Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Sanity Check

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    that's why "most" sites are researched for years before they decide if it's going to be a good site for a wind farm...

i find it hard to believe that they would put a 180' concrete pillar into an underground waterway... not saying it's impossible...

oh and i didn't make those numbers up... it was from a fact sheet from the american wind energy association http://www.awea.org/pubs/factsheets.html
    "When your god gives you lemons... you find a new god!"

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Yep, the wind energy association is a fantastic place to learn the truth. I'm sure they're not biased in the least.

Do you know how they select sites? They find property owners, sign them to a no-tell clause, and put up a windometer post to determine if it has enough wind energy. If it does, they start the application process, public opinion be damned.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    ummm... did you read their site... of course they are one sided... and your shaffermountain site isn't... i read their site... some good info... some blatent propaganda based on NIMBY...

look...

it appears that someone didn't do very good research for the area that they wanted to place the windmills... it does sound like that would be a poor site given the diversity of ecosystems there...

however... to say that windmills are unsafe and take more energy than they produce... that's false... will a wind farm of 100 turbines every produce as much energy as a gigantic coal power plant... no...
    but it will produce renewable energy that has a smaller impact on the environment than coal or natural gas does...

saying windmills are bad for the environment is like saying solarpower doesn't work...

i
    "When your god gives you lemons... you find a new god!"

Less posting, more wheeling! mudforblood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dan58 View Post
    They find property owners, sign them to a no-tell clause, and put up a windometer post to determine if it has enough wind energy. If it does, they start the application process, public opinion be damned.
    That's the way it should be. The property owner "OWNS" the property and they should be able to do what they want. It's BS that a bunch of tree huggin bird lovers can tell me what I can do with my property. If I "own" property then I should be able to do what ever I want on my property. Nope, I'll be restricted as long as there is people crying about it doesnt fit into there ideals.

Who says what's right or wrong? The ones that cry and whine the most. Nobody owns their property, they only rent it from the guberment.

Who here owns the mining rights for their property? If you dont then someone could be mining under your house right now.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Never once did I say that I full did not support windmills. I have no problems with them when they're placed in areas that aren't environmentally sensative. I CAN tell you this: those windmill people are sneaky sonesabitches when they want to put them somewhere.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by mudforblood View Post
    That's the way it should be. The property owner "OWNS" the property and they should be able to do what they want. It's BS that a bunch of tree huggin bird lovers can tell me what I can do with my property. If I "own" property then I should be able to do what ever I want on my property. Nope, I'll be restricted as long as there is people crying about it doesnt fit into there ideals.

Who says what's right or wrong? The ones that cry and whine the most. Nobody owns their property, they only rent it from the guberment.

Who here owns the mining rights for their property? If you dont then someone could be mining under your house right now.
    You seem to have misinterpreted; the property owners lease the property, often before they have any idea what will happen if the wind studies show a candidate site.

As for land ownership issues, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Should you be able to destroy habitat of an endangered species, which has one of THE strictest laws in the country? Should you be able to drain a swamp because you want to, even though it would cause streams to dry up in the late summer? Should you be able to dump oils on your property, even though it would pollute your neighbor's well? I can go on, but the gist of this is that laws are in place to protect the human population from itself.
    Last edited by dan58; 04-04-2008 at 09:09 AM.

Thread Information