Thread: My CJ 7 build

Less posting, more wheeling!

My CJ 7 build

A little over a year ago I bought an 82 CJ7 from one of my friends. It already had a sbc 305 in it along with a t4 transmission, Dana 300 transfer case, M30 front axle and AMC20 in the rear. The jeep came with manual steering and manual brakes. it was also sitting on 31x10.50x15 mud kings. I can't get pictures to post but heres a link to it the day i bought it http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...0512321cc1.jpg

This is my first jeep i've owned but I've worked on a couple previously. My first big project was a lock right locker and Moser 1 piece axle shafts. when I was pressing off the backing plates off the axles I messed one up. I replaced my rear drums with the bigger 11" from a 77 CJ 5. I wheeled it all last summer and generally had a good time but felt it needed bigger tires.

Some would call me cheap but I prefer to make as much as I possibly can for my jeep instead of buying parts. I am kind of handy with a mig so I decided I was going to try to fit bigger tires with little to no lift. I picked up a set of TJ rear flairs to gain some more clearance and set off to build my own tube fenders. I had the local weld shop bend some 1.25" .120 wall DOM tube to an L shape for me and slowly but surely cut them down to make the outer lip of my fenders. The skins are all 11 gauge (just about 1/8") and all my mounting brackets are 1/8" plate. I came across a set of 35x14.50x15 Boggers on CL and decided to see if they would clear with no lift. At full stuff they were rubbing a little bit and my stock springs were trashed so I finally ponied up the cash for a 2.5" BDS lift. With the BDS lift I can clear the 35's.

Now that I'm on bigger tires I figured it'd be best to get some body armor so I made some sliders out of 10 gauge and 1.5" 3/16" wall square tube. Attached with 28 1/4" flush mount bolts per side.
    This is how my jeep looks now
    http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...4e3f196916.jpg

I picked up the most recent issue of JP and was reading about the no lift wrangler on 40" mtr's and fell in love. I've been throwing around the idea of a stretch and I want to do rear tube fenders and crusher corners. I'm researching this now for my winter project

I've been lookin around at Gen-right and poison spyder for corners and they both offer 4 or 5 inch stretch corners. BTF has the stretch kit with the rear bumper and frame plates for use with xj springs to get around 4" of stretch. I know I'm going to need a fuel cell (i want to get rid of the current 8 gallon tank anyways,) rear drive shaft and brake lines. Obviously it's going to be a lot of cutting and welding which is fine with me. Does anyone have any expierence with stretching a 7? I'm anticipating a lot of breakage with stock axles so what axles would be the best choice? What suprises should I look for? I also want to keep this street legalish so no comp cuts.
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

Trail Leader
    what gears do you have now ??

Please don't chop up a CJ with a nice body..there are enough rust buckets out there to do that to. Your going to cut and stretch a vehicle that is quickly fading into the sunset. Get a TJ or YJ to cut up not a amazing piece of AMC iron!!! Thats just my humble opinion I love CJ's and clean ones are getting harder to find everyday.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    how did I know someone was going to object to cutting up my jeep. Honestly though it's not as solid as it looks. It's in excellent shape for it's age but there is a lot of rust on it. I'm not planning on making drastic cutting per say. I want it to be cleanly done.

As far as gears go I have 4.10's in the axles and everything else is stock for now
    Last edited by Sycotik Skier; 06-19-2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: add more
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

Thread Information