Thread: xj stock front coils and 1.5" x.25" square tube

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

xj stock front coils and 1.5" x.25" square tube

As the title says I'm looking for some cheap XJ stock coils and a location to buy some cheap 1.5 x2.5 square tube... I've heard a few ppl say they have gotten alot of left overs at a scrap yard just not sure which one.

Been stockpiling some parts, the Jeeps gonna change this spring, bye bye RE shit:icon_fU:

I have the springs. They're from my '99 parts XJ. Hows $30 sound? As far as the toob, what are you using it for, that is a fairly odd size. What wall thickness? Call Fieldcrest Steel in Carnegie. 412 279 8785
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Less posting, more wheeling! mudforblood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MF Steve! View Post
    I have the springs. They're from my '99 parts XJ. Hows $30 sound? As far as the toob, what are you using it for, that is a fairly odd size. What wall thickness? Call Fieldcrest Steel in Carnegie. 412 279 8785
    Check the title. Says 1 1/2" x 1/4". That sounds better than 1 1/2" x 2 1/2". I didnt notice his typo in the first post til ya pointed out.

If it's the first one I might have some old stuff thats painted. How much are you looking for.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    yeah sorry bout the typo it was late and I had had a few b4 I typed that it's 1.5x1.5 x.25 wall gonna use it to stretch the rear and make new links so 4 pieces about 48" long that I can cut down to length.

I know joe and jeep and a few others had had luck finding some at a scrap yard for by the lb prices on left overs from a mill was really hoping to luck into something like that.

Steve sounds good let me know when you want to meet up, I work in Mt. Lebo so shooting down to Bridgeville is no problem at all. Would like to talk to you about a having you cut me a few pieces anyways. -Ryan

724-822-6660

1/4" wall is quite thick. I would consider using 3/16? instead. A 20' stick of that from the steel supply should only run around $75. I have to go pick up some DOM in the next few days...if I remember, I'll get some info/pricing on it for you.

Have you considered the BTF back half kit? It is pricy, but takes all the guess work out if you're worried about any part of the fabrication/design.

Call me this weekend when you have some time to come out. I will be there 99%.
    Last edited by MF Steve!; 03-05-2008 at 11:12 PM.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Multi-metal off old RT66 got all my stock for a 49 x 60 roof rack for a little over $100
    trailphotos.ragnorox.com
    A wise man once said: "Fighting on the internet is like the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded."
    "I just don't get all the hype over it. If it doesn't make me a sammich or go down on me, I'm not going to rant and rave about it."
    -OverkillZJ

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Design and fabrication is what I love so this is game on for me it's what I went to school for(product design/prototyping/modelmaking) I am just lacking funding and some tools currently but hopefully all that will be changing soon. I'd love to be able to go more extreme I have alot of ideas but I still need to be able to steet it when it's finished. The basis of this build is overbuilt on a budget.
    1/4inch wall is what Claytons uses on their links and after seeing some of their links in person that was my biggest decieding factor on running it that thick. I figure since it will be seeing mostly rocks that beefing it up the first time would be the easiest.
    I'll prob be running the BTF extreme fuel cell, being as I haven't seen the N'th tank and skid listed for a long time and the Genright one is about $150 more, b4 shipping. I plan to not need the back half kit I am basing parts this build off a few of the ultimate jeep builds listed on pirate. One of the main ones I'm using for ideas/inspiration is kirbyiv. He's using the xj spings with a coil and a half cut off and loves it. stable and smooth. I figure for as cheap as they are if they don't work... it's not like i'm out alot. noching and reinforcing the frame a few inches back to do it woun't be a problem either.
    My main problem in the rear is just decieding on a axle. I have a late 60's dana sixty lined up and may have a line on a cab and chasis FF 14B both are 63.5 inches, and will work fine with my H2 rims to put me at almost the exact width I am at now but I'm having problems figuring out which would be easier to incorperate disks, an e-brake, shave, and locker.

So you're using the metal you need for links? Claytons uses 2x2 1/4" wall. Why do you wanna use a rectangular tube? If you want 2x2 I have damn near a whole stick right now.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    They use both, 2" for lowers and 1.5 for uppers http://www.claytonoffroad.com/index....ep!Wrangler!TJ
    Although I see they do go thinner on the uppers.
    How much you want for that stick? I have one 2" x 1/4" already but it's a drive. If the price is right I may skip the road trip.

Thread Information