Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XJ Lift Good Friday

PghOffRoad Old Schooler BigZees's Avatar

XJ Lift Good Friday

Ok, first off I am posting this here because I would rather have 2 or 3 of you guys come to help rather than 6 or 8 's. You guys > them. Sorry I am biased.

If you would be interested in helping please post it here. I would like to start a list and see who is coming and when. Then I'll shoot up directions. I will probably need help Friday and Saturday, but will take any help I can get. Bear in mind, the jackass that I am, I hurt myself. I can do most things, but heavy pulling / lifting is out. If need be I'll post in general, but prefer to ask here first.

That said. I just got off of the phone with RE, they tracked my lift kit, it is in New Stanton and will be delivered today. I also called Currie and my hub kit is sitting in New Stanton as well.

I took Thursday off of work to gather all the little stuff, and perhaps get the buggy in the garage and in the air. I would really like to start Friday morning asap. That gives me all day Friday / Saturday to get anything I might have forgot. Sunday being Easter, nothing will be open and most people will be with their families.

I will be doing the lift at my moms. Several of you have been there. Most haven't. I have a 2 car garage, with a compressor, welders, lathe, mill and most other tools we may need. Both bays will be free. There are few tools I will need that I do not have. They are...

1) Spring compressor. ( I know I won't really need it, but what the hell.)
    2) U-Joint Tool. Like the one below in the link. If anyone has one I'll kiss your boots to borrow it. I need to replace the joints for my hub kit and using a vice / sockets and a hammer isn't appealing. http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...tool/index.asp
    3) Deepwell 18mm socket. I might go out and buy one. If I remember it.

If there is anything you think I may be missing, or have suggestions please feel free to tell me.

I plan on having a cooler with drinks / soda / water. I will gladly buy beer afterwards. I will get pizza when we get hungry.
    Is that a Staun Deflator in your pocket or are you just glad to see me???

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    I was already thinking about taking Friday off this week, I'm slow as hell right now. Unless something comes up, I can probably help you Friday afternoon on, and I have all of the tools you mentioned. I won't really know for sure until Thursday (since the workload can change) - but I'm in for Saturday for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    I was already thinking about taking Friday off this week, I'm slow as hell right now. Unless something comes up, I can probably help you Friday afternoon on, and I have all of the tools you mentioned. I won't really know for sure until Thursday (since the workload can change) - but I'm in for Saturday for sure!
    Corolla carpool?

---

I'd be down for coming out for sure. I'm the type of person that gets into stuff and does everything I possibly can to get it done. If DMG doesn't need the cordless more balls than air impact, I'll bring that too. I'll sacrfice my back for your ribs
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Oh ya...Did you PB Blast any fasteners yet? I'd start now!

Quote Originally Posted by MF Steve! View Post
    Corolla carpool?

---

I'd
    I think that could be arranged, but your head might be out the sunroof

Everything is blasted. I have 1/2" impact, plus a speed gun.

On a side note. I guess putting the hub kit in prior to throwing axle up in might be a good idea. I can lock axle movement with a pry bar through the axle u-joint area. 1/2" impact on the spindle nut should pop it out. I have it blasted already.

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    I work until 5PM on Friday, I can be there after that if you're still wrenching late into the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGeneral View Post
    I work until 5PM on Friday, I can be there after that if you're still wrenching late into the evening.
    I'll be wrenching till my eyes bleed. So I'm sure I'll be there after 5:00
    grab Ralph on your way :P

Poor UPS bastid. I'm sure when my name appears on a package he breaks out the Zee's voodoo doll and starts with the pins. Between tires / rims, leaf springs, hub / rotor junk, I'm sure his back in sore and he is possibly herniated.

Needless to say my junk arrived. Life is good.

During the buggy project, UPS, FEDEX, and even DHL knew me on a first name basis, and often hung out for a little while after making deliveries... man, that was a LOT of shipments!

Congrats, new shiny stuff is fun!

werd!

working till 8, im fooked...
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

Moderator of the DeeDeeDees! Bill's Avatar
    I will be working until about 2PM then going home to change. After that I am in for whatever.
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Call of Duty Special Ops Edition (De-badged)

"The two most common elements in the universe are nitrogen and stupidity."

INCOMING WALL-O-TEXT

Here are directions via mapquest.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/224+McI...PA+15601-6667/

Now my mother does not have a street address as she receives her mail at the post office. This is the house next door. Once you get to this address go on by to the next house on the right.

Most of you are coming out from the parkway / route 22 I believe. Once you hit route 66 interchange, take the ramp heading to Greensburg / toll 66. At the bottom of the ramp stay in the far right lane coming up the hill. You want to take the very first exit coming up the hill. It will be business 66, can't miss it as it has the first and only bridge going over toll 66. Once you hit the end of that ramp make a left at the light which is 66 south. You will travel south approx 1 mile. There will be a road on the left, across from an invisible fence dealer, make the left onto this road. This road isn't 50 yards long and drops you right onto old route 66. Make a right onto old route 66, still heading south and you will go about 300 yards and see a big white barn on the lefthand side. There is a road between the barn and the farmhouse. The road is Mcilvaine. Make a left onto Mcilvaine and as soon as you do check your odometer. My mothers house is roughly 8 tenths of a mile up the road on the righthand side. It will be the very last house before the Amos Hutchinson bypass bridge which goes over Mcilvaine RD. There is also a driveway beyond moms place on the left. It is the CNG gas company driveway, good for smokey burnouts and turning around when you miss moms driveway.

If you are coming up route 70, go into New Stanton and take toll 66 north. Once you hit exit 9 on the toll road which I believe is the Harrison city / Bushy Run exit, you go down the ramp and make a left onto 66 north. You will go under toll 66 and within 150 yards you'll see Mary's (yumyum) an ice cream / fast food place on the left. Slow down as the very next right you'll need to make, which is on that blind bend. Once you pass Mary's the right is roughly 100 yards. Make the right go up the hill and make a left. You are now on old route 66. You will travel approx 1/2 mile till you see a big white barn on your righthand side. There is a road between the barn and the farmhouse. The road is Mcilvaine. Make a right onto Mcilvaine and as soon as you do check your odometer. My mothers house is roughly 8 tenths of a mile up the road on the righthand side. It will be the very last house before the Amos Hutchinson bypass bridge which goes over Mcilvaine RD. There is also a driveway beyond moms place on the left. It is the CNG gas company driveway, good for smokey burnouts and turning around when you miss moms driveway.

If you get lost my mothers telephone number is 724-838-1217 Mom is 84 so have some patience with her if you call. She knows I got a bunch of hoodlums coming.

WEAR WARM CLOTHES / BRING WARM CLOTHES, garage isn't heated. I do have a torpedo heater.
    Last edited by BigZees; 03-18-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Who is coming and when???

Friday
    Me & a friend
    Steve
    Tom after 5pm
    Bill possibly sometime after 2pm?

Saturday
    Me

Matt I may need to meet you around your place around Thursday afternoon / evening. I have the HP30 sitting out and it needs u-joints swapped out before I set the front end back down to do the rear, and I will need the u-joint tool to do them.
    Last edited by BigZees; 03-18-2008 at 10:05 AM.

I'm in for Friday. I'll probably ride out w/ Bill or Matt. I gotta work on my junk Saturday, and probably Sunday. I really think we can kick ass and get this done in less time than expected.

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    Did you check with Ralph to see if he has one? He lives a hell of a lot closer than Matt. I'll give him a call this afternoon for you if you would like.

I'll be there Fri evening.

I took Thursday off of work to lay everything out and make sure I had everything prepped and ready for Friday. I am more interested in getting the heavy lifting / coils / leafs / front axle in. Plus the heavy wrenching. I can do all the small stuff, brake lines, track bar adjustments, yada yada.

P.S. Anyone know what tapped hole size needs to be in the spring bucket for the RE bump stop extensions? Their website is down so I can't look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGeneral View Post
    Did you check with Ralph to see if he has one? He lives a hell of a lot closer than Matt. I'll give him a call this afternoon for you if you would like.
    Yea Tom, give him a call if you could. I'll be at moms Thursday evening. I can probably get most of that axle done if I get those u-joints swapped out.

Oh shit. I got to press studs in. Hmmm have to try to use regular lug nuts to pull them in. Ralph got a small arbor press? :P

Quote Originally Posted by BigZees View Post
    I took Thursday off of work to lay everything out and make sure I had everything prepped and ready for Friday. I am more interested in getting the heavy lifting / coils / leafs / front axle in. Plus the heavy wrenching. I can do all the small stuff, brake lines, track bar adjustments, yada yada.

P.S. Anyone know what tapped hole size needs to be in the spring bucket for the RE bump stop extensions? Their website is down so I can't look it up.
    I always thought the old one unbolted and the new one went in the same hole. I could be wrong, but most I have done used the existing mounting location with a longer bolt.

I always thought the old one unbolted and the new one went in the same hole. I could be wrong, but most I have done used the existing mounting location with a longer bolt.

Could be, but I swore I read it requires a larger bolt dia. I could be mistaken. I've read entirely too much over the last 2 weeks.

Could be, but I swore I read it requires a larger bolt dia. I could be mistaken. I've read entirely too much over the last 2 weeks.
    Have you opened that big huge box-o-parts yet? I would hope they would give you a tap size, if needed, in the papework within.

Have you opened that big huge box-o-parts yet? I would hope they would give you a tap size, if needed, in the papework within.

Actually I haven't opened the boxes yet. Don't want to do that till I get them to moms. Have to put them in a open trailer to take them over, and don't want all that crap bouncing around.

So Steve.... ever do a cage for an XJ before???

http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/xj-84.html

I know XJ's suck in a roll. They are actually the worst SUV to roll in. The roof always crushes in.

Actually I haven't opened the boxes yet. Don't want to do that till I get them to moms. Have to put them in a open trailer to take them over, and don't want all that crap bouncing around.

So Steve.... ever do a cage for an XJ before???

http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/xj-84.html

I know XJ's suck in a roll. They are actually the worst SUV to roll in. The roof always crushes in.
    Ah, saving the heavy lifting for those who are not in pain! LOL...how is the pain btw?

No tube work on an XJ yet, but some badass sliders! I've not done an EXO on anything yet, I don't like the way they look. I've done a fair amount of toob work, and have a good understanding of the do's/dont's and lots of badass mental images (thanks to pirate4x4.) I have the "I can make you anything" attitude w/ this kinda stuff, so BRING IT ON!

Matt I may need to meet you around your place around Thursday afternoon / evening. I have the HP30 sitting out and it needs u-joints swapped out before I set the front end back down to do the rear, and I will need the u-joint tool to do them.
    Brian if you have to head out to Matt's anyway you should just come out to wings Thurday night and hang out. We do free wings on Noblestown Rd in Greentree every Thursday. Ofcourse you will not get your work done Thursday, but you will get to see the old timers and meet the new guys????
    "When you're single, you're exactly as happy as you are.
    When you're married, you can only be as happy as the least happy person in the relationship" -Rules of Engagement

"Friendship is like peeing in your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel it's true warmth."

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

2000 Grand Laredo 2"BB, 245/75/16 BFG AT/KOs

Thread Information