Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lift Kit Decisions

Alley's official biooootch!

Lift Kit Decisions

I've finally been able to come to the point where I not only have enough saved up to pay off this last year of school but I have enough extra dough to finally upgrade to a better lift.

I bought my Jeep about two years ago not knowing much about Jeeps and the types of lift, etc. The PO put a 2" BL on it as well as some enormous shackles to be able to clear 33" tires. I'm a perfectionist and I know that if somethings not done right the first time around it leaves a big chance for something bad to happen down the road. If people say their rigs ride like bricks after certain lift kit installs I dont even want to try and describe how mine feels driving it around with what it has on it now.

I have done tons and tons of research and have narrowed it down to the two top of the line lifts I could do (short of SOA) Bottom line, while this isn't as hardcore of a build as others have going on, I am extremellllllly indecisive and wanted some help on a decision based on pure opinions alone, whether it came from previous experience yourself or something you've heard, I just want to know what lift you guys think I should run. Btw this is all for a 93 YJ.

CHOICE NUMBER 1:
    3.5" BDS Lift (love the warranty) - $860 shipped to my local dealer
    5/8" M.O.R.E. Booms - $200
    T-case drop kit
    No SYE
    Keep the 2" BL (possibily)

Total Cost: Roughly $1060 to $1100

CHOICE NUMBER 2:
    4.5" RE XD - $1020 shipped
    SYE from an online vendor - $170 shipped
    Junkyard XJ front DS - $60
    Cutting and balancing - $60ish?
    8* steel shims - $30
    Getting rid of shitty body lift!

Total Cost: Roughly $1350

The total costs obviously reflect just the cost of the lift and any other necessary components not including hardware. If anybody can think of anything else I might need feel free to add in since I've never done this before.

Anyways thanks in advance for any help that is given. I just wanted the opinions of others who have already been there and done that to give me some opinions on what I should run.
    [COLOR=White]"When Life starts to pass you by....[B]Downshift[/B]"[/COLOR]
    .....then again that used to be my motto until I got the Jeep...now THAT doesn't even work half the time.
    [quote=MemorEsto;134880]I was gonna say something about Justin being over at your moms house again... but I won't. That'd be mean.[/quote]

I don't know that I'd buy a complete kit for a YJ. I really see no point in paying for brackets and other stuff you really don't need, such as track bar shit, etc. IMO, I'd get some good spring packs, shocks, and the necessary hardware.

4 good spring packs
    4 good shocks/steering stabilizer
    4 good shackles
    Extended braided stainless brake lines
    SYE, and your cut XJ shaft
    JKS swaybar discos, if you really want a swaybar on a YJ
    Steel degree shims of the correct angle

You probably won't save a huge amount of money, but you're getting good quality and exactly what you need to be 100% capable and functional.
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Less posting, more wheeling!
    If you only need to clear 33"s, you can do that w/o going to a 4.5" lift. You could do a 3" lift with TJ flares and easily run 33"s.

I would go with RE's kit, but im kind of partial. Im not sure how their YJ stuff is, but im happy with their stuff for my XJ. I think you could piece something together a little cheaper than the $1350 price tag you mentioned though. Its a YJ, so you dont need sway-bars or trac-bars. Just get rid of them and save yourself the money on quick disco's and longer trac-bars. Invest in good springs, extended brake lines, and shocks. If your after more flex (lol yes, flex on a YJ), then go with a 3.5" spring and a small shackle lift to help with that. Avoid the TC drop and do a SYE if you can afford it. At 4", your probably going to need one to help with driveline vibes.

Something else to consider is your plans for a rear driveshaft. Since yours is a 93, you may have the larger style U-joint than the XJ. 94-95 YJ's used a larger 1330 style U-joint whereas the TJ's, XJ's, and most other YJ's use the smaller 1310. Like I said, with yours being a 93, you may or may not have the different size. Best thing to do would be measure the one you have now and compare it to confirm which size you have. You could run a hybird 1330-1310 Joint, but why make things difficult?

Remember too, its a 93, so most of the bolts you have to remove are probably going to be rusted. Plan on having to cut most, if not ALL the bolts out and replace with quality bolts. ((Hint hint, hardware prices add up quickly)) What rear axle are you running? D35? If so, now may be a good time to think about replacing that with something a little more stout.

id say RE, due to all the positve feed back ive read.

oh im glad you have FINALLY narrowed it down to two.
    -Olive Drab '92 YJ 2.5L 4 cyl. 5" of Lift on 31s
    -Red 95' Ford Mustang 3.8L V6
    [URL]http://www.facebook.com/s.php?init=q&q=Josh%20Smith&ref=ts&sid=08224d5b5a2d538d53383c6dc50e92aa&n=-1&o=4&hash=386f3c35d984fbab966f16b2e50c02a4&sf=p&s=40#/profile.php?id=1715834776&ref=profile[/URL]

PM from [B]Gibson[/B]:

" **** off you donkey fistting pedofile "

[quote=XJchris98;117845}. You could run a hybird 1330-1310 Joint, but why make things difficult?

Remember too, its a 93, so most of the bolts you have to remove are probably going to be rusted. Plan on having to cut most, if not ALL the bolts out and replace with quality bolts. ((Hint hint, hardware prices add up quickly)) What rear axle are you running? D35? If so, now may be a good time to think about replacing that with something a little more stout.[/quote]

The rust on this thing is surprisingly non-existent. It originally came from California and I think its only been on the east coast side for maybe 3 years tops before I bought it. I am running a D35 and have been forever researching an 8.8 which im sure will come very soon I just dont think I can get it done before the end of this summer. I have considered piecing everything together but like you said would I really be saving myself that much money in the end? Im open for all options pretty much, Im just trying to make this as least problematic as possible seeing as how once I get back to school I wont have a ton of additional time to mess around with collecting parts.
    .....then again that used to be my motto until I got the Jeep...now THAT doesn't even work half the time.
    [quote=MemorEsto;134880]I was gonna say something about Justin being over at your moms house again... but I won't. That'd be mean.[/quote]

Less posting, more wheeling! BigDukeSix's Avatar
    I have a BDS on my JK. Love it so far.They were a great company to deal with. If you use their Their warranty is top shelf. They take the time to talk to you if you have any questions. RE stuff is awesome too. Those were the two I companies I was considering when I did mine. In my opinion if you're not going to piece it together like Steve suggested one of those kits would be more than capable.

BDS has a cool video posted on the site of the Coal Hollow park outback adventure.http://www.bds-suspension.com/
    I am a Libertarian, you tattooed freak.
    DMG
    Stock 07 Rubicon Unlimited , dont really want to scratch it, dont park near me

I hate wrenching..... I love Gibbs Automotive Service

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by MF Steve! View Post
    I don't know that I'd buy a complete kit for a YJ. I really see no point in paying for brackets and other stuff you really don't need, such as track bar shit, etc. IMO, I'd get some good spring packs, shocks, and the necessary hardware.

4 good spring packs
    4 good shocks/steering stabilizer
    4 good shackles
    Extended braided stainless brake lines
    SYE, and your cut XJ shaft
    JKS swaybar discos, if you really want a swaybar on a YJ
    Steel degree shims of the correct angle

You probably won't save a huge amount of money, but you're getting good quality and exactly what you need to be 100% capable and functional.
    X2 ..id piece together exactly what i wanted and ditch the trac bars and crap

I love my bds lift. I've been wheeling with two of the BDS sales reps this year and they are great guys. The one at Coal hollow had a gorgeous female with him. They are great to deal with. I haven;t had any problems with mine yet but i've seen people have things break and the BDS guy gives them new parts asap.
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

Well Ill catch on the advice to piece together my own lift and plan to start pricing up some parts. What does everyone recommend for a decent shock? I'm not looking for something that will break the bank but at the same time is not completely crap.

if you get together a list of parts you need, email them to me or send me a pm and I can piece together a package deal for you, or if you decide to go with an RE kit I might could help you out there too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

can you help me with cheap 33s haha??
    [URL]http://www.facebook.com/s.php?init=q&q=Josh%20Smith&ref=ts&sid=08224d5b5a2d538d53383c6dc50e92aa&n=-1&o=4&hash=386f3c35d984fbab966f16b2e50c02a4&sf=p&s=40#/profile.php?id=1715834776&ref=profile[/URL]

PM from [B]Gibson[/B]:

sure....what kind?

as long as you don't fly a bengal or brown flag on your truck I can give you a deal...lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by steelhumm View Post
    sure....what kind?

as long as you don't fly a bengal or brown flag on your truck I can give you a deal...lol
    no sir, stillers all the way. Im actully goign to my first game this year against Cincy.

im looking for cheap,the extremely pre-used/beat tires i have wont get me thru the winter esspacally driving to college everyday.

just something with a decent tread design.

thanks

PM from [B]Gibson[/B]:

something in the all terrain catagory? or mud terrain?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

something in the all terrain catagory? or mud terrain?
    honestly what ever is cheaper due to a very low budget. im leaning toward Mud terrain tho. what sort of price am i looking at for 4?

thanks im barry by the way
    Last edited by 92YJCBG; 08-08-2008 at 11:31 AM.

PM from [B]Gibson[/B]:

Barry, I'll check some #'s for you

Mike

sorry for the thread jack...lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

forgot...what size? 33 " diameter...what size rim? I would assume a 15 cause it's a 92...but wanted to be sure
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Piece it together, and ditch that BL. RE makes an outstanding lift (XD4.5). You shouldn't even bother with the track bars or discos. You just don't need either one of them. I would definitely to an 8.8 if you are going through the effort. D35s bringeth teh suck.

forgot...what size? 33 " diameter...what size rim? I would assume a 15 cause it's a 92...but wanted to be sure
    sorry for the hyjack justin,

yeah 15x8 4" BS looking for a 33x10.50 or 12.50 see what the price difference is.

PM from [B]Gibson[/B]:

if you get together a list of parts you need, email them to me or send me a pm and I can piece together a package deal for you, or if you decide to go with an RE kit I might could help you out there too!
    Im working on a list as I type this. I'm just trying to get it all done in one shot with as few setbacks as possibly since Im strapped for time once school starts.

ive got cheap 33's just about brand new
    99'tj 5'' locked cocked and ready to rock...on 35's---sold
    05 rubicon soon to come

[I]You're keyboard must be different from mine... I have [B]F1[/B], [B]F2[/B], etc. I don't see an [B]FU[/B] key...[/I]

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

Well within the past few minutes here's what I've gathered:

I called up my local BDS distributor and they quoted me

4 3.5" leaf springs @ $120 a piece + $10 per spring for bushings = $488.00

JKS Discos $89.99 not including shipping

MORE shackles - $196.00 shipped

8* steel shims - $30

All of that right there puts me at $804 and that doesnt even include shocks.

Like I said before I'm not looking to cheap out at all, just trying to make this as straightforward as possible.

bingo, id jump on that.

are you going the TC drop route?

PM from [B]Gibson[/B]:

Quote Originally Posted by .J u s t i n View Post
    Well within the past few minutes here's what I've gathered:

I called up my local BDS distributor and they quoted me

4 3.5" leaf springs @ $120 a piece + $10 per spring for bushings = $488.00

JKS Discos $89.99 not including shipping

MORE shackles - $196.00 shipped

8* steel shims - $30

All of that right there puts me at $804 and that doesnt even include shocks.

Like I said before I'm not looking to cheap out at all, just trying to make this as straightforward as possible.

You could save yourself $90+shipping. Im not lieing to you when I say, theres no difference with the sway bars on or off in a YJ.

Quote Originally Posted by XJchris98 View Post
    You could save yourself $90+shipping. Im not lieing to you when I say, theres no difference with the sway bars on or off in a YJ.
    I will certainly take your word for it and eliminate a $90 purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by 92YJCBG View Post
    bingo, id jump on that.

are you going the TC drop route?
    Probably not, I'll end up doing the SYE/ XJ Front DS combo most likely

Thread Information