Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Going to make an offer...

Thread: Going to make an offer...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

Going to make an offer...

Well I had my 92 cherokee looked at down at the local garage to see if it was worth getting repaired and back on the road. Unfortunatly the answer is "no". It has 2 cracks in the frame and a rotted out section in the rear. The guy said it's pretty far gone. I'm probably gonna salvage some parts off of it and then junk it. Tires are pretty much brand new as well as the radiator, water pump, gas tank, and TPS sensor. Not sure whether I should keep the motor, tranny, and transfer case. I was told that I can have the title marked as "junk" and then send it into PennDot. Anybody know for sure.

ANYHOW, here is a jeep I'm contemplating on getting. I have about $2000 to play with. From just reading the ad do you think this thing is worth maybe $1800, $1900 w/out the 34s? That was what I was thinking of offering. Hell I don't know, maybe $2000 is low-balling.

Any opinions?

lifted 94 Jeep Cherokee - 08:34 pm, 7 December, 2008
    email the sellerFor Sale: I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport with a 6" Rough Country lift. 4.0L, auto, 209,000 miles. Runs great, body very solid but has some dings, it was mainly used for off road but is street legal and road ready. All new tie rods, tie rod ends, and steering stabilizer. Newer tune up, insp. till 4/09. May have more but I can't remember right now. Right now it has 34x9.50r15 TSL super swampers {about 1200 miles on them} on it but might not go with the sale. I have a set of 33x12.50s to go with it. Its black with gray interior. I'm looking to trade for a 2wd truck, V8 muscle car, fullsize 4wd chevy shortbed or blazer, sport or race fourwheeler, but may consider other trades. Haven't decided on a price yet. I have a jeep wrangler so I don't really need this one. Please email if interested. All the brown is road slush, not rust.Johnsonburg, Pa
    CrazyAsianofPa

94 YJ on 33s. Welded rear, gutless 4 banger 5 speed, but a helluva lot of fun.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    its pretty nice. i'd offer him 18 without the wheels and tires. good luck
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Thanks.
    CrazyAsianofPa

Alley's official biooootch!
    Based on the description the seller offered, I would say that the Jeep is at least worth 2k. Now thats assuming of course that everything else is in working condition (at least decent condition) and theres no major issues.

Did he have a set price for it because skimming over that ad I dont see one?

If he just left it open for interpretation, Id say just tell him that you're really interested in buying his Jeep but 1.8k is all you are able to offer. He might bite, he might not. That or I'd ask him what he's looking to get for it and then work your way down from there. It looks like a solid deal though if you are able to get it for 2k or even lower.
    [COLOR=White]"When Life starts to pass you by....[B]Downshift[/B]"[/COLOR]
    .....then again that used to be my motto until I got the Jeep...now THAT doesn't even work half the time.
    [quote=MemorEsto;134880]I was gonna say something about Justin being over at your moms house again... but I won't. That'd be mean.[/quote]

Trail Leader
    I'd say its probably in the same condition as yours. Probably rusted out underneath, on the verge of blowing up, and had the piss beat out it. But, you're not really going to get much for that amount of money.

But who knows, you may have found the golden ticket. Good Luck.

I would check for rust...its probably also going to need an SYE with 6" of lift and eventually some adjustable control arms or long arms. It looks like it is worth 1500 without those rims/tires because of the mileage.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    There is no set price, he was undecided at the time of the post. He was looking for maybe taking some trades on it. It does say the frame is solid with some dings here and there. I emailed him asking about the frame, rockers and floor pans. Haven't heard back from him though. I live 10 minutes from him so I'll be wanting take a look at it and climb up under it.
    CrazyAsianofPa

Less posting, more wheeling!
    To be honest I'd give him 1500 and that's about it. Only because he said it's used mostly offroad. I've been there and done that and would not recommend buying somebody elses beater.

That being said, look it over. Maybe it's been kept up.

Good luck

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! RalphXJ's Avatar
    I dont think its even worth 1500! 200+k and mostly offroad, I'd pass unless it was closer to 1k or less. You can find 97 and newer XJs with less miles for around 1500, the lift isn't worth that much. Find a newer XJ with lower miles and lift it yourself, you'll save money and know you have an XJ that wasn't beat on.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    How about an 83 CJ7 for $1600. It's at a dealership. 6 cyl, manual transmission, hard top. Haven't looked at it yet. Gonna tomorrow though. Are there lot's of aftermarket parts for these? Sorry for all the questions but I figure this is the place to do it.
    CrazyAsianofPa

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! RalphXJ's Avatar
    What exactly are you looking for? Trail Rig only? Daily Driver?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Daily driver with an occasional off road trip.
    CrazyAsianofPa

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    a cj7 would be a miserable dd, IMO.
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphXJ View Post
    I dont think its even worth 1500! 200+k and mostly offroad, I'd pass unless it was closer to 1k or less. You can find 97 and newer XJs with less miles for around 1500, the lift isn't worth that much. Find a newer XJ with lower miles and lift it yourself, you'll save money and know you have an XJ that wasn't beat on.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by limegreentj View Post
    a cj7 would be a miserable dd, IMO.
    Meh, comfort is over rated... I daily drove my '8 until it went in for surgery, wasn't that bad. But, I'm a CJ fan, if it's got a solid frame and body that's a fairly rare find. Lots of parts out there.
    1984 Scrambler - On the road again
    1984 Toyota pickup - Rust
    1985 Toyota pickup - More rust
    1990 Toyota pickup - Less rust, more blown timing chain

Previously: LB Offroader
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyasianofpa View Post
    I was told that I can have the title marked as "junk" and then send it into PennDot. Anybody know for sure.
    Do not sale the vehicle to a private party without going to a Notary. The vehicle will still be in your name and they could use the title in a form of identity theft. It could be a few years later and you could get a call from a cop from out of state saying your vehicle was involved in a crime. The buyer is responsible for the Notary fees. If you go to a scrap yard, then they can handle the title.

Trail Leader
    Doug is right the last thing that you need is a state trooper knocking at your door telling you that the vehicle in your driveway is a stollen and wanted to know why it is in you possession. It looks like it would be sweet offroad, but with that many miles and being offroaded i would have to assume that the thing was beat on. just a hunch.
    [CENTER]90 JEEP YJ, 3 1/2 lift, [/CENTER]
    [CENTER]31x10.50x15 mudders, Snorkel, [/CENTER]
    [CENTER]OBA setup, [/CENTER]
    [CENTER]Front rock crawler bumper[/CENTER]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

I checked the Jeep out last friday. Perfect shape. The frame was solid, there was only one dent in the original rocker panels, solid floor pans, no rust on the body. It was NICE. He really didn't want to get rid of it but was going to let me take a crack at buying it. If I didn't buy it he planned on keeping it and putting (what he said) an 11 inch lift on it. That night while driving home the oil pressure gauge started acting erratic. He thought maybe it was the, I want to say uh, sender? Anyhow he called tonight and said it might be the oil pump and that the motor might need pulled. It figures. It was one hell of a nice jeep for $1800.
    CrazyAsianofPa

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Did he replace the sender? They're about $15 from advance and an easy fix. They go bad pretty often on xjs.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    He said he had the sender checked out and it wasn't the problem. I kinda think he may have changed his mind about wanting to sell it and that he might just be blowing a little smoke up my arse. I wouldn't blame him, it's damn nice, but atleast tell me the truth.
    CrazyAsianofPa

PghOffRoad Regular
    It has 2 cracks in the frame and a rotted out section in the rear. The guy said it's pretty far gone.
    You mean the frame rails that are built into the unibody or the subframe where the engine sits? If it's the subframe and you know someone who welds you could fix it for a lot less than what you're looking to spend on a new jeep.

209,000 miles. Runs great, body very solid but has some dings, it was mainly used for off road but is street legal and road ready.
    209k is a lot of miles, especially if it's gonna be your daily driver - do you have a back up ride for when it's in the shop? I don't think you need to worry about 1800 being a lowball offer for something with over 200k on it. If you are serious about buying it, get a mechanic to check it out and make sure it's not gonna rape your wallet next time you go to get it inspected.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-17-2008 at 10:46 PM.

Thread Information