Thread: Towing with a Zj

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! cjw94xk's Avatar

Towing with a Zj

Just thought I would ask and see if anyone has towed with a grand? I am not towing anything big, just a 6x12 uhaul trailer.

Reason I ask is I have never towed anything with a rear coil setup. Anything I should expect like swaying etc?

Thanks
    Jamie

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    i've heard the V8 WJ's are very comfortable to tow with.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

I am doing some searching on jeep forum and other sites. Seems like it will tow but I need an aux tranny cooler. Looks like I will be towing somewhere around 3500 lbs so it should be interesting.
    Now I just need to decide whether I will be taking 70 or the turnpike back out here.

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    I've towed with my 93' 4.0 ZJ

bought the heaviest thing I ever pulled behind me was my bluggy chassis on a single axle trailer, I figure it was about 18-2000 lb

Did fine, even on power but the ZJ just felt nervous the whole time so I never got much over 50 mph with it

Pulls approx a 1000lb fine though (Polaris Scrambler on the same trailer)

As for the trans cooler, I put a big one on just for normal driving with this dang 42re, so yeah with towing that would be a important upgrade

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Make sure you get the tongue weight of the UHaul trailer correct. I helped my friend move this past weekend and I misjudged the tongue weight when loading everything in (what I thought was going to be the heaviest stuff wasn't...). Was not a fun drive and I was towing with a Ram 1500. Needed to stay below 50 for it to feel "safe".
    Last edited by SirFuego; 03-05-2008 at 01:06 AM.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    the WJ's tow much better than the ZJ's, but the ZJ's will haul something that light just fine, but it should really have surge brakes on it.

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    I tow with my 95zj 4.0 on a regular basis. The heaviest thing I tow is a quad on a 4x8 trailer, however. I did install a heavy duty radiator and mine already had a trans cooler. IF you are pulling a heavy load, you want to make sure you turn off your overdrive, if equipped, or you will over-stress the tranny on all the hills. If the load is lighter, you can use OD periodically on the highway without much problem.

Swaying is not an issue, and i have pretty old springs (for now). The 4.0 pulls plenty strong and I cruise at 70 to 75 pulling the quad without a problem.

Just make sure you check and triple check all of your connections, chains, and tire pressures. The State Police do random stops and will inspect your setup.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

I've towed with my zj before and it behaved great, even with a car and trailer. The most important thing to consider are brakes. Mine never stopped that good, so planning ahead was important!
    lame

Trail Leader
    I towed a car with my parents zj v8 from pa to North Dakota with out any problems.. and they towed there Boat which was 3600lb almost every weekend for 3-4 years and when the sold it with 130k tranny still shifted smooth!
    93xj - best $200 dollars I ever spent
    91Xj - 33inch TSL's - Some Lift -- Trailer Queen- sold
    87xj - 33's 5 inch lift toy - sold
    99xj - 31's 4 inch lift to nice to beat so I sold it
    01xj - offroad bumpers lift n tires soon

thanks for the input guys. One dumb question, the trailer I am renting does have surge brakes but what in the hell are they?

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Haha, it's a braking system that you don't need a brake controller or anything for. When you slow down, the inertia of the trailer activates a piston, which activates hydraulic brakes. They actually work pretty well!

Sweet... I wasn't sure if it was that or something that worked off of the 12v brake wire or I was gonna have to put a brake controller tomorrow. As you can tell I am well prepared for this trip (sarcasm)

Thread Information