Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My trailer question...

Trail Leader

My trailer question...

I use a single axle trailer with a load rate of 5200 lbs.. with trailer brakes.. I think the tires are 8 or 10 ply.. My question is am I legal for hauling my jeep? Its a 88 jeep xj gutted... My guess would be in the 3500 lb range

Ive been hauling cars/jeeps/terrimite for years and It just dawned on me the other day because its a single axle. Just looking for some input on this
    93xj - best $200 dollars I ever spent
    91Xj - 33inch TSL's - Some Lift -- Trailer Queen- sold
    87xj - 33's 5 inch lift toy - sold
    99xj - 31's 4 inch lift to nice to beat so I sold it
    01xj - offroad bumpers lift n tires soon

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    I'm not sure if you need tandem axles or not, but if you're close to to the weight rating, you better get it weighed before risking it.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Get the jeep weighed and the trailer. As long as you are within your weight class, you'll be legal. You do not have to have a tandem axle to trailer a vehicle. It's just usually recommended.
    [CENTER]-1976 CJ7 Body sitting on 79 full size Bronco Chassis 400 big block, OnBoard Air, 9" rear, Dana 44 front, 4spd, T-18 w/granny, [SIZE=2][B]Twin Sticked NP205[/B][/SIZE], 33" Tires, Fiberglass Body, HEI ignition
    [/CENTER]

-2000 F350 Extended cab long box. V10. "The Pig"
    [CENTER]
    [COLOR=#000080]
    [B][FONT=arial black][FONT=Arial]"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
    [FONT=Arial][I]~Theodore Roosevelt~

[/I][/FONT][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [B][COLOR=#ff8c00]For all you Construction needs: 724-49-BUILD[/COLOR][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Trail Leader
    as long as your weight is under what the tag says then your OK, tandem axles aren't required but your rig will haul better with them. you must have a bad ass single axle trailer to be able to haul that weight without bottoming.
    F.U.B.A.R

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by yamadog257 View Post
    you must have a bad ass single axle trailer to be able to haul that weight without bottoming.
    I wouldn't call it bad ass.. Its a Hudson with a wagon style wheel.. with the lugs bolt to a 2 piece wheel, Ive been hauling cars with it for years.. Its actaully more for small equipment but jeeps fit perfect on it lol

as others have stated....

as long as your under the weight your fine....

only other thing i can add is that it needs inspected to be legal....

Less posting, more wheeling!
    IMHO I wouldn't tow anything that heavy, with out Tandem axles at a minimum. What if you blow a tire? Atleast on a tandem you still have another tire holding up that side. I see alot of blow outs on trailers. Carisle tires bring the suck, our triple axle 44' trailer eats em. You said you have 2 pc wheels? Are they 14.5's? If the trailer is running a moble home axle then you could easily and cheaply find another and slide it under your trailer to tandem up.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by willysrule View Post
    as others have stated....

as long as your under the weight your fine....

only other thing i can add is that it needs inspected to be legal....
    What he said.

What matters is the paper. If your registration says it's within weight, and you have a current inspection sticker (which verifies that the trailer is safe for that weight), your fine.

Trail Leader
    i thought you only had to have inspections on them if they were tandem axle or more. or is it if you are over 3500 lb.?
    F.U.B.A.R

Quote Originally Posted by yamadog257 View Post
    i thought you only had to have inspections on them if they were tandem axle or more. or is it if you are over 3500 lb.?

3000 or more....every tire on the road also needs brakes...
    Last edited by willysrule; 06-20-2008 at 05:21 PM.

Trail Leader
    3500 or more....every tire on the road also needs brakes...
    Now this makes me wonder.. I have a 21 ft Celebrity Status speed boat that has a trailer rated at 4500 and has tandem axles but only has brakes on the front two wheels!! Do boat trailers have to be inspected to? cause I have yet to get it inspected which If it had to have all four brakes it wouldn't pass but thats how the dealership sold it ?
    Last edited by betrayed93; 06-03-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Bill Molestered Jebus (again.) BAD_GNR's Avatar
    I believe all trailers in PA have to be inspected. I've got an 800 pound military trailer I'm restoring and eventually need to get inspected. Bill could probably add to this.
    It's about to get all kinds of stupid up in here!

Less posting, more wheeling!
    No only trailers above a certain weight limit have to be inspected.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by highlandercj-7 View Post
    No only trailers above a certain weight limit have to be inspected.
    x2 but all trailers in the state must be registered.
    F.U.B.A.R

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    3,000 lb and up have to be inspected yearly.

Yes your boat trailer is not legal in PA. You would be required to add brakes to that axle to pass inspection. It would be perfectly legal in many other states but not PA. Just like there are California emmisions and emmisions for other states on new vehicles. Not all new vehicles are manufactured to California emmisions standards (strictest in the country) so not all brand new vehicles will pass inspection in CA. But they will pass in many other states that are less strict. So they can sell you the brand new trailer that doesn't have to conform to PA inspection laws.

The military trailer would not need yearly inspection if it is registered under 3,000 lbs. It will probably require an inspection if it has never been titled for the road before and you are essentially building it from scratch. In this case you will be applying for a title not just your registration.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I am 99% certain that it's over 3500lbs that need inspected. We have been using utility trailers rated at 3500lbs for years and they have never been required to get inspected. Even when you buy it brand new (in PA).
    [CENTER]-1976 CJ7 Body sitting on 79 full size Bronco Chassis 400 big block, OnBoard Air, 9" rear, Dana 44 front, 4spd, T-18 w/granny, [SIZE=2][B]Twin Sticked NP205[/B][/SIZE], 33" Tires, Fiberglass Body, HEI ignition
    [/CENTER]

[CENTER]
    [COLOR=#000080]
    [B][FONT=arial black][FONT=Arial]"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by steveg0690 View Post
    I am 99% certain that it's over 3500lbs that need inspected. We have been using utility trailers rated at 3500lbs for years and they have never been required to get inspected. Even when you buy it brand new (in PA).

I'm 100% sure it's 3000lbs....

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06.../s175.130.html

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I stand 100% corrected. I guess I better get on the ball with our trailer, and 10+ other people that I know running around without them inspected either.

When they do an inspection. Do they put a sticker on it somewhere?
    [/CENTER]

[CENTER]
    [COLOR=#000080]

[/CENTER]

Or, you could be a retard like this guy: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/705463144.html and register your custom built trailer as 3,000lbs, but build it with dual 3,500lb axles, for a total of 7,000lb gvw, and get pulled over for being overloaded simply because your are cheap enough to not wanna inspect your damn trailer! I'll be the ticket will cost more than the inspection would!
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

When they do an inspection. Do they put a sticker on it somewhere?
    they are cracking down on trailers this year, a state boy was telling me that they have been told to quit warning people about safety chains and other trailer issues...they are to start ticketing....

your chains on any tow behind must have a clasp or device to keep them "clipped" on your vehicle...

on a trailer the inspection sticker goes on the drivers side front frame rail....on a travel trailer it's the front most window on the drivers side...

they are the same sticker as used for motorcycles...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I'll bet that thing weighs quite a bit as well, you wouldn't be able to put much on it before you were overweight!
    [/CENTER]

[CENTER]
    [COLOR=#000080]

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by MF Steve! View Post
    Or, you could be a retard like this guy: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/705463144.html and register your custom built trailer as 3,000lbs, but build it with dual 3,500lb axles, for a total of 7,000lb gvw, and get pulled over for being overloaded simply because your are cheap enough to not wanna inspect your damn trailer! I'll be the ticket will cost more than the inspection would!
    the ticket for being overweight would be wayyyyy more than the inspection sticker...

that would be a nice buy if it was easy enough to change the title to be 7k GVW...but you'd still have to put brakes on the other axle...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    they are cracking down on trailers this year, a state boy was telling me that they have been told to quit warning people about safety chains and other trailer issues...they are to start ticketing....

your chains on any tow behind must have a clasp or device to keep them "clipped" on your vehicle...

on a trailer the inspection sticker goes on the drivers side front frame rail....on a travel trailer it's the front most window on the drivers side...

they are the same sticker as used for motorcycles...
    So those big "S" hooks aren't legal?!?!?
    [/CENTER]

[CENTER]
    [COLOR=#000080]

[/CENTER]

So those big "S" hooks aren't legal?!?!?
    from what i've heard you have to have clasps of some sort...they can't be open eyes...but I can't find it in the laws online...anyone else heard this?
    Last edited by willysrule; 06-03-2008 at 05:44 PM.

the ticket for being overweight would be wayyyyy more than the inspection sticker...

that would be a nice buy if it was easy enough to change the title to be 7k GVW...but you'd still have to put brakes on the other axle...
    ...and if it were about 7' longer.

I was just notified of a potentially sweet deal on a trailer frame. As it stands, the trailer has an aluminum recycling bin setup on it. That would all go to scrap, and this thing could become the perfect tag-along deck over axle trailer. [/offtopic]
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Thread Information