Thread: Need some transmission help!

Less posting, more wheeling!

Need some transmission help!

Alright guys I need some help here. I apparently have some major problems with my transmisison.

Like I said in an older post, I had some fulid leaking from the bellhousing (behind the torque converter). I was about 99% sure that it was the input seal that was leaking. With me being at school (in erie) and the jeep being at home (natrona heights), I had it taken over to Cottmans this morning to get the seal fixed. Basically to make a long story short....I get the dreaded phone call that theres more wrong than just a seal. Heres the rundown.....

1st phone call.....its not the input seal thats leaking, apparently the torque converter and oil pump are bad and thats what was causing the leak. The problem was, the fluid was really really burnt, so the the mechanic wanted to take the transmission apart to see why it was so burnt.

2nd phone call.....after taking everything apart, all the seals in the trans are shot (i.e from getting to hot) and the clutch packs are burnt, ontop of having a bad converter and pump. They quoted me 1600$ for a complete rebuild.

First of all, 1600$ sounded really high for a rebuild (esp using OEM parts). But what really made me question them was the idea that the clutch packs and torque converter we're both bad. Keeping in mind I've NEVER had a problem with my jeep shifting at all and it hasnt lost any power what so ever. Everything i've always been told is that when your clutch packs go bad you'll get 'chattering' from the transmission. I never had any of that.

So what are your guys opinion on all of this? I dont know a whole lot about automatic transmissions and being 200 miles away in erie isnt helping much either. If someone drives past here on their way to work or whatnot and wouldnt mind stopping and taking at look at it to verify that this guy is indeed not BS'ing me, that would be really awesome! I dont really know/trust anyone to know what to look for, so maybe someone on here could help? If your in that area and wouldnt mind lending a helping hand (or set of eyes in this case) shoot me a PM. Thanks!

I have a spare, let me know if your interested, good torque converter.

From what I have heard AW4's are never the same after a rebuild, now if thats true or not is beyond me, I dont have the expierence to say either way. But my spare AW4 is sitting waiting for a new home. Good shape, PM me if interested. Remember its all drivetrain from a 97
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

I'll keep that in mind jay...thanks! I dont even know how to take all this right now......

If I do indeed get it rebuilt, I think ill talk to jay stull before I drop 1600$ at cottmans for OEM parts.

no problem, ill give ya a deal on it too!
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

I know nothing about slush boxes, other than that sounds expensive.

A quick check on Car Part.com shows those trannies (4x4, I assumed 6cyl) going from $100 to the most expensive being $1000. There is one from a 2001 with only 10,000 miles on it for $600.

I wish a replacement NV3550 for mine was that freaking cheap!
    -Brandon

99 TJ

"Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know."

Quote Originally Posted by LordAthens View Post
    I know nothing about slush boxes, other than that sounds expensive.

A quick check on Car Part.com shows those trannies (4x4, I assumed 6cyl) going from $100 to the most expensive being $1000. There is one from a 2001 with only 10,000 miles on it for $600.

I wish a replacement NV3550 for mine was that freaking cheap!

Good call on car-part.com I checked there right after I posted this and saw those prices. I really wish I had the time to be able to swap in a new one myself

Even if you don't, it sounds like they pulled your tranny out at the shop already. Call a different Cottman and see what it would cost for them to swap a tranny, just to get an idea. Go buy your tranny, drop it off at the Cottman that yours is at and say here, install this.
    -Brandon

99 TJ

"Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know."

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! cjw94xk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepxj3 View Post
    I have a spare, let me know if your interested, good torque converter.

From what I have heard AW4's are never the same after a rebuild, now if thats true or not is beyond me, I dont have the expierence to say either way. But my spare AW4 is sitting waiting for a new home. Good shape, PM me if interested. Remember its all drivetrain from a 97
    I completely agree with this. The aW4 is not meant to be rebuilt and from what I hear has such small tolerance's it won't last long. I say buy a used one for a few hundred and drop it in. How much did they charge you for the diag? What I am thinking here is chances are if you ask them to put a used one in they are probably gonna charge you about 5 hours worth which can get a bit pricey too.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAthens View Post
    Even if you don't, it sounds like they pulled your tranny out at the shop already. Call a different Cottman and see what it would cost for them to swap a tranny, just to get an idea. Go buy your tranny, drop it off at the Cottman that yours is at and say here, install this.

Good call! I guess I never really thought about doing that. Thanks.

well with your fluid being burnt and dirty all the gritty stuff in your fluid kept your tranny really from slipping and if you would have changed your tranny fluid thats when your tranny would start to slip
    ask to see the clutchs to see if they are truely bad
    99'tj 5'' locked cocked and ready to rock...on 35's---sold
    05 rubicon soon to come

[I]You're keyboard must be different from mine... I have [B]F1[/B], [B]F2[/B], etc. I don't see an [B]FU[/B] key...[/I]

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

Web Wheeler!

haven problems too

i have a 96 xj and my tranny is leaking right where it bolts up in the front and when i shift up there a clunk but there play in my drive shaft and was this might be slop in the yoke

+ my water pump is slowly leaking and what a opinon on a high flow water pump or just a stock one theres like a 70 dollar diffrence is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by cjw94xk View Post
    I completely agree with this. The aW4 is not meant to be rebuilt and from what I hear has such small tolerance's it won't last long. I say buy a used one for a few hundred and drop it in. How much did they charge you for the diag? What I am thinking here is chances are if you ask them to put a used one in they are probably gonna charge you about 5 hours worth which can get a bit pricey too.
    I've heard mixed opinions on this. I think the rebuild gets a bad wrap when the shops skimp on the rebuild kit...not to say that they would do the same, but its an option to consider for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 96greenxjjeep View Post
    well with your fluid being burnt and dirty all the gritty stuff in your fluid kept your tranny really from slipping and if you would have changed your tranny fluid thats when your tranny would start to slip
    ask to see the clutchs to see if they are truely bad
    I plan on asking to see all the bad parts. At least, ill have a nice collection of used transmission parts for show-n-tell! haha

Quote Originally Posted by familymanvan View Post
    i have a 96 xj and my tranny is leaking right where it bolts up in the front and when i shift up there a clunk but there play in my drive shaft and was this might be slop in the yoke

+ my water pump is slowly leaking and what a opinon on a high flow water pump or just a stock one theres like a 70 dollar diffrence is it worth it?
    This first: http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416

Then, start your own thread in the appropriate section about your problems.
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Web Wheeler!

Sry

Sorry new at this site

Thread Information