Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
***Josh's Low Buck Big Bang Build*** - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ***Josh's Low Buck Big Bang Build***

Quote Originally Posted by MF Steve! View Post
    They fit together like puzzle pieces. Everything is in support to adjacent panels regardless of how many attachment points. Look at a unibody rig that was beat to shit. The doors rub, the gaps and lines are not even. The doors and hatch basically limit the amount the surrounding structure can move.

If you need further proof, convince Josh to wheel the shit outta that thing with no reinforcement and then try and put the doors, and hatch back on. I'll bet it does not go very well.
    I see where you are coming from the flex probably would get limited to a point just from having the doors in the jambs.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew2516 View Post
    The doors and hatch all connect in 3 points...how does that help structurally? I can see if the door was welded all the way around it would be more of a factor. In a roll over they would all help just because you would have to smash the doors/hatch down as well as the roof instead of just the roof.
    X2....The doors and hatch add no structural integrity to the jeep under normal conditions. Now if you chop the rear roof off, then you can start talking strength.

As steve said, they help keep the jeep from 'flexing' and tweaking, so yes, the doors and hatch might not bolt back up even...but its by no means going to fold like a taco.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    For the record I don't plan on ever bolting the doors and hatch back on this jeep.

And there is no hood because the latch is broken and the radiator is half gone so the motor cools better without the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by 92YJCBG View Post
    josh is that the avalanche that blew the rear end?
    no, that was the 2005 and we traded it in on a new left-over 2007 avalanche. it is sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    no, that was the 2005 and we traded it in on a new left-over 2007 avalanche. it is sweet!
    nice dude
    -Olive Drab '92 YJ 2.5L 4 cyl. 5" of Lift on 31s
    -Red 95' Ford Mustang 3.8L V6
    [URL]http://www.facebook.com/s.php?init=q&q=Josh%20Smith&ref=ts&sid=08224d5b5a2d538d53383c6dc50e92aa&n=-1&o=4&hash=386f3c35d984fbab966f16b2e50c02a4&sf=p&s=40#/profile.php?id=1715834776&ref=profile[/URL]

PM from [B]Gibson[/B]:

" **** off you donkey fistting pedofile "

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by XJchris98 View Post
    X2....The doors and hatch add no structural integrity to the jeep under normal conditions. Now if you chop the rear roof off, then you can start talking strength.

As steve said, they help keep the jeep from 'flexing' and tweaking, so yes, the doors and hatch might not bolt back up even...but its by no means going to fold like a taco.

Your totally wrong ..the doors and hatch add to the structual integrity on all unibody cars ..the shell is mearly that just a shell ..a unibody setup is in no way strong enough on its own to take any kind of abuse without twisting and ripping ..the doors and hatch X out the door jams areas between the roof and rocker structure same goes for the rear hatch or gate ..it prevents the body from twisting itself apart to a degree ..youd be suprised how light weight the steel is on those posts and unibody rails ..anyway i have repaired more Xjs then i care to count and you couldnt pay me to ride in that set-up ...like i said before i hope nobody gets hurt

Well I have been wheeling it like I stole it for the past few months and no signs of the body twisting itself apart yet.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    whats going to save you if it does flop ?? anyway i dont care what you do or how you do it nor do i care ..i just hope no one is hurt if that thing rolls

just dont roll it, problem solved
    [URL]http://www.facebook.com/s.php?init=q&q=Josh%20Smith&ref=ts&sid=08224d5b5a2d538d53383c6dc50e92aa&n=-1&o=4&hash=386f3c35d984fbab966f16b2e50c02a4&sf=p&s=40#/profile.php?id=1715834776&ref=profile[/URL]

PM from [B]Gibson[/B]:

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    does anyone really try to roll ???? nope it just happens like shit

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    does anyone really try to roll ???? nope it just happens like shit
    My thoughts exactly.
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

its his Jeep if he wants to wheel like that more power to him. Im sure he knows the risks

PM from [B]Gibson[/B]:

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    no i doubt it ..we were all young before ,i know i was and lived throught it however some i know didnt live cause of silly stuff someone should have told them ..either way your right its totally safe and there is nothing wrong with it ..

^ i get what your saying, but he might not

PM from [B]Gibson[/B]:

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XJchris98 View Post

I know I'm late on this, but the hatch DOES add some serious structural integrity. Anything the doors add is negligible.

Ever flex out your rig an try to open the hatch? It won't, it's under stress.

I know you said you won't put them back on, but can you build some kind of X in the rig to help tie the roof into the unibody, crossing sides? (What I just said makes sense in my head, I swear!)

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    I know I'm late on this, but the hatch DOES add some serious structural integrity. Anything the doors add is negligible.

I know you said you won't put them back on, but can you build some kind of X in the rig to help tie the roof into the unibody, crossing sides? (What I just said makes sense in my head, I swear!)

excellent idea....you wouldnt even need a tube bender...simple and safe

Your totally wrong ..the doors and hatch add to the structual integrity on all unibody cars ..the shell is mearly that just a shell ..a unibody setup is in no way strong enough on its own to take any kind of abuse without twisting and ripping ..the doors and hatch X out the door jams areas between the roof and rocker structure same goes for the rear hatch or gate ..it prevents the body from twisting itself apart to a degree ..youd be suprised how light weight the steel is on those posts and unibody rails ..anyway i have repaired more Xjs then i care to count and you couldnt pay me to ride in that set-up ...like i said before i hope nobody gets hurt

Your right by saying that jeep will 'twist'. Everything twists when put into torsion. Just because something has a frame or a unibody doesnt mean that it will twist more or less...it just determines where it twists. Look at the older style Ford trucks....their frames twist up more than the worlds strongest redneck twisting a pop can in half. If you put a cherokee...or any unibody rig onto a ramp...sure the hatch may not close perfectly as it does sitting on the ground, but likewise its not the sole factor keeping the whole body from twisting up like a pretzel. Your not going to get the 'ripping' kind of twist that you describe by simply driving it...or wheeling it. Sure things are going to flex and move around, but its not going to simply shear apart.

:icon_fU: :icon_fU: :icon_fU: :icon_fU: :icon_fU:
    Last edited by XJchris98; 01-27-2008 at 10:44 PM.

I'll consider putting an X across the back hatch area...

doesn't seem like a fiberglass hatch does much though.

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post

Thats why I'll never even pull the doors off my ZJ, every little bit helps on an already "weak" chassis (for wheeling I mean)

Quote Originally Posted by gonecheenin View Post
    Thats why I'll never even pull the doors off my ZJ, every little bit helps on an already "weak" chassis (for wheeling I mean)
    I wouldn't either, the doors help significantly in a roll over.

The weight of the XJ/ZJ would have to crush the doors as well as the roof instead of just the roof.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    I'm not saying the doors will hurt, believe me, but in a rollover they will just buckle out at the top (the same way they did when I twisted my unibody) - but if you want to be on the safe time, not like doors will hurt!

Either way man, seriously, put some kind of roll bar in there, preferably with an X in it to help the "frame" - but put something in there that will (literally) save your life.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    I'll consider putting an X across the back hatch area...

doesn't seem like a fiberglass hatch does much though.
    If your putting in a brace put it where it will do the most good, right behind the driver.
    I'm not completely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

[COLOR=red]Every time I walk into a singles bar I think of my mom's wise words, "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been." [/COLOR]

ya, thats what I started thinking after I posted...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! stesul411's Avatar
    Not sure about the doors and rear hatch adding any strength to an XJ but, I did notice a big difference ON road after I rebuilt the floor and rockers on mine. Before I wasn't able to notice any difference ON ROAD with or without the front sway bar connected. After the rebuild the body roll was really noticeable, and scary as all hell. Off road almost all of the creeks and popping noises were gone.
    I don't suffer from insanity........................I enjoy every minute of it!!!!!!!!!

[URL="http://www.bigrubbers4x4.org"]www.bbnt4x4.org[/URL]

Trail Leader
    if it was me, id put the X in the rear hatch and atleast a single bar to triangulat the door openings. thats the one thing i remember from hiigh school, triangels make great bridges, (but they dont help you spell, lol)

Thread Information