Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The heep is almost complete... - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The heep is almost complete...

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I got the bumper all done this weekend. The end caps were a pain to line up but I think they ended up pretty good. They bolt to the main section in 4 places then to the Jeep in 2. They should hold up really well when coming off of ledges and stuff. I know everyone likes pics so here's a few:

I wanted to add more clearance for when I step up in tire size. Believe it or not, the 33's would rub where they were. I just did relief cuts instead of removing anything. This way I don't fawk up the pinch seam.

I cut a little too far on some lines, as you can probably see. I put about fifty coats of paint down and I will be running flares for a long time so it's ok

Here's a pick of my flare hack job. They're just flares though lol. These should hold up much better than the BWs.

Heat the hole freeze the shaft

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    damn...thats one sexy matcheen
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

very nice, what tires you gunna be running this year
    99'tj 5'' locked cocked and ready to rock...on 35's---sold
    05 rubicon soon to come

[I]You're keyboard must be different from mine... I have [B]F1[/B], [B]F2[/B], etc. I don't see an [B]FU[/B] key...[/I]

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

I like the rear bumper, Tom. I'm digging the superwinch and synthetic. My favorite thing about the synthetic conversion on my superwinch was not having a ginormous fairlead sticking off my bumper.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

Thanks!

Ben, I'm going for 35"KM2s or 36"Trxus. I'm hoping to have something by the first BDS event. With that comes upgraded shafts for the D30 though, and that's almost impossible at this point.

Jared, I can't wait to try out the synthetic. The cable I had was a mess! Did you go with 3/8 or 5/16?

Also, how did you mount your rope to the spool? It uses a set screw so I had to cut the little eye off of the rope and feed it through. It should work but I'm open to suggestions.
    Last edited by Deadman 94 xj; 03-24-2009 at 11:58 AM.

very nice id like to get some km2s buy when your a college student its kinda impossible haha
    05 rubicon soon to come

[I]You're keyboard must be different from mine... I have [B]F1[/B], [B]F2[/B], etc. I don't see an [B]FU[/B] key...[/I]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    Thanks!

Jared, I can't wait to try out the synthetic. The cable I had was a mess! Did you go with 3/8 or 5/16?
    if you want to try that synthetic you prob shouldn't make your rig so capable.
    or you could use it to pull my xj out the mud I guess...

looks real good man..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It really is sad that stupidity isn't as painful for the stupid as it is for those forced to witness it!"

nice .. whats the bracket thing on the rear axle, towards the center?? are you going to run coils and arms back there??

Quote Originally Posted by trailblaze View Post
    nice .. whats the bracket thing on the rear axle, towards the center?? are you going to run coils and arms back there??
    It's for the traction bar that I still have to put together. I need to figure out a belly skid that I'll mount the front of the bar to. That one won't be for a while.
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

Some more hardcore tech for you guys... (it's really for me)

I picked up a soundbar for the jeep so that I could get rid of the shitty 6x9 boxes in the cargo area, seen in a few pics above.

It was pretty ugly so I decided to refurbish it.

I used a black stretchy fabric and a nylon net material. I used some 3M spray adhesive for the first layer. That stuff kicks ass. I'd recommend it for your saggy headliner.

I think it turned out pretty good. Now I just have to hook it up and rock on.

very nice
    05 rubicon soon to come

My shocks are shot! All four. I knew they were bad but I didn't think they were all bad.

I got the rear Edelbrock back from being rebuilt. I picked these up from their recent 70% off sale. Time will tell how long they hold up. I think the remotes were more trouble than they're worth, I don't do high speed stuff.
    I wanted to see what these shocks were all about. They have a different valving system than a standard offroad shock. They're supposed to be soft on bumps and firm on the smooth stuff/street and reduce body roll. Not the ideal setup for desert racing but I think it would be more than ideal for the rocks and trails around here.

I went with Bilstein 5125s for the front. They're the same shock as the 5150 but without the reservoir. 255/70 valving.

Obviously the ride is much better than before but I can't say it met my expectations. I could have gone with a stiffer valving up front but 7100s are way out of my price range at this point. The rears are great. The body roll is 10x better than before. I have 4.5" up and 6.5" down on all four corners. I didn't go with too much down travel because unsprung weight becomes useless at a certain point.

The real test will be off road.

(If anyone wants to know how to measure for shocks, take a static measurement and call somebody that knows what they're talking about)

-On a side note, I painted the gas tank skid BLACK again. I'm not sure WTF I was thinking on that one lol. You could see the damn skid coming a mile away.
    Last edited by Deadman 94 xj; 04-22-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Looks good man, I can't wait to get you stuck this summer
    But seriously we are gona have a blast this year the trails are coming along awsome, there is tons of new really chalenging and technical stuff.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

awesome
    05 rubicon soon to come

Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    Looks good man, I can't wait to get you stuck this summer
    But seriously we are gona have a blast this year the trails are coming along awsome, there is tons of new really chalenging and technical stuff.

Thanks. You know what really sucks? My wedding is JUNE 6th!!!
    You guys really need to change that date!

You got to talk to rob about that one. What's the problem anyway? You meant you can't talk her into an offroading hunnymoon?
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    You got to talk to rob about that one. What's the problem anyway? You meant you can't talk her into an offroading hunnymoon?
    Ha! I can't even get her to come on a regular trip, and she owns a jeep! I'm going to miss that one. I'm hoping to get a group together sometime in late june so I can get my butt up there.

Cool if you do I'll be there, but you can't count me as one of your ten. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by 96greenxjjeep View Post
    awesome
    Thanks Ben.

my school is planning a trip to the badlands in june if you wanna go with us then
    05 rubicon soon to come

Got new meats!!!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    looks nice man, not too high at all... what are those tires?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It really is sad that stupidity isn't as painful for the stupid as it is for those forced to witness it!"

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    look like either krawlers or bfg km2...my guess is the bfg km2 since its driven on the road
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Thanks. Yeah, they're the BFG km2. Steve helped me haul them home from National Wheel & Tire in WV (Thanks again dude!). The lugs look a lot thicker than the pictures I've seen of them. I can't imagine what Krawlers would look like.

35-12.50-15

There's a rumor going around that BFG has stopped production on the 35's. A few people have called BFG and were told that they were going to stop production until Sept. 09 ,but that was short lived and they are being produced again.

I called and talked to two reps from NTW and both said they wouldn't have anything until September. I called a third time and got a different rep on the phone that told me they had 8 in stock but this would be it for a while.

I also called www.4wd.com and they told me that they would be out for 6 months, the same with www.tirerack.com. It seems odd that these big name retailers would have their info mixed up, unless they either don't know that they're being produced or BFG is full of sheet.
    Last edited by Deadman 94 xj; 04-20-2009 at 12:06 AM.

Thread Information