Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Land Rover

Thread: Land Rover

Trail Leader

Land Rover

anyone wheel with one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...em180229003399

something different, anyone think its worth the money
    '72 steyr-puch pinzgauer 710m. factory selectable lockers front and rear, shift on the fly 4x4, 2 speed transfer case, 5 speed w/ granny gear. and its purple

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    There are lots of Rover guys in the Fort Pitt Land Rover Group based out of Pittsburgh. I've wheeled with them quite a few times.

Trail Leader
    my dad had an 07 LR3 but that thing never left pavement, i know they are made good i just dont know if its practical to wheel em
    '72 steyr-puch pinzgauer 710m. factory selectable lockers front and rear, shift on the fly 4x4, 2 speed transfer case, 5 speed w/ granny gear. and its purple

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    They cost a lot of money to keep on the road. You can spend a lot less and get just as much off-road function with an XJ.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

That thing is for sale on Craigslist also.
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15692

Seems people are asking a lot lately, weird. I don't know a thing about them at all.

Trail Leader
    I've done tons of wheeling in Disco's (series I and II). Solid axle front and rear, coils all round, decent stock engine power, good gearing, good ground clearance and angles. They are a good size vehicle too. Plenty of aftermarket support there, but may have to import some stuff. Im not sure if Land Rover ever sold the diesel engines in them in the US, but they are the pick of the motors if you have a choice.
    2000 4Runner. Lifted and armored.
    2008 4Runner. To be lifted and armored.

I had a 97 Discovery but I did not wheel it much. They are reasonably capable but they have some issues that will make them expensive to own.

The 1995 model on ebay has the 3.9L which is not as good, in general as the 4.0 that came later.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePinzeR View Post
    my dad had an 07 LR3 but that thing never left pavement, i know they are made good i just dont know if its practical to wheel em
    land rovers have one of the lowest customer satisfaction ratings out there! I bought my discovery II and traded it in 6 months later.they're junk imho
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Less posting, more wheeling!
    some one on here has one they were a new member maybe....?
    99'tj 5'' locked cocked and ready to rock...on 35's---sold
    05 rubicon soon to come

[I]You're keyboard must be different from mine... I have [B]F1[/B], [B]F2[/B], etc. I don't see an [B]FU[/B] key...[/I]

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

Trail Leader
    well then im droppin that idea, i just like things that are a little different, hence the purple pinzer, and i havent really seen any be wheeled. i might be gettin my grandmothers 96 xj country with 49k on it when she quits driving (shes 86) so be prepared to answer all my beginner questions

Noob!
    Quote Originally Posted by 96greenxjjeep View Post
    some one on here has one they were a new member maybe....?
    <raises hand>
    I have an '02 Discovery II that I've modified and wheeled extensively. I bought it used for well under what the price of any new SUV would cost and, after 50k hard miles, the only repairs I had to make were to an outer wheel bearing. To some that may be considered lucky, but no one buys a Land Rover because they want that legendary British reliability...

Even right out of the box, the Disco is exceptionally capable. In stock configuration I forded water deep enough to fully submerge the front hood, run through Fins'n'Things in Moab, and gone places that I would have never expected it could take me (and some I never thought I would get out of). When it does come time to modify or repair, there are actually a ton of parts available (both OEM and aftermarket) to support the Disco. OEM parts are definitely on the high side, but there are some excellent online resources for new and used parts (along with all the advice you could ever need).

I've always had a love affair with Discos, and this is my first. I have driven it as my daily driver for the better part of three years and I can't see myself ever giving it up. It's like a puppy: it can really try your patience sometimes, but after a while of growing together you really begin to appreciate it and understand all of its nuances. You get to the point where you can't imagine ever parting with it. Either that or you get so pissed off and frustrated at the damn thing that you drive it off a cliff...

I highly recommend you check out Disco Web; there is no better Discovery resource on the web.
    Steve "WesternExposure"

'02 Land Rover Disco II: "The Mule"
    '08 Kawasaki KLR650: "The Pissed-Off Angry Gnat"

[I]When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - HST[/I]

Boy Scout tent owner SteelCity311's Avatar
    I've always liked the Disco's. But really found a likely for them when there was one in my group at Paragon. Us and all Jeeps. He was open/open; pretty much stock except for mtr's and out performed most locked Jeeps in our group. It did help he was an older guy and knew his wheeling.
    Only pic of it that day exiting "rock swamp" with no problems which was a blue 1 covered in ice and snow. I was impressed

Trail Leader
    haha i hate getting mixed reviews of cars

The Disco's will get mixed reviews because they varied a lot through the years and sometimes the Brits got lucky and made a good one.

I liked mine but would buy a 93-97 Land Cruiser with factory Elockers front and rear before I even considered a LR.

(I guess I just gave another mixed review)

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternExposure View Post
    <raises hand>
    I have an '02 Discovery II that I've modified and wheeled extensively. I bought it used for well under what the price of any new SUV would cost and, after 50k hard miles, the only repairs I had to make were to an outer wheel bearing. To some that may be considered lucky, but no one buys a Land Rover because they want that legendary British reliability...

Even right out of the box, the Disco is exceptionally capable. In stock configuration I forded water deep enough to fully submerge the front hood, run through Fins'n'Things in Moab, and gone places that I would have never expected it could take me (and some I never thought I would get out of). When it does come time to modify or repair, there are actually a ton of parts available (both OEM and aftermarket) to support the Disco. OEM parts are definitely on the high side, but there are some excellent online resources for new and used parts (along with all the advice you could ever need).

I've always had a love affair with Discos, and this is my first. I have driven it as my daily driver for the better part of three years and I can't see myself ever giving it up. It's like a puppy: it can really try your patience sometimes, but after a while of growing together you really begin to appreciate it and understand all of its nuances. You get to the point where you can't imagine ever parting with it. Either that or you get so pissed off and frustrated at the damn thing that you drive it off a cliff...

I highly recommend you check out Disco Web; there is no better Discovery resource on the web.
    I also had an 02 disco II.it had all types of electrical gremlinslike electronic problem light in the gearbox, stock itthad horrible steering, poor gas mileage, no power...I never had mine offroad, but on road I reallllly disliked it.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Trail Leader
    Some of the early Disco II's didnt have a locking center diff, believing that the traction control system was so good it didnt need one.
    LR fixed that ph@#k-up pretty quick.
    2000 4Runner. Lifted and armored.
    2008 4Runner. To be lifted and armored.

Noob!
    LMAO, the guy who wheels a pinzer is concerned about mixed reviews! :p

The Disco in that ad looks a bit rough and it sounds like it needs some work; for a 13-year old wheeler (never mind a Land Rover), it's going to be a project vehicle. If it is mechanically sound except for cosmetics and "trivial" items (A/C, cruise control), it would make a good rig if you just planned to use it off-road.

If you are sold on a Disco, especially if you want to use it as a daily driver and off-road vehicle, I would keep an eye on the Disco-Web forum under "Vehicles For Sale." There is a considerable amount of traffic on there for Discos, most of them already converted for heavier off-roading and are in better shape than the one on Craigslist. Best of all, most of the people doing the selling know exactly what it is they're selling and can tell you about it.
    Steve "WesternExposure"

'02 Land Rover Disco II: "The Mule"
    '08 Kawasaki KLR650: "The Pissed-Off Angry Gnat"

[I]When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - HST[/I]

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MF Steve! View Post
    That thing is for sale on Craigslist also.
    \

if i'm not mistaken....that thing has an ad put up everyday

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternExposure View Post
    LMAO, the guy who wheels a pinzer is concerned about mixed reviews! :p
    i didnt buy it, just drive it. and what is so wrong with my pinzer

Thread Information