Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driveline setup

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

Driveline setup

So i think im having a bit of a change in heart about what i want to do with the cj as far as motor and tranny setup...

Currently i have the 304/T-15/Dana 20 setup which I honestly don't think is a bad set up. I will prolly keep this set up while im working on the new one.

However I think i am leaning towards the 305/350 chevy motor with the sm465 tranny with a dana 20 tcase. This combo will give me good performance, mostly lots of parts and nice low gearing since its first gear is close to that of the T-18, and i would still be able to keep my driveline fairly short which is really important

I have the opportunity to get a good sm465 for 100 bucks, which i think is worth it, if anyone can get me one chaper let me know. To be honest, id like a junk one that i could rebuild!

The only thing i dont think i like about this combo is the weight of the sm465. it weighs ALOT. The other thing is that there is no OD, which honestly isn't a major problem, considering it would never get driven very far or very fast, and i believe they sell after market overdrives but i dont know much about these or how much work they are to install

Any opinions, other options ppl would like to throw at me?
    Last edited by Megamus; 01-24-2008 at 07:22 PM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    keep it AMC there is already too many chebby powered CJ's out there.
    I'm not completely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

[COLOR=red]Every time I walk into a singles bar I think of my mom's wise words, "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been." [/COLOR]

Web Wheeler!
    an overdrive from GV will run you about $2500-$2700 new. good luck finding a used unit. you can find an nv4500 for less.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    i didnt realize the ran that much, but i also dont need an OD

I need a stubby little tranny. NV4500s are prtty long

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    SM420 Might be another alternative to the 465, and should have that nice 7:1 first
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Whats the difference b\t the 2? Just age? Will it give me any advantage over the sm465?

Web Wheeler!
    i'm not sure but i think the sm420 has a higher first gear not lower. also the sm420 is rated at 420ft/lb torque input while the sm465 is rated at 465 thus their names.

Web Wheeler!
    i have this info somewhere, i'll find it and post it for you

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Thanks.

Im just tryin to figure out what setup i would like to use, any input/info is awesome

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    420 is 7.05:1 first.
    465 is 6.55:1 first

Pretty close. Probably not worth worrying about if you're concerned about it. They're both heavy-duty transmissions. The 465 should be a closer ratio trans than the 420 due to its low first gear. Might be a better choice for the road if you plan to use first.
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    465 is alot more common & easier to adapt to t-cases

the Sm420 is alittle shorter, harder to find, and takes more to adapt to t-cases

If you have a 5 go with the 420, if you have a 7 the 465 is the ticket

Novak sells complete rebuild kits & a pile of info on that popular jeep swap SM420

http://www.novak-adapt.com/

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonecheenin View Post

If you have a 5 go with the 420,

Why? just because it is a little big shorter? You said 465s were easier to adapt though, why wouldn't that be the way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Megamus View Post
    Why? just because it is a little big shorter?
    Yep, every inch counts in a 5

Sure the 465 will work, but it just makes things that much snugger

I personally would use the 465 because it can be adapted to a 231 with junkyard parts (this is what I have in mind for my 88' YJ's driveline)

But then again I wouldn't build a 5 so I wouldn't be worried as much about length

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    The reason i picked the 465 was it is easier to adapt to a dana 20. The 231 would make things even more cramped.

The reason i picked the 465 was it is easier to adapt to a dana 20. The 231 would make things even more cramped.
    I never said it was a good case for you, I said it was what I would do because of junkyard part availabilty (and I wouldn't build a 5)

BTW:, why the hell a D20 instead of a D300?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    yea go amc keep it unique. actually i dont think it matters, amc just goes in there nice. I just got a t18 setup in mine, granny low gear are awesome!
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonecheenin View Post
    I never said it was a good case for you, I said it was what I would do because of junkyard part availabilty (and I wouldn't build a 5)

BTW:, why the hell a D20 instead of a D300?

I wasn't harrasing you. but I dont need help building a Yj. It is a Cj-5 driveline that i need opinions about

the dana 300 would work, and im going to look into one. Its just right now, i have a dana 20, so thats what im gonna use till i find a dana 300, and it will be easy to swap the dana 300 in later

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by PatF10 View Post
    yea go amc keep it unique. actually i dont think it matters, amc just goes in there nice. I just got a t18 setup in mine, granny low gear are awesome!

I would really like a t-18 setup. But the price on those goofy things is rough. I was hoping to get a set up with the low 1st gearing, that was another reason i was leaning towards the sm465

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    i got lucky found an entire Jeep Cj t18 bell housing trans, transfercase and drive shafts for 500, just need to shop around, the deals are out there
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

... i have an LT1 forsale!
    lame

So i think im having a bit of a change in heart about what i want to do with the cj as far as motor and tranny setup...

Currently i have the 304/T-15/Dana 20 setup which I honestly don't think is a bad set up. I will prolly keep this set up while im working on the new one.

However I think i am leaning towards the 305/350 chevy motor with the sm465 tranny with a dana 20 tcase. This combo will give me good performance, mostly lots of parts and nice low gearing since its first gear is close to that of the T-18, and i would still be able to keep my driveline fairly short which is really important

I have the opportunity to get a good sm465 for 100 bucks, which i think is worth it, if anyone can get me one chaper let me know. To be honest, id like a junk one that i could rebuild!

The only thing i dont think i like about this combo is the weight of the sm465. it weighs ALOT. The other thing is that there is no OD, which honestly isn't a major problem, considering it would never get driven very far or very fast, and i believe they sell after market overdrives but i dont know much about these or how much work they are to install

Any opinions, other options ppl would like to throw at me?
    I wasn't harrasing you. but I dont need help building a Yj. It is a Cj-5 driveline that i need opinions about
    Well first off, you never said which one you were building (as I quoted above), therefore I offered advice based on that lack of information

Secondly (since you seem to be ignorant of it) building a YJ is an awfull frickin' lot similar to building a CJ (even the 5 to 7's basic differences are mainly in length)

the dana 300 would work, and im going to look into one. Its just right now, i have a dana 20, so thats what im gonna use till i find a dana 300, and it will be easy to swap the dana 300 in later
    I was thinking of the Bronco style D20 or something then cause I remember one t-case using the entire output gear from the tranny top drive the t-case gears, where the D300 uses a simple input shaft design like all the newer stuff
    Which obviously would take a pile of work to swap out later

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I said having a change in heart on the CJ.

ignorant? dont be a dick. I know they are similar, and i respect you info and you help. But in order to not to cause future problems, i need to keep my drive line as short as possible, i.e. the reason im think i want to use the sm465 or 420

And i wasnt aware of the output gear or w/e but if it comes to swaping that stuff over when i get the 300 thats fine. I dont mine working on that shit

Web Wheeler!
    yeah krod is right- sm420/7.05:1 sm465/6.58:1 np435/6.69:1 t18/6.32:1 and all are unsynchronized the t19/5.11:1 and is synchronized

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Any one happen to know the difference b/t a Ford t-18 and a jeep? What would it take to get set up in the CJ?

I said having a change in heart on the CJ.
    Right, which never specified 5 or 7

And I'm not being a dick, I'm pointing out why I offered info you thought was useless

Now that we know you have a 5, the SM420 is the best bet to keep as much driveline length as possible (which is not only important for a lifted rig (if it is lifted) but also important for a strong V-8 powered rig (I'm assuming your not going do all this work to install a turd engine )since a sharper driveline angle will make things easier to break with that horsepower

Thread Information