Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Dana 44 / Ford 9
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana 44 / Ford 9

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

Dana 44 / Ford 9

I found a 79 bronco with the 5 bolt dana 44 and a ford 9 with a 400M 4 speed np205? for 300 bucks. not sure what tranny it is, t-18 possibly? Is it a good deal? As dumb as it sounds, i dont exactly what i would do with it. Could use the ford 9 on the CJ, i hear lots of good things about them, the 44 is DS drop so i dont have much of a use for that, unless i can get it onto the Yj, which i dont see happening. Could i get the t-18 into the cj?
    Last edited by Megamus; 04-07-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Ill say thats a deal! Its a 1/2ton drivetrain, which would be good for anything up to 37's

As for the t18, look into novak adapters, they make an adapter for anything.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/
    Last edited by jeepxj3; 04-07-2008 at 03:25 PM.
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! RalphXJ's Avatar
    Is the D44 running leafs or the radius arms? Reason I ask is the 8-bolt would be the F250 setup, just wondering if the outers were swapped onto a 1/2ton D44, or if a 3/4ton (bigger tubes and no cast radius arm mounts) swapped into a 1/2ton truck.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    shit my bad guys. 5 bolt(I was looking at a k20 axle that was 8 bolt)

Not payin attention to my typin

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! RalphXJ's Avatar
    The D44 isn't worth much to anyone unless they REALLY want to try and work with it. It has cast in Radius arm mounts (77-79 I believe had those) that make the axle weaker then an older F150 D44. I ran one for awhile, ended up cracking the housing and spinning a tube. Now I'm running one from a 1976.

The 9in isn't worth much, you can find those almost anywhere for $50-100

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    It's worth $300 for scrap.

I'd pick it up.

Bronco D44's arn't as good as trucks, but not bad either. The 9" you can find anywhere but is worth a few bucks. The 205 is worth the most. Make sure that's what it is tho. The 400 and trans is worth a few bucks but not in great demand. You should easily be able to part it out and make a couple bucks, or at the very least scrap it and get your money back and keep some parts for yourself.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Well if its the t-18 thats the part i would be most intersted in

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Just look at my sig...It'll work if you have the time to fab everything.
    [CENTER]-1976 CJ7 Body sitting on 79 full size Bronco Chassis 400 big block, OnBoard Air, 9" rear, Dana 44 front, 4spd, T-18 w/granny, [SIZE=2][B]Twin Sticked NP205[/B][/SIZE], 33" Tires, Fiberglass Body, HEI ignition
    [/CENTER]

-2000 F350 Extended cab long box. V10. "The Pig"
    [CENTER]
    [COLOR=#000080]
    [B][FONT=arial black][FONT=Arial]"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
    [FONT=Arial][I]~Theodore Roosevelt~

[/I][/FONT][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [B][COLOR=#ff8c00]For all you Construction needs: 724-49-BUILD[/COLOR][/B]
    [/CENTER]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Ohh yea, It comes with a big honkin snow plow

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    What kind of shape is the snow plow in?
    [CENTER]-1976 CJ7 Body sitting on 79 full size Bronco Chassis 400 big block, OnBoard Air, 9" rear, Dana 44 front, 4spd, T-18 w/granny, [SIZE=2][B]Twin Sticked NP205[/B][/SIZE], 33" Tires, Fiberglass Body, HEI ignition
    [/CENTER]

[CENTER]
    [COLOR=#000080]
    [B][FONT=arial black][FONT=Arial]"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]

[/CENTER]

PghOffRoad Regular
    If it's close to running, build it and run it...for 300 bones, Why not? Like steveg0690 said, you can make it work.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][B]John Henry Was a Steel Drivin' Master.[/B][/FONT]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    The plow is in good shape goes up and down

If i build anything its gonna be a dune buggy out of it, or im gonna use the axles on my rig and get rid of the other shit

Its also rust pretty severely
    Last edited by Megamus; 04-08-2008 at 11:49 PM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! psychobilly's Avatar
    The 205 is worth the most. Make sure that's what it is tho
    About 10 bux worth of scrap. If its the 203 you may get 12 or so out of it.

The 9" is an ok axle but not the best for a jeep swap because it has the lowest pinion of any common axle. Makes it that much harder to put a shaft to it. The 78-79 1/2 ton 44 front would net you a few bux in scrap as well as the 400M. The tranny is a keeper if it works, there are always uses for a granny geared tranny. All in all that thing doesnt sound like its worth the effort unless it runs and you need a plow rig. Most of those parts bring the suck.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Really?

I have a stack of 203's, but couldn't find a 205 for nuttin when I was lookin.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by psychobilly View Post
    About 10 bux worth of scrap. If its the 203 you may get 12 or so out of it.

The 9" is an ok axle but not the best for a jeep swap because it has the lowest pinion of any common axle. Makes it that much harder to put a shaft to it. The 78-79 1/2 ton 44 front would net you a few bux in scrap as well as the 400M. The tranny is a keeper if it works, there are always uses for a granny geared tranny. All in all that thing doesnt sound like its worth the effort unless it runs and you need a plow rig. Most of those parts bring the suck.
    OUCH! Don't hold back buddy...

The 205 is one of the most bullet proof transfer cases out there. And it's easy to twin stick! You don't scrap something like that! As for the other parts that you just bashed. The 70's ford's drivetrain and powerplants are some of the strongest and most dependable equiptment out there. The bronco that Megamus found is an awesome deal.

Also, the ford 9" is not hard to put a shaft in. it's actually pretty simple.

Steve
    [/CENTER]

[CENTER]
    [COLOR=#000080]

[/CENTER]

pix of this scrap bronco???? Sounds familiar to the one that was for sale in Sharpsburg sitting by Ryans Auto Glass.
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    No differnt one. This one is in BFE out my way beside an old gas station.

Ill still get some pics

Also ive always heard great things bout the 400

Web Wheeler!
    actually at the very least you can use the parts for a cj modification as you were eariler saying.

If it is the Ford T18 it is an excellent candidate for AMC Jeep bellhousings made from 1976 to 1986 that were married to the T150, T18 and T176 transmissions, or otherwise have an available bellhousing bolt pattern of 8-1/2" wide by 6-5/16" tall. They are readily compatible with these engines and bellhousings, and need only a custom pilot bushing.

you can get a complete rebuild kit for the t-18 from novak for about $185 and a good thing to do on an old case if you are going to transplant it into another rig.

the steering knuckles out from the bronco 44 can be used to do a disk brake conversion upgrade on an older front end with drums. (a lot of times though changing the knuckles out you will have to change the steering tie rod to the bronco/scout style when using on the older jeeps) Lot's of usable parts!!

the x-fer case if it is a 205 is a good strong case as stated earlier.

The 9"... well, there are a lot around and they do have the low pinion problem as stated earlier... unless you want to go through the trouble of clocking the center housing section and shaving the lower section for clearance. (a lot of work)

you could easily make money on the project if you wanted to take the time and strip the usable parts and sell them.

:O)
    Last edited by Zoediak; 04-09-2008 at 11:47 PM.
    '79 CJ-5 D44 f&r ARB's 4.27:1
    4.5" RE lift w/ shackle reversal
    304 AMC SM 420, D300 w/ 4:1 <--- in process
    OBA, 8274 up front, M8000 in back
    35x15.5 TSL-SX (custom grooved)

Want to play?
    [URL]http://www.4x4country.net/register.php?REF=5624[/URL]

Want to start earning extra money??
    [URL="http://www.pdxcash.com"][COLOR=#bb0000]http://www.pdxcash.com[/COLOR][/URL]

**If sins were rocks..... You'd have a mountain**

The 205 is one of the most bullet proof transfer cases out there. And it's easy to twin stick! You don't scrap something like that! As for the other parts that you just bashed. The 70's ford's drivetrain and powerplants are some of the strongest and most dependable equiptment out there. The bronco that Megamus found is an awesome deal.
    Also, the ford 9" is not hard to put a shaft in. it's actually pretty simple
    Just trying to save the guy the headache of dealing with crappy parts. That said, I know how easy it is to put a shaft "in" a 9". What you dont know is I was talking about putting a drive shaft to it. Not sure how you missed that one.

Those ferd modifieds were probably the sickest (and I mean in a bad way) v8's to ever run the highway. They have tons of tow rig potential if you tweak them (ditch the "smog" cam, advance the cam timing, add some compression) but stock man do they lack balls. A 79 351 or 400 "M" sports an asphalt shreading peak 150-155ish hp in stock trim hahah not bad. Not to mention its a carb engine, I'd run an EFI 2.5 over that heavy usless gas suckin tired pig and I'd outwheel anyone who had one. Might of made a good boat anchor but it would probably sink the boat. 600 pounds of scrap would get you close to 50 bux, I'd take the money and run.

The 205 strong? That is one for the mythbusters. 205's are nothing special by todays standards, in fact they are just dated heavy dinosaurs IMO. A GM 231 for example has a higher torque rating. Not to mention the 205 has a turdly 1.9:1 low range. A 231 is 43% lower, its lighter and by many standards its stronger. Sure you can bash a 205 off a rock but who cares, thats what skids are for. If your building a vehicle to work around it (435 or t-18 into a doubler, 1 tons or rocks etc) they have their place...I guess but IMO scrap em, take the cash and get something useful like a 12 pack.

Unless you really want the tranny I'd say save yourself the headache and look for the right parts. The bronc is a deal if you need a plow truck, not the best deal if you want a bunch of upgrade parts.

ever see a 205's guts?
    Last edited by psychobilly; 04-10-2008 at 12:46 AM.

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    Yep, bout the only good parts in that there Bronc for use in a trail rig would be the 4 speed if your willing to accept the extra weight, and the 9" if your willing to accept the low pinion

Course if your looking to just build something to play around with, the whole thing would work fine for a trail cruiser/mud beater

But if your looking to build a hardcore multi terrain machine that will hold together (specially in the rough stuff) & be worth putting upgrade money into, theres WAY WAY better platforms out there Foe-Show

As for the 205 arguement, I have a little more interest in a 205 then Psycho ever will, but thats only because of the higher low range ratio which would work out sweet behind a doubled auto (But if they made a 1.8-2:1 low range set for a D300 or any of the aluminum cases, that last little bit of 205 interest would be in the scrap yard lickity split)

A 205 used as rigs sole source of low range multiplication brings the suck on a level unseen since King Arthur - unless of course you dump a pile of money into it. (But you can polish ANY turd to a brilliant shine if your willing to open your wallet wide enough )

All IMHO of course

The Ford 205 only 2:1 and is the probably round adapter which will make it really tough to put a doubler on but regardless of what others say, it is the strongest light truck transfer case ever used by an oem. The shock loads we put to transfer cases offroading will destroy a 231 or 241 much more easily than a 205. There is no comparison in strength.

The T18 is a good tranny and may have a 1st in the ballpark of 7:1. This makes it a pretty low-geared, heavy duty combo. I ran a T18 adapted to a Dana 20 in my CJ5 for years when I lived in CA. With 3.73 gears and 33s it was low enough to work.

I thought the HP44 was pretty good, I am surprised to hear about the housings breaking but I never ran one so I can't say. I would rather have the HP44 than the LP44 that is in the Punisher right now.

I have nothing to add about the 9 inch. It is pretty strong but the pinion is low.

Btw, I put a few miles on my cousins 79 Bronco with the 400, C6 and 35 inch tires. It had a cam, some head work and dual exhaust. Even with the factory 3.55s it moved pretty quickly and had a ton of low end. It was not really reliable, though.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonecheenin View Post

But if your looking to build a hardcore multi terrain machine that will hold together (specially in the rough stuff) & be worth putting upgrade money into, theres WAY WAY better platforms out there Foe-Show

No deff not trying to make something hardcore. Right now, with my buget and time availablity with work and school, it would just be a toy to play with at home, and when i did in fact break something, the tranny would end up in cj, and what parts were left would be given away/sold.

Trail Leader
    @05 is a boat anchor, if you have room and a crane you can build a Doubler out of the 205 and the front of a 203, huge heavy but tons of options especially if you twin stick it, they make up graded shells for the 205 as well that use its internals but beef up the input and output shafts. I been doing some research for what it would take for a 205 to be hardcore rig worthy you might as well spend a few more bucks buy an atlas and forget the headaches.

I thought the HP44 was pretty good, I am surprised to hear about the housings breaking but I never ran one so I can't say. I would rather have the HP44 than the LP44 that is in the Punisher right now
    66-77.5 fullsize ford 44's are good axles to build. 78 and 79 had thin tubes and cast in radius arm mounts that make them a real biotch to swap into just about anything. Thems almost as useless as the np205.
    Last edited by psychobilly; 04-13-2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: "fullsize axles"

Quote Originally Posted by psychobilly View Post
    66-77.5 fullsize ford 44's are good axles to build. 78 and 79 had thin tubes and cast in radius arm mounts that make them a real biotch to swap into just about anything. Thems almost as useless as the np205.
    The Ford fullsize 44 in the Punisher is no prize. It will be replaced soon

The 205 is not useless. A 205 will still be running when you have killed 10 231s. Also, the combo of a 205 and a manual trans with a 6:1 or 7:1 1st is lower than the 231 with the manual tranmissions it comes with.

Jeep NV3550 4:1 1st 231 2.72: 10.88

Ford T18 6.32:1 205 2:1 12.64

Thread Information