Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Could I have some opinions on this rig?

High-horse-ASSumption-master
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaholic View Post
    in hindsite, selling that blazer was a huge mistake. i should have kept it. i really want a jeep but i just cant stop gravitating back to those f'in big chevys. thats why i really started this thread. to see if a full size chevy could wheel with the jeep guys and i believe from reading the beginning of the thread that its probably not a super good move. ultimately i will find a cherokee or wrangler before spring. i like them cause they are short and thin and light weight. i got a line on some cherokees for this weekend. i just dont want one that i need a torch to work on every time i crawl under it. i'de like it to be just rust free enough to not have to take a torch to everything under it to remove parts and be inspectable (or close to inspectable). the only other thing i was really considering other than jeeps at this point was 70's vintage 1/2 ton chevy short beds. hey yzeater, tell me this burban isn't totally badass. http://www.racingjunk.com/post/13905...n-on-39-s.html

nothing too special. bald tires on 1/2 tons.
    -s-10 d60/14bff, 496bbc, th400,205, locked- mud racer, NO PATIENCE

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

Trail Leader
    i looked at that 99 jeep on craigs list yesterday for 2k. he had a 6" lift on it and decided it was way to high so he cut the springs down to make it about a 3" lift. biggest problem is he cut it down a little to far now his 31's hit when wheels go up into the well on a turn. the trans fluid was burnt to a crisp and the trans was not shifting until it was hitting about 4300 rpm's. i thought this was an odd way for the trans to be failing. usually in yota's and chevy's they will slip a little and then just bang into gear when this kinda stuff happens. i told him to change the filter/fluid and call me back. as it turns out, he did it today and said the trans is back to shifting totally normal. i dont know if any permanent damage was done to the trans because of this. so tomorrow its full size bronco time. if i end up buying it hopefully i'll still be able to wheel it with you jeep guys. i know, its big.
    Last edited by aquaholic; 01-03-2009 at 12:15 AM.
    97 tahoe 8" lift w/ 37" tires
    07 toyota fj
    02 avalanche 2500
    97 xj

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    the trans fluid was burnt to a crisp and the trans was not shifting until it was hitting about 4300 rpm's.

I told him to change the filter/fluid and call me back. as it turns out, he did it today and said the trans is back to shifting totally normal. i dont know if any permanent damage was done to the trans because of this.
    Assuming this was a Cherokee, then If its anything like all the other AW4's I've been around....its toast if he got it hot enough to burn the fluid.
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

Less posting, more wheeling!
    i looked at that 99 jeep on craigs list yesterday for 2k. he had a 6" lift on it and decided it was way to high so he cut the springs down to make it about a 3" lift. biggest problem is he cut it down a little to far now his 31's hit when wheels go up into the well on a turn. the trans fluid was burnt to a crisp and the trans was not shifting until it was hitting about 4300 rpm's. i thought this was an odd way for the trans to be failing. usually in yota's and chevy's they will slip a little and then just bang into gear when this kinda stuff happens. i told him to change the filter/fluid and call me back. as it turns out, he did it today and said the trans is back to shifting totally normal. i dont know if any permanent damage was done to the trans because of this. so tomorrow its full size bronco time. if i end up buying it hopefully i'll still be able to wheel it with you jeep guys. i know, its big.
    Just like Matt said...if it was in a cherokee (and it was an AW4), its toast. The AW4 is a very reliable and strong trans, but they dont like to run hot! If everything else was good though, the AW4 is a very common trans and can be found in alot of junkyards. Millerstown has probably at least 5-10 AW4's sitting around.

If you do end up with a fullsize bronco, dont worry about wheeling with us jeep guys. I cant speak for others, but I havnt met any other jeep guys who mind wheeling with fullsize rigs.

And Geno, I see your local to the area...infact I think ive been past your house a few times before (noticed the blue FJ in the driveway). If you find something local and want a second/third opinion on something, let me know...Theres a few of us that im sure would be willing to help you out! Once you get a rig, we'll have to show you a few of the local spots
    Last edited by XJchris98; 01-03-2009 at 01:23 AM.

your in for a world of hurt if you buy a bronco with twin I beam suspension.

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

Trail Leader
    thanks guys. i have never owned a bronco (well maybe 1 but i didn't wheel it) why dont you like that twin i beam suspension yzeater? is it weak? the truck is an 86 full size bronco. 5.0L 4 speed.
    07 toyota fj
    02 avalanche 2500
    97 xj

too many parts. it's only marginally better then, normal IFS. it is still IFS though. you want a solid front axle. the older bronco's had them.

-'15 dmax

Trail Leader
    day 29 the saga continues. so despite yz eaters advice i go look at this 86 full size bronco (by the way i like the older solid axles to). this thing is immaculate. the frame, suspension, floors, gas lines, brake lines etc... are spotless. this underside looks like this truck is about a year old. starts right up doesn't smoke, shifts flawlessly, clutch feels good and has tons of oil pressure (which is rare in an old ford). oh, and the f'in thing is sittin on a $600 set of brand new 31" all terrains. i mean these tires look like they were put on the truck last week. so i toss my $1000 on the hood and say we're golden, lets go find a notary and get this done. well he proceeds to tell me that the title is still at his dads house in york and it'll probably take him a week to get it mailed to him so we cant do this today. wtf??? i dont think i can deal with anymore of these craigs list people. its like dealing wiith 10,000 retarded braindead azzholes. i've never dealt with a more fawk'd up bunch of idiots in my life. thanks for letting me vent.
    Last edited by aquaholic; 01-03-2009 at 04:54 PM.
    07 toyota fj
    02 avalanche 2500
    97 xj

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    XJ XJ XJ

Just kidding. I think we understand each other.
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    get a loan

buy the TJ i have up for trade.

Boom done, new 35's, it'll be inspected/emissions/and legal, built 8.8 and hp 30, poison spyder armor all around, roll cage.

I'm just saying
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Trail Leader
    i can take it wrecker. i think i'm unoffendable. i might just buy this and resell it. at that point i'll probably have enough to buy your cherokee. and buy that time you'll probably have that dam new guage installed. lol. i mean really. how can you put a vehicle up sale, drive over to meet the buyer cause its not at your house, go for the test drive, negotiate the price AND NOT HAVE THE F"IN TITLE TO COMPLETE THE TRANSACTION. i wanted to kill this dick. i'm almost afraid to ask what you want for that tj wranglerx.
    Last edited by aquaholic; 01-03-2009 at 11:27 PM.
    07 toyota fj
    02 avalanche 2500
    97 xj

Less posting, more wheeling!
    i mean really. how can you put a vehicle up sale, drive over to meet the buyer cause its not at your house, go for the test drive, negotiate the price AND NOT HAVE THE F"IN TITLE TO COMPLETE THE TRANSACTION. i wanted to kill this dick. i'm almost afraid to ask what you want for that tj wranglerx.

Yup, that's "bad business" at it's finest. Good luck.

Trail Leader
    i dont even call that bad bsiness anymore. i'm now calling it typical craigs list.
    07 toyota fj
    02 avalanche 2500
    97 xj

i dont even call that bad bsiness anymore. i'm now calling it typical craigs list.
    happened to me on 2 motorcycles i was going to buy. on the one, the guy was like "i'll send you the title in a few days" and i was like, that's fine, i'll come back and pay them.

I offered him 50 to hold it untill he had the title and the dude goes "well someone else is going to buy it tomorrow if you don't pay and take it today".

so i walked on that deal... it's one thing to not have it ready to go and have to go get it, it's another thing to want to sell it without the title regardless of hand money.

if the dude had taken the 50 bucks to hold the bike, i still would have bought it...

oh well.

Trail Leader
    i'd pimp it ... but not for 2300
    [URL="http://stuweb.ee.mtu.edu/~marmille/jeep/5-mile.JPG"]YJ: d44/12b(4.56, truetrack/detroit), 2"BDS springs/SOA, d300, 4.6 stroker, cage[/URL]

Its pronounced "6-D.o.F." - "6 Degree's of Freedom"

Trail Leader
    i still plan on buying the bronco to. hopefully this douche will have the title for it before next weekend. this truck is just way to clean to pass up for 1k.
    07 toyota fj
    02 avalanche 2500
    97 xj

i still plan on buying the bronco to. hopefully this douche will have the title for it before next weekend. this truck is just way to clean to pass up for 1k.
    you have like $90,000.00 worth of trucks in your sig.... yet you're being uber cheap on a rig...

i don't understand... must be a full size thing

Previously: LB Offroader
    Remember, If something is to good to be true, it usually isn't. If and when he produces a title, I'd check the numbers of what is on the title to what is on the vehicle. Sounds a little strange. I have bought and sold a few things on CL and never had an issue with titles.

I have a friend that has (I believe it's a 95) Bronco that is clean new tires, lifted and is for sale for $5k, (a little more than it looks like you want to spend on a Wheeler) It is too clean to be a beater though. I know he has a title and if you have cash you can have it this afternoon.

Trail Leader
    its not a scam. he's just a young kid getting rid of the ride he used up north while in college. college didn't seem to help his STUPIDITY much though. i think he spent more time washing this truck and keeping it clean than he did studying.
    Last edited by aquaholic; 01-04-2009 at 10:52 AM.
    07 toyota fj
    02 avalanche 2500
    97 xj

its not a scam. he's just a young kid getting rid of the ride he used up north while in college. college didn't seem to help his STUPIDITY much though.
    I know what you mean, I have met a few people in life that they are so smart that lack 1 ounce of common sense.

Trail Leader
    i know what your saying wranglerx. i'm really not being cheap. i just dont want to go smash up an expensive truck. i would ultimately like to wheel my tahoe but my wife really loves that truck and doesn't want me to go out and destroy it. it's lifted way to high to be effective anyway. i'de have to lower it a bit and stick some smaller tires on it. same with the fj (which wil ultimately end up as my offroad rig in about 5 more years). it's just to new and expensive to go bang it up in the woods. i'de rather just buy a beater and not have to worry about it. like i've said about a million times in this post, i was really after a jeep but this bronco is WAY to clean to pass up. i will put some $$$ into the bronco before spring so its ready to wheel. 3" body lift, lockers and a winch. i think that will make it good to go. and, if i find my jeep before spring, i dont think i'll have any problem getting rid of the bronco. some of my best friends are ford guys. to add insult to injury i have a couple of cars to, that aren't in my sig.
    Last edited by aquaholic; 01-04-2009 at 11:58 AM.
    07 toyota fj
    02 avalanche 2500
    97 xj

I guess it depends on what type of wheeling you want to do. I've seen a few '07-'08 FJ's in the woods. If you want to go flat out crashing through everthing in sight, then yes look for a beater.

i know what your saying wranglerx. i'm really not being cheap. i just dont want to go smash up an expensive truck. i would ultimately like to wheel my tahoe but my wife really loves that truck and doesn't want me to go out and destroy it. it's lifted way to high to be effective anyway. i'de have to lower it a bit and stick some smaller tires on it. same with the fj (which wil ultimately end up as my offroad rig in about 5 more years). it's just to new and expensive to go bang it up in the woods. i'de rather just buy a beater and not have to worry about it. like i've said about a million times in this post, i was really after a jeep but this bronco is WAY to clean to pass up. i will put some $$$ into the bronco before spring so its ready to wheel. 3" body lift, lockers and a winch. i think that will make it good to go. and, if i find my jeep before spring, i dont think i'll have any problem getting rid of the bronco. some of my best friends are ford guys. to add insult to injury i have a couple of cars to, that aren't in my sig.
    you want something to go bash up but you're all excited about how clean this bronco is???

i don't get it. go buy a 500 dollar truck if you're buying a 1/2 ton anyway.

you're going to have a grand into wheels/tires, another grand into a winch/winchplate, another 600-700 (right? i cna't remember) into lunchbox lockers, 1200 for detroits if you go that route, plus setup, you're still going to have the stock gears, you're still going to have weak 1/2 ton axles, and the rig is still going to be massive with no armor.

so 1,000 for a clean rig
    1,000 for tires/wheels
    1,000 for lockers
    do you want gears? say another 1000 for gears and setup.
    another 100 for a shitty 3" body lift
    another ~1,000 for a winch/winch plate
    more $$$ for a roll cage for the bronco
    do they even have skids under them?

so you're going to have a 5,000 dollar rig MINIMUM that's going to suck off road due to the stock suspension (body lift only from your above post), going to have weak ass stock 1/2 ton axles, and is going to be massive.

why not just buy a jeep that's already done lol. I'm not trying to advertise the one in my driveway, but it'd be like 7,000ish, it's got a roll cage (and sport cage up front), body armor on the rockers all the way back around the corners, decent axles, new 35's, an actual GOOD suspension, flat skids, lockers, gears, and it will actually go where you want it to. plus it's a jeep.

i'm just saying. just cause it's clean doesn't mean it makes sense.

if you were buying a 500 dollar bronco that you were going to slap 35's and a body lift on, cut the fenders and weld up the axles.... well then hell, go for it! but if you're looking at a rig because it's clean... i dunno. I guess i just disagree.

where's the pics of this clean bronco at? i wanna see what the camber is on the front wheels.

-'15 dmax

Trail Leader
    well not really. here's what i see happening. the tires on it are brand new so i wont be buying tires. i like the 31's for now since the axles are stock. i may do the D-44 TTB axle change out using a stub shafts from a D-50 (from the junk yard) and thats only if i go to bigger tires (which i'm not immediately going to do). the truck is fully skid plated including the gas tank so i'm good there. the rear end is a ford 9" so i wont be messing with the rear alxe at all. all i see doing is maybe a 3" body lift for about 100-125 and 700-800 for front and rear lockers. my total into this this rig should be about 2k or less. the reason i like the underside cleanlyness (meaning free of rust) of any vehicle is simply ease of working on it. obviously you have not built a rig from scratch that is old. evrything is a fight to remove and and half of the shit gets destroyed because of the fight. i would much prefer to do work under the truck without the use of a torch. its way easier when building/modifying a truch when things simply unbolt. now with that being said. i totally fawking defy you to find me a jeep thats lifted, locked, sittin on new rubber and not a total rust pile mush piece shit for less than 2k. you wont do it. matter of fact, you wont even come close. you couldn't find me a jeep that fits that bill for less than 4k let alone 2k. i've been looking for months and its not going to happen.
    07 toyota fj
    02 avalanche 2500
    97 xj

Thread Information