctite on teh ring gear bolts...

If the Aussie instructions are anything like the NoSlip instructiosn I had, I think you'll be OK!

Web Wheeler!
    Thanks, I just picture myself trying to hitch to work Monday morning with my car in pieces on my garage floor .

Quote Originally Posted by rodeo's-r-us View Post
    Thanks, I just picture myself trying to hitch to work Monday morning with my car in pieces on my garage floor .
    You'll be ok. I'm sure if you got in a bind, someone who knows what sup would be willing to come help ya out also!

Web Wheeler!
    If I do get into a bind I will buy the BEER!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rodeo's-r-us View Post
    If I do get into a bind I will buy the BEER after we finish so my junk isnt all fawked up!!!!!
    Fixed it for ya!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! psychobilly's Avatar
    In that case, it depends on what gear ratio you have. If it's not too low
    The isuzu 44 seems to use the numerically lower carrier with a thicker ring gear and numerically higher gear ratio. Most likely 4.30's. Most were trac-loks too so that may present a problem. If it is the trac lok carrier you may be able to leave some of the clutches in and make it work with the aussie or you could buy an open carrier for like 40 bux. Remember if you do buy a carrier that you need to clarify what carrier you have, it should be the numerically lower carrier but verify that befor buying and dont buy a "loaded" carrier. The problem now is if you have to get a carrier you will need someone to do a gear set up. The axle tag will have an L on it if its the trac-lok or you can simply remove the pan and take a look at it.

But anyway lets just assume you have an open carrier. I never looked at any locker instructions so I dont know what they may or may not include. So follow the direction to get the locker in and its important to put the axle back together exacly how it came apart. Sounds silly and your probably thinking "well duhh" but I mean.....exactly. When you go to take the bearing caps off to remove the carrier mark them for what side they were on and mark which end was facing up. They are machined as one piece and should be bolted back on exactly how thay came off. If there are shims beside the bearings mark what side they came from too. The rest is just simple common sense really.
    Last edited by psychobilly; 12-15-2007 at 06:46 AM.

Take note of what Psychobilly said about keeping the bearing caps oriented correcly as they came out, thats' REALLY important and I forget about it. I've seen some 44's with it already marked (with "U's" in a certain orientation, and I've seen some you need to mark yourself.

Web Wheeler!
    Well, things here have come to a screaming hault!!! I can't get my rotors off to save my life. With everything that I thought give me a problem, that was not 1 of them.

Token
    All I have to say is pb blaster and bfh!!!

My rotors would come of my cherokee that's what I used.
    I'm jeepless for now

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    DO NOT install an aussie locker into a limited slip carrier. i've done it in a d44 and it ruined the locker. they replaced it on warranty though haha. if you have a limited slip carrier like I did, then it isn't that hard to get a normal carrier and swap it in.

Web Wheeler!
    I have an open diff. I think I will need a bigger hammer!

Web Wheeler!
    I am stumped! I have c clip axles and for some reason have an very thick ring gear. This does not allow me to take out the pinion shaft until the carrier is out, BUT, I can't get the carrier out until the axles are out and the c clip is off, but, I can't push them in because the shaft is tappered out when it leaves my housing??????????????
    anyone who could tell me what I am missing , that would be great.

Web Wheeler!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! stesul411's Avatar
    1 Remove the bolt that holds the pin in place.
    2 slide the pin as far up as you can, it should leave enough room to clear one of the spider gears.
    3 rotate the carrier till the spider gear walks out.
    4 repeat for other spider gear.
    5 remove bolts holding axle to axle tube
    6 push in on the axle and remove C clip
    7 repeat for other side
    8 mark orientation of bearing caps and remove
    9 pull carrier from housing
    10 mark orientation ring gear and carrier
    11 remove ring gear from carrier
    12 install locker
    13 reinstall in reverse order
    I don't suffer from insanity........................I enjoy every minute of it!!!!!!!!!

[URL="http://www.bigrubbers4x4.org"]www.bbnt4x4.org[/URL]

Web Wheeler!
    I have no bolt to hold in my pin and ring gear is to thick to move the pin far enough to pull out a spider. I need to push in the axle first but can't figure out how????

I explained above why you have the thick ring gear. I really dont think your problem though is the c-clips. That is because if my memory serves me correctly you shouldnt have any c-clips. Look real close and I bet you'll see that you dont. If that is the case then remove the bolts that hold the pressed bearing and axle into the tube and the shaft will slide out.

Anything is possible though and maybe it could have c-clips. If thats the case all c-clip axles have a taper on the shaft and it wont stop you. Get the hammer you used to take the rotors off, sick a block of wood over the center of the axle and give it a good love tap. Look at the pin too, sometimes on a c-clip axle they have a grove machined in them. With those you unbolt the pin and turn it to make room for the shaft to pop in a little bit.

I didn't know there was a 44 with c clips?

I didn't know there was a 44 with c clips?
    I really dont think there is. Unless you count the waggy front with the disconect shaft. Other than that I dont think any 44 ever had a clip on it. Although with newer vehicles you never know. I dont recall mine having one though and I'd almost bet a buck his doesnt either.

Web Wheeler!
    I will give it a TAP tomorrow morning, I am always a little gun shy about hitting stuff (I always break stuff ).

Thread Information