Thread: 1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport TJ

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport TJ

A friend of mine is selling his jeep. Pics can be seen on Craigslist

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/car/612605076.html
    1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport TJ

***The picture of the faded stock JEEP below is what it looked like when I purchased it.****

120,330 miles
    4.0L, 6 cylinder
    5 speed
    Dana 44 Rear axle
    Dana 30 Front axle

Over $12,000 invested! $10,000 or Best Offer, call 724-244-1771

Just PA inspected, emissions exempt unit 3/09!!!

VEHICLE HISTORY:

I am the second owner and purchased the jeep as a project in October of 2006 with 117,XXX miles. I have the clear title in hand and to the best of my knowledge it was never wrecked. A woman owned it previously and drove to nursing school with it daily. Once she graduated, she purchased a Lexus SUV and put a "For Sale" sign in the Jeep. I have not had to touch the motor. These things run forever. The Jeep runs excellent and Four Wheel Drive works great!

LET THE PROJECT BEGIN:

I had the intentions of building the jeep as merely a hunting vehicle by putting a slight lift on it and larger tires...Then I reminded myself of the old saying, "Do it right the first time" and it just stuck with me. The first thing I did was purchase the lift kit which looked ridiculous with little 30x9.50x15 tires. Then I put the 35's on it with wider fender flares to even out the stance. Drove it a few more weeks and pondered a little more on what I wanted to do with it. Then masterpiece began.

-JET Black Fresh Paint in July 2007, using PPG Primer,base and clear. The tub, doors, tailgate, hood, radiator support, windshield frame and front fenders were all painted off of the jeep. 6 inch extra wide fender flares were also primed and sanded as smooth as possible prior to painting, I did not like the rough texture of them.

-All new stainless steel hinges and mirror relocation brackets were installed upon assembly
    -Stainless door sills
    -Stainless tailgate sill
    -Stainless defroster vent

5-American Racing 15x10 Aluminum Wheels
    5- 35x12.50x15 Mud Terrain Tires ** Matching Spare has never been driven on**

-Carpet removed, Light Grey Spray-on bed liner material from Rattle Guard was applied to floor and interior tub.
    -Rubberized undercoating applied to frame, rear axle and underside of body
    -New Besttop soft top with dark tinted side and rear windows.
    -New WALKER muffler and tailpipe installed 1/08.
    -Front Axle Universal Joints 10/2007
    -New Rear Brake Shoes 3/08
    -New Emergency Brake Cables 3/08
    -New front windshield 3/08
    -Custom built Front Bumper to retain factory tow hooks and accept a winch
    -Custom Rear Bumper that I built onto the Class 3 trailer hitch to retain a rated towing capability. **Aftermarket bumpers that have the hitch on them are not actually tow rated..Check out the Smittybilt RockCrawler series for example.*** I only tow a small 4x8 trailer when I need to go get something from LOWES.
    -Custom built rocker guards/rock rails with integrated step out of 1/4" Steel Plate.

The bumpers and side rails are made out of 2 inch standard black pipe which has a wall thickness of about 3/16". The winch plate and side rocker guards are 1/4" steel.

EXTERIOR UPGRADES:

-Rough Country 6 inch suspension lift with Rough Country Shocks
    -Adjustable long travel radius arms to adjust pinion angle on the front and rear axles
    -Transfer case drop
    -Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) conversion kit for NP231 transfer case ***NOT HACK & TAP!***
    -Custom made, balanced rear drive shaft, double cardan (CV) style.
    -Quick Disconnect Front and Rear Swaybar links
    -Front Adjustable Track Bar
    -Rear Adjustable Track Bar
    -New SKYJACKER Steering Stabilizer
    -Drop Pitman Arm
    -Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines up front and a rear one is included
    -Extended Fender Flares

INTERIOR UPGRADES:

-Factory Rear folding seat
    -Factory Sound Bar
    -Alpine Cd player with IPOD modulator
    -Carpet Removed and Rattle Guard Spray on bed liner installed

ENGINE:

Below is the only mechanical engine related work that was done since 10/06
    -Air filter changed
    -Oil Changed
    -New Power steering Pump
    -New Serpentine Belt

Mechanically, the only thing this jeep really needs is the AC/Recharged but I say just take the top down and doors off! The check engine light will come on periodically, I had it checked at Advanced Auto Parts and it comes on b/c of an over temp Oxygen sensor. Take 2 minutes and disconnect the battery and reconnect and no more annoying check engine light.

I often get comments from friends such as "Your NUTZ for selling it already, you just finished it!" I did not build the jeep to look at, which some people would argue. I also did not build the jeep to get beat up in the woods although it is a very capable in mud or snow or whatever else you want to run through or over for that matter. I have taken it hunting several times needing to use 4 wheel drive and not once did I let a branch brush up against the paint or get stuck. I could drive it to work every day but when I own a vehicle that gets better than 30 MPG and I commute over 60 miles in a day for work, I can't see
    spending the extra money in gas.

My final comment is that want to be able to build another Jeep and unfortunately don't have room for 2 at my house without storing one covered in my back yard and my loving wife would KILL ME! I am currently in the market for another project, most likely another Jeep. OR possibly a 95 or newer Mustang GT, Camaro, Corvette or Firebird...who knows!

If you want a real head turner that is as capable offroad as it is on road this is the Jeep for you!

Feel free to call 724-244-1771 or email me at kingvernonthe77@yahoo.com with any further questions.

*****FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME FOR MORE PICTURES BUT PLEASE BE SPECIFIC ON WHAT PARTS OF THE JEEP YOU WANT PICTURES OF*****

I am not a dealer so I can't offer any type of warranty and the vehicle is being sold in "As-Is" condition.

Thank you,
    Brad
    Last edited by PaBowSniper; 03-24-2008 at 12:38 PM.

Thread Information