Thread: CJ 7 build

Less posting, more wheeling!

CJ 7 build

So i've finally gotten a lot of the driveability issues taken care of in my jeep and I'm getting ready to do some fun things now.

Here's what i have:
    82 cj 7 renegade
    SBC 305 with a holley 600 cfm 4 four barrel
    Dana 300
    Dana 30 front open
    AMC 20 rear lock right and Moser one piece axle shafts
    4.10 gears f&r
    31x10.50x15 Mud kings on 15x8 steel wheels
    TJ rear flairs and I have one tube fender complete I need to finish the other one

I'm trying to decide what i want to tear into next. I figure between the tube fenders and the tj flairs i should be able to easily clear 33" ltb's, tsl's, or maybe Pitbull rockers. I also have a set of 15x10 chrome wagon wheels that I think I'd like to try to turn into beadlocks with the BTF DIY beadlock kit.

My exhaust is currently a rigged together dual exhaust with cherry bomb glass packs. I was tossing around the idea of doing headers (hedman?) but not sure if it's going to be worth it performancewise. Also when I have my exhaust done right should I stick with duals or just do 2.25" or 2.50" single with a magnaflow or flowmaster muffler.

The next area that needs attention has been making me think a lot. My leaves are pretty well spent and need replaced. I want to eventually ( maybe 2 years or so) go to linked suspension front and rear with full widths. For the meantime I'm torn between coverting to YJ springs or just using some stock-2.5" CJ springs. I don't want to dump a lot of money into this suspension set up since I want to do linked suspension later but I don't want to waste money on junk that won't last me a year or two.

I have some another small things that need attention such as adapting my e brake from the 82 cj7 to the 77 cj 5 rear drums that I'm using. I'm tossing around the idea of using a hand brake out of a car instead of the foot pedal. I also want to twin stick dana 300 which i've been told is pretty straight forward.

Basically I just want some opinions on all this and potential problems I'll run into. thanks guys

brent
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

SOA and bigger tires, maybe some 44's out of a waggy, that would be my direction.
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepxj3 View Post
    SOA and bigger tires, maybe some 44's out of a waggy, that would be my direction.
    youl want some kind of antiwrap bar if you soa it with the sbc.my suggestion is fuel injection.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    deff would need an anti wrap bar. You would need one even with a 4 cyl

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Hell, even with my Samurai's MASSIVE 60 horsepower, I need an antiwrap bar...

fuel injection is something I forgot to mention. I've been pricing it out and a bolt on kit from like edelbrock is like 1500. Or I could junkyard it. I don't know how much they'd want from a yard. I've also looked into propane a lil bit. I found a kit for like 900 with a bottle and everything needed. Anyone have any expierence with propane?

As far as SOA goes, i'm very hesitant. I already have really bad axle hop sprung under. Also when I do swap in waggy 44's I want to build a linked suspension. Also I don't want to get into anything massive right now because the four wheeling season is rapidly approaching and nothing ever goes according to plan with my jeep, thats why I was up til 3:30AM sunday getting the power steering done on my jeep so I could go to Connellsville

go propane injection
    99'tj 5'' locked cocked and ready to rock...on 35's---sold
    05 rubicon soon to come

[I]You're keyboard must be different from mine... I have [B]F1[/B], [B]F2[/B], etc. I don't see an [B]FU[/B] key...[/I]

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

I've learned some cool things about propane such as it's a lot higher octane. So i can build more power without detonation as bad. Propane is on my list to have done before summers end. Anyone have any suggestions as to which tire would be best between the TSL, LTB and Pitbull Rocker? These tires will most likely never see street especially if they end up being put on beadlocks.

Thumbs up

34" ltbs
    05 rubicon soon to come

[I]You're keyboard must be different from mine... I have [B]F1[/B], [B]F2[/B], etc. I don't see an [B]FU[/B] key...[/I]

I'm learning towards either a 33x13.50 LTB or soon they are going to have some 35x 12.50 in store. The website said they were being releases in Feb. a 34x9.50 is too skinny for my jeep.

oh
    05 rubicon soon to come

Thread Information