Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Jeep mercedes diesel swap? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeep mercedes diesel swap?

Gents, I've been searching for a swap of this magnitude. I've got a 98 Ford Expedition 4x4 5.4 Triton V-8. I've been thinking of a diesel swap. I'd like to just sell it for a Diesel Excursion, but I'd need approx another $15K to make up the diff. Since my Expedition is paid for, what do you all think about the same 300TD Mercedes engine (Possibly Dual turbo setup) in my Rig. I heard that the 12 Valve Cummins is a beast motor, likewise with the 300TD. I'm going for MPG and torque (mainly MPG). I'm familiar with the heated used cooking oil setup and Bio. Any suggestions?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    prolly have more luck on a diesel fourm
    Last edited by Megamus; 02-05-2008 at 02:55 AM.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Only one Diesel IMHO Cummins! Our 1T Dually x-cab 4wd pulls 21 MPG. There's no way that lil Mercades will pull a Expedition. The sad part is that the Cummins won't fit under the hood of it either. Your suspension couldn't handle the weight either. The only other option is the 4BT cummins smae as the Ram minus 2 cyl it's a 4cyl. Sad part is they push 125 HP 300FTLB's stock, Turned up around 200hp and 500FTLB of torque. If that's enough powa for you go for it but I'd expect it will cast you 5K to do it. IMHO I'd sell your rig and get a Excursion with a power joke. Less headaches and everything is stock. The deals are out there you just got to find it.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by a11m1ghty View Post
    Gents, I've been searching for a swap of this magnitude. I've got a 98 Ford Expedition 4x4 5.4 Triton V-8. I've been thinking of a diesel swap. I'd like to just sell it for a Diesel Excursion, but I'd need approx another $15K to make up the diff. Since my Expedition is paid for, what do you all think about the same 300TD Mercedes engine (Possibly Dual turbo setup) in my Rig. I heard that the 12 Valve Cummins is a beast motor, likewise with the 300TD. I'm going for MPG and torque (mainly MPG). I'm familiar with the heated used cooking oil setup and Bio. Any suggestions?
    I bought this Excursion for 10K...

If you search you can find deals out there, you might have to take a road trip to Texas or Florida but it will be worth it because there will be no rust on the truck. I bought a 4wd but because of the weight of the truck and the limited slip in the rear end I have only used it once and that was to get up a steep, rocky driveway so I did not have to carry my bags up to the cabin we were staying at.

If you plan on towing with the Expedition, it will work, but the Excursion frame, suspension, and axles are designed for towing. I did not expect that much difference going from a 1/2 ton vehicle to the 3/4 ton excursion, the improvement is outstanding. Even driving the truck unloaded is much more fun, it is like a sports car when it is unloaded, no body roll in corners, etc...

Well I've got the $800 and when to Uhaul to get a tow dolley and they said I couldn't use my TJ "insufficient weight" so anybody want to volunteer some time and their truck? I'll pay for the gas and time.

If you wanna ask someone to borrow a trailer, I can do it. I refuse to use a tow dolly though...I've had/seen too many bad things happen w/ them.
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

So, how about the Jeep?

Does anyone know anything about what is required, how to obtain it, and what to do with it? I've been scanning the net for a week now trying to find info about a mercedes into jeep swap!

Quote Originally Posted by apehead View Post
    Does anyone know anything about what is required, how to obtain it, and what to do with it? I've been scanning the net for a week now trying to find info about a mercedes into jeep swap!
    Start with this: http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Might as well update, RMU stole my money so I couldn't get the 300D when I wanted to. But I got a paycheck coming at the end of the week so its back on! Got a line on the D44 and possibly someone who could make a adapter plate for a AX15 but I would need to add a clutch pedal and linkages etc. But thats a back up if the divorced TC doesn't work.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    i was just looking at the specs

OM617 turbo diesel should be 123HP and 170ft*lbs

seems like there really isnt to much torque there, id think it might be some what of a dog. though i dont know much about these engines?
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

It is a dog just like the 258. The power and torque is nearly the same. Benifits are increased MPG (double and then some), runs on all angles like FI, and lasts a long time lol. IF you want a power house DO NOT USE THIS Engine! You will need 456's with 33's, They spool s---l----o---w and you need gear to get them wound up faster. The stock clutch disc sux, My friend hand made his own bell housing (mercades to AX-15) and fabbed a CJ clutch hybrid to work with it all. Yeild is 29 MPG and it's not fine tuned yet.

Been doing some math and dont think I could fit the OM617 with the 722.3 trans in a TJ unless I can remove the flange on the 722.3 and shorten the transmission output shaft or I have a really small rear drive shaft 10-12"max.
    One of my budies suggested a CJ-8, I've always wanted one, but anybody got an idea where I could find one even just rolling chassis? most go for way more than I have $5k+ found one for 2,500 but would need some body work I'll ask the guy for pictures before driving 100miles.

Secondary idea I find a engine-less rolling chassis LJ and see if I can swap in a CJ-8 top.
    Last edited by DeathBlade556; 02-29-2008 at 03:24 PM.

hey i have a smilar ? i have 1990 jeep wrangler that i instald a 3.4 cummins engin ? i want to take it out ? put a mercedes diesel becouse tha cummins parts for that motor are verry expansive and hard to find. tha mercedes engines are evriwhuer i go so parts are more available. my engin is missing real bad ? smoks alot. i was gtng 24.5mpgs on tha freeway now i only get 18mpgs. it had alot off power but now it runs like if its runing on 3ore4 cilinders and its a 6cylinder what do u guys think?

i have a seggestion i had a 3.4 cummins is verry smooth but tha parts are expansive i had a good runner on my jeep but i accidently towd it in first gear and i blowit up i purchase 2 0ff them for 900 a pease so im ussing tha other one right now but its mising ? it smokes. verry hard to find parts but verry eficient i got 24.5mpgs on tha good runing engine with a 5speed manual ? never whent to 5gear something to do with my gear ratio on tha jeep i have 3.07gears with 33s tires now i have 16.5x12x37 millitary tires & a bad motor but still drive it around towne. But that particular motor is verry smooth & its a 6 cylinder in line not v6. Good luck. & it will fit under tha hood of tha expedition however it is purty tall but not as tall as tha 5.9 cummins.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    i have a headache.
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

[QUOTE=JeepGeneral;85262]I wheeled with a guy from WV (Morgantown I believe) that had a sweet yellow CJ with a Mercedes turbo diesel in it. I'll see if I can call and find out what his name was and email addy if you would like.[/QUOTE

That is my friend Paul. Whom I was talking about.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    I'm lost???????????????????????????????
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Quote Originally Posted by chiller View Post
    hey i have a smilar ? i have 1990 jeep wrangler that i instald a 3.4 cummins engin ? i want to take it out ? put a mercedes diesel becouse tha cummins parts for that motor are verry expansive and hard to find. tha mercedes engines are evriwhuer i go so parts are more available. my engin is missing real bad ? smoks alot. i was gtng 24.5mpgs on tha freeway now i only get 18mpgs. it had alot off power but now it runs like if its runing on 3ore4 cilinders and its a 6cylinder what do u guys think?
    Quote Originally Posted by chiller View Post
    i have a seggestion i had a 3.4 cummins is verry smooth but tha parts are expansive i had a good runner on my jeep but i accidently towd it in first gear and i blowit up i purchase 2 0ff them for 900 a pease so im ussing tha other one right now but its mising ? it smokes. verry hard to find parts but verry eficient i got 24.5mpgs on tha good runing engine with a 5speed manual ? never whent to 5gear something to do with my gear ratio on tha jeep i have 3.07gears with 33s tires now i have 16.5x12x37 millitary tires & a bad motor but still drive it around towne. But that particular motor is verry smooth & its a 6 cylinder in line not v6. Good luck. & it will fit under tha hood of tha expedition however it is purty tall but not as tall as tha 5.9 cummins.
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sloth_fratelli View Post

ha!
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

All your Diesel power questions can be answered here:
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php
    I just saw a 4BT for sale on CL too, the engine 4 spd trans and all 2200.00

Mercades specific section of the fourum:
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forumd...7-amp-Variants
    Last edited by highlandercj-7; 08-11-2010 at 06:43 AM.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Wtf

Thread Information