Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Settlers Cabin Mountain biking?

Question Settlers Cabin Mountain biking?

Anyone ever bike the trails at Settlers Cabin? Any good?
    2007 FJ Cruiser, Sliders, Skid, CB, Compressor, Rear Locker, Axe, Shovel, 32" Dick Cepek Mud Country's, AFE CAI.....

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    I use to years ago. They were good. They were better than the trails at Boyce Park, but not as nice as Frick Park. Nothing overly technical, but fun none the less.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Cool. I got maps from their website. It is close to my work. I may have to hit them on my way home sometime.
    2007 FJ Cruiser, Sliders, Skid, CB, Compressor, Rear Locker, Axe, Shovel, 32" Dick Cepek Mud Country's, AFE CAI.....

PghOffRoad Regular
    Done many trails over there. Just go to the parking lot in the park and you will see trail heads.

+very flat
    +few creek crossings
    +on a technical level 1 to 10. I would say its a 3 (easier)
    +fun? yes, for the most part.
    +it makes a giant loop kinda, so you cant really get lost.

Note - I want to plan a small ride together this weekend...anyone in? Deerlakes? North Park? anywhere is cool

-Joe
    '88 4 Runner
    '94 ZJ
    '05 Saab 93 Turbo
    '09 Nissan Ultima
    '10 Liberty Limited

How many miles are you gonna ride? I am quite in shape yet. I am going to tomlinson run park in WV tonight. They have some decent trails. I used to ride a 19 mile loop out there. Very fun. It has a mix of climbs downhills, etc.

PghOffRoad Regular
    haha, not 19 or anywhwere close! i am out of shape.

i may not be the best person to ride with for a while. i need to build my endurance up.

if your down for a sunday ride let me know
    '88 4 Runner
    '94 ZJ
    '05 Saab 93 Turbo
    '09 Nissan Ultima
    '10 Liberty Limited

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzikman View Post
    I use to years ago. They were good. They were better than the trails at Boyce Park, but not as nice as Frick Park. Nothing overly technical, but fun none the less.
    i'm just not a fan of frick. it's like riding uphill for 2 hours for 30 seconds of intense fun.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

JUst don't go near the bathrooms....Settlers cabin is full of

PghOffRoad Regular
    7 springs is opening up a few new trails. (downhill too). im so pumped for that....any week now they will be opening the new trais....
    '88 4 Runner
    '94 ZJ
    '05 Saab 93 Turbo
    '09 Nissan Ultima
    '10 Liberty Limited

Where would you be riding on Sunday? I am in Weirton, if that means anything to ya. I am not in shape yet either. I have been doing 9 miles or so on the panhandle trail, and 4 to 6 on a mixture of hiking trails and roads at my state park.

I am really looking forward to 7springs also. I watched a video of the one trail they currently have open and it looked cool. More is definitely better.

PghOffRoad Regular
    sunday....hmm....problaly deerlakes or hartwood. they are both most likely 20 - 25 miles from weirton. PM me and ill give you my cell.
    '88 4 Runner
    '94 ZJ
    '05 Saab 93 Turbo
    '09 Nissan Ultima
    '10 Liberty Limited

im game!
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

Quote Originally Posted by NorthFaceZJ View Post
    sunday....hmm....problaly deerlakes
    Unless I never found any better trails, I wasn't very impressed with deerlakes. I dropped in at the bottom and rode mostly up hill and then tried dropping in at nearly the top of the park and ended up back at that bottom enterance. I have the map somewhere, but probably never found everything.
    lame

I am out unless it is somewhere a little closer. That is 54 miles from me.

How far is Settlers cabin for you guys? Would it be worth it? I Have a map of there and It looks like they have 6 miles of trails (the loops) and lots of other trails marked on the map.

PghOffRoad Regular
    maybe we can meet 1/2 way. i am anti-settle cabin (BTT)....but, it could be fun.

let me think of other places that are in between and I will reply back.

another option is to meet at my place right outside pittsburgh and I can drive the rest of the way.

-joe
    '88 4 Runner
    '94 ZJ
    '05 Saab 93 Turbo
    '09 Nissan Ultima
    '10 Liberty Limited

Trail Leader
    You guys should check out http://www.porcmtbclub.org/ . The forum section is down right now because they are changing servers and I'm not sure if all of the other resources are currently available. You can find tons of ride info about most spots there.

Trail Leader
    Bavington sounds perfect for you guys. Didn't you want to check it out Effjae?

We'll figure something out. Baving does sound cool, I just have never been there.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! cjw94xk's Avatar
    Made it out to Settlers Cabin today. The trails seemed pretty short, but still fun for how close it it to my work. If anyone is up for a ride sometime let me know, I can go just about any night during the week. Also, I went down tepee trail. Towards the middle there was a waterfall trail. Anyone ever go down there? I was on a bit of a time crunch so I didn't venture it.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    do you have lights? i'm in but it'll probably be night riding. i'm fully set up with GPS, lights, etc so we can find our way out.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    50% of the time I went to the waterfall we would find somebody makeing out or more. Just seemed like a good place to get frisky.
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

I was gonna suggest Bavington and someone already did. I've ridden there quite a few times and it has been fun everytime. A good mix for everything, lots of twistie trails, up and down, nice log crossing, some creek crossings, and ya can't beat some of the views for breaks!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Years of hard work will pay off in the long run, whereas laziness pays off now! [SIZE=1](not to be taken too seriously)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]'03 TJ X rollin on some 35's
    '83 CJ on 33's
    '06 TJ rubi on 35's and long-armed[/FONT]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! cjw94xk's Avatar
    i definitely wanna get down to Bavington sometime soon, but I really just started riding again about three weeks ago. So maybe in a few more weeks when I get my legs back under me.
    As for the night riding... I used to love doing it but as of right now I am not set up for it. I was gonna look into a setup though. Any recommendations?

Thread Information