Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

1976 CJ5 Resto/Mod - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1976 CJ5 Resto/Mod

Web Wheeler!

March Updates

Okay, I got my hydroboost from Vanco. Only to discover that the fittings won't 'fit' on the steering box. Oh, they screw in okay...There just isn't any clearance for the grill shell....Soooo, I mocked up some in 3/8" copper:

I sent them off to Gene's Tubes N' Hoses in Missouri. He bent up a set out of stainless steel, silver soldered the -AN ends on:

All looks good, I'll Hack Fab up a bracket for additional support when I tear the CJ down for paint. Now I'm dealing with the brake issue. I just ordered the fittings to run braided line from the master cylinder to the prop valve. They should be here in a couple of days. Then, it's start measuring and making up the lines.

More later...
    Last edited by HackFabrication; 03-27-2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling
    "In the end...It's all Hack."

Less posting, more wheeling!
    what a build, amazing work!
    -Olive Drab '92 YJ 2.5L 4 cyl. 5" of Lift on 31s
    -Red 95' Ford Mustang 3.8L V6
    [URL]http://www.facebook.com/s.php?init=q&q=Josh%20Smith&ref=ts&sid=08224d5b5a2d538d53383c6dc50e92aa&n=-1&o=4&hash=386f3c35d984fbab966f16b2e50c02a4&sf=p&s=40#/profile.php?id=1715834776&ref=profile[/URL]

PM from [B]Gibson[/B]:

" **** off you donkey fistting pedofile "

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Wow, I could only wish to have time to do some work like that. Nice job!
    When in doubt, put the hammer down

Web Wheeler!
    Yeah, I'm finding out that it's a bit 'tight' down by the prop valve:

I'm hoping that there will be enough room to run the braided lines. It's a real biotch with the clutch mechanism installed, so I think I'll take that apart before I start wrenching things on.
    Last edited by HackFabrication; 03-27-2008 at 09:03 AM.

Web Wheeler!
    Gotta attempt to get this big chunk of iron installed today:

Web Wheeler!

April Fooling Around

The weather warmed up, I did a sandblast job for a 'customer', and cleaned out the garage. Not much CJ work, but I did get the hydroboost bolted up to the firewall:

I'll crawl under the Jeep today and wrench the -AN adapter fittings into the prop/combo valve:

Then start 'measuring' for the braided lines....

Looks like I will need to install an electric fan. The OEM Mustang fan hangs below the lower tank.....
    Last edited by HackFabrication; 04-03-2008 at 07:36 AM.

Web Wheeler!
    Here's what got done today:

I'm waiting for the inline power steering filter to arrive UPS from Texas. So when it shows up, I'll splice it into the rubber line. When the master cylinder to combo valve lines get here from Missouri, I can 'think' about bleeding the brakes.

Hope to do an engine start before the end of this month....

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Dude you should have video taped your work. Looks better work than some of these lame a** 4x4 shows.
    When in doubt, put the hammer down

Web Wheeler!
    Thanks! It's far from 'perfect', but I can absolutely state that I'm pleased with all the work I've done. (Just not real pleased with some of the 'proffessional' work I paid for.)

Web Wheeler!
    I am new here and been modifying jeeps for quite a while...

usually my customers dont want to pay for high end details like you are doing with that CJ...

it seems that the only people I can get to spend decent money on a project are the classic car guys I do projects for

Great work and excellent attention to detail !! I just wish I was a bit closer so I could actually see it in person, looks impressive!
    '79 CJ-5 D44 f&r ARB's 4.27:1
    4.5" RE lift w/ shackle reversal
    304 AMC SM 420, D300 w/ 4:1 <--- in process
    OBA, 8274 up front, M8000 in back
    35x15.5 TSL-SX (custom grooved)

Want to play?
    [URL]http://www.4x4country.net/register.php?REF=5624[/URL]

Want to start earning extra money??
    [URL="http://www.pdxcash.com"][COLOR=#bb0000]http://www.pdxcash.com[/COLOR][/URL]

**If sins were rocks..... You'd have a mountain**

Web Wheeler!
    The custom length SS brake lines arrived:

Also the inline power steering filter arrived yesterday. I'll splice that into the system after I've bled the hydraulic lines. Which will be, hopefully, after I get the engine started. Only thing left to do before I turn the key is get some radiator hoses.

It looks like I might just meet that 'end of month' deadline for getting it running.

Web Wheeler!
    Well, I determined that the stock Mustang was not going to work. It's too big, and actually hangs down below the lower radiator tank. So, it's time to think electric.
    Went to Scrap Busters and loaded up a wheelbarrow full of fans. I got a Contour dual fan, two 3.8L Taurus fans, and two T-Bird (3.8L & 4.6L) fans. The Taurus fan could work with some Hack Fab'n to the shroud. Here's what I was thinking: Taurus fan, CJ shroud:

Put them both together:

Looks factory. There would be a bunch of trimming to the Taurus shroud, and then some 'filler', either vinyl or rubber, to bridge the gaps. But it might work. But it's a real power hog.
    The T-Bird fans are 18" fans. Way too big for my 16" radiator core. But I bet they really move the air.
    Now comes the Contour fan:

Damn that's sexy! And only a minimum of trimming:

It slid into my Extreme 4-row radiator (core has been offset 3/8"). And fits 'like a glove'.

I'm researching both the DCcontroller and the SPAL controller. But right now I've got the fan torn down for cleaning, some additional trimming, and Hack Fab'n up the mounts.

Web Wheeler!
    I got the power steering cooler/filter installed:

And went to work on the Contour Fan install. The FK-35 Delta Current Controller was a no go. If anyone is interested as why, send me a PM and I'll tell you the 'story'.

So... Flex-A-Lite to the rescue. Their new controller will work with fans up to 35amp continuous draw. More than enough for my dual Contour fans, and probably enough to run a 3.8L Taurus fan. Here's some pics of the install:

Mounting the controller:

Wiring/placement of the 30amp Maxi fuse for the controller (other is main power fuse):

The FAL controller uses a regular temp probe, which I could insert into the water neck on the 5.0L:

Routing the switch wires:

A bit of conduit to finish it off:

Switch and lights mounted:

The controller will allow for an 'Always Off' and an 'Always On' position. It works by grounding the unit. I wired it to a DPDT switch with a yellow light for 'On', and a red light for 'Off'.

The FAL controller uses PWM to soft start the fan. It basically 'hits the motors' with a brief pulse of voltage to get them started, then gradually brings up the power. No need for relays. Downside: It makes a 'rattling' sound when it first starts. I don't think with the engine running, that I will ever hear it.

I also got the radiator hoses fitted, dumped three gallons of coolant in, and I'm just about ready to attempt and engine start.

Or have a bonfire in my driveway. Either way some beer will be drank.

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    I love the details.

Web Wheeler!
    Thanks! Just hope it doesn't look like this when I try to start it:

Trail Leader
    Oh, that poor YJ!
    90 XJ

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    coming together nicely. I likey

Web Wheeler!

It's ALIVE!!!!!

Then it died....

I started the heep on 7/5. Actually, I started and stopped it four times. On the fifth attempt... Nothing. Nada. Zip. Chit.....

Took a week to diagnose the problem: Bad pickup in the TFI distributor. And since the Ford design is such a gem, you've got to remove the dizzy from the engine, drive a pin out of the gear, press the gear off... All so you can pull the shaft out and get at the stator/pickup. I dropped $170 at NAPA for a new stator and TFI module (old one checked out, but I'm gun shy...). Put it all back together, and IT RUNS!!!!

I hope... Anyway, it's started more than the four times it did previously. I got the timing set, but now the power steering pump is growling at me. Probably has a bunch of air in the system, since everything is either new or rebuilt...

One step forward... Two steps back.

Web Wheeler!
    Got the powersteering pump to stop bitchin' at me. It took a couple days of bleeding it, but now it purrs like a kitten. However...

The heep developed a coolant leak (and a brake fluid and power steering line leak). The coolant one was a major concern, as it was coming from the rear of the engine.

Turns out, it was the two 3/8" pipe plugs I installed in the lower intake. I guess 'snug' wasn't good enough. So I reefed on them... No leaks.

Still working the brake line and power steering line issues...

Web Wheeler!

Arrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get two leaks sealed, and two more develop. I'm beginning to feel like that little Dutch boy. I'm thinking about changing my handle to Van der Hack.....

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Quote Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
    Thanks! Just hope it doesn't look like this when I try to start it:
    i was skimming the pics and wasnt reading and thought this happernd to your rig, thank god.

great build,awsome pics and step by step info.

good work!
    -Olive Drab '92 YJ 2.5L 4 cyl. 5" of Lift on 31s
    -Red 95' Ford Mustang 3.8L V6
    [URL]http://www.facebook.com/s.php?init=q&q=Josh%20Smith&ref=ts&sid=08224d5b5a2d538d53383c6dc50e92aa&n=-1&o=4&hash=386f3c35d984fbab966f16b2e50c02a4&sf=p&s=40#/profile.php?id=1715834776&ref=profile[/URL]

PM from [B]Gibson[/B]:

" **** off you donkey fistting pedofile "

Less posting, more wheeling! BigDukeSix's Avatar
    Someone should call Four Wheeler magazine!!! What an awesome build!!! Great work!!! That thing looked ready for the junk yard when you dragged it home!!! Makes me want to build something again.. I built a HD chopper in my basement 11 years ago but I don't think a Jeep will fit..LOL..
    Keep up the good work I hope to see it in person someday.
    I am a Libertarian, you tattooed freak.
    DMG
    Stock 07 Rubicon Unlimited , dont really want to scratch it, dont park near me

I hate wrenching..... I love Gibbs Automotive Service

Web Wheeler!
    Thanks! Anyway, it looks like one of the two plugs in the lower intake is still leaking. Of course it's the one that's a real biotch to get at. I'll crawl up onto the engine and remove it, wrap it in some Teflon tape and tighten in down.

The leak in the front is either the T-stat gasket or the upper radiator hose. That particular hose clamp is not an easy one to get at either.

Still need to bleed the master cylinder and the brake lines.

I'm a bit pizzed at the whole thing, so when that happens: I walk away from it. Best to 'chill' for awhile, instead of creating more problems...

Less posting, more wheeling! BigDukeSix's Avatar
    Yeah it really sucks when you spend a ton of time making it perfect (which it appears to be) only to get bogged down by what seems to be an endless line of nuisance problems.. It will be all the sweeter when done. I have to agree with some of the other posts that you should have video taped it. It would make an awesome build book or video and it does put most of that shit on TV to shame, especially with a real dude doing it not some cast and crew.
    I am a Libertarian, you tattooed freak.
    DMG
    Stock 07 Rubicon Unlimited , dont really want to scratch it, dont park near me

I hate wrenching..... I love Gibbs Automotive Service

Web Wheeler!
    Thanks! Sometimes, we all need a bit of encouragement to 'get going' again. I went out and tightened up the radiator hose, I had to move the dizzy, so it'll need to be timed again. No biggie. There isn't any more coolant leaking from the rear, so I'm wondering if it was just some leftovers from between the bellhousing and the spacer plate. I'm not seeing a bunch of brake fluid, but I know there are a couple of leaks. And I have a feeling that both of the wheel cylinders (and possibly the calipers-all new 10+ years ago) are probably frozen. I won't know until I bleed/test the brakes.

Since I got my digital camera, I try and take lots of pics. The internet is, afterall, multi-media. People probably get tired of seeing some of the same stuff over and over again, but I like to see pics from people when I ask questions. You never can tell when you might 'see something' that you can use. Or Hack Fab for your project.

What no one ever sees on TV is the 'staff' of knowledgable wrenches that are doing most of the 'grunt' work on those projects. Not to mention the HUGE shops that they work in. I'd love it if I didn't have to work around my lawn mower, the wife's crap, and my Harley-Davidson. And have access to the endless array of machine tools, steel, bolts/nuts, etc.
    Last edited by HackFabrication; 07-26-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Thread Information