Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New tow rig... sorta.

Thread: New tow rig... sorta.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!

New tow rig... sorta.

Kim traded in her compass last night on an 06 grand cherokee limited with a 5.7 Hemi and HD trans with quadradrive II.

Should be a good tow rig for the few times a year i might need to pull a trailer. 7400 lb tow rating. 325hp/375tq it actually hauls SOOOO much ass compared to any other jeep i've ever had lol. I figure with a good weight distributing hitch it should haul ok. I know I know a cummins would have been the way to go, but this makes a nice driver

her car payment went down by 75 buck/mo. and she doesn't drive a compass anymore

Anyway, just thought i'd share hopefully i'll be sharing the 2 new TJ's in the driveway soon too.

pics are on this thread (can't host from work)

http://www.northeastcrawlers.com/nec...86&postcount=4
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Nice.

Careful towing, it will pull, the trailer brakes will make it stop, but I hate towing with the WK and my 18' flatbed behind it (compared to a full size truck.) The turns can get a little funny.

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    Nice.

Careful towing, it will pull, the trailer brakes will make it stop, but I hate towing with the WK and my 18' flatbed behind it (compared to a full size truck.) The turns can get a little funny.
    I hear ya.

hopefully it will only be a once or twice a year deal at most, probably local, and probably with J's 16' aluminum trailer (till i get another one). The weight distributing hitch is going to be a must too. I know a few guys that tow with one and are happy with it.

If Urbanek gets off his ass and gets a rig, we'll just tow both with his UD. But i still wanted to have something i could tow with if i needed to.

plus it lowered our payments, so why not.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post

her car payment went down by 75 buck/mo. and she doesn't drive a compass anymore

Is the compass as gay as it seems?

Less posting, more wheeling!
    My mother used to have an 05 WK and it was a blast when they would come to visit since they would let me drive around. After her lease was up, she got an XK with the 4.7 and there is definitely a difference.

Provided you can overcome the potential towing control problems (which it seems you are already looking into doing), the 5.7 is definitely enough engine for towing a Jeep. I have the 5.7 in my Ram 1500 and it tows my 4900 lb ZJ on a 1300 lb trailer very well.

Does yours have "Tow/Haul" and "O/D off" modes? Those are extremely helpful for towing.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    Pulling isn't a problem with the Grand Cherokees, its stopping the Jeep and trailer in an emergency. I would get some helper springs for the rear as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post

Does yours have "Tow/Haul" and "O/D off" modes? Those are extremely helpful for towing.
    Yup, and it has sway control as well. Jeep weighs in at just under 4,000 lbs and the trailer is aluminum, i THINK it's right at 1800.

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    Is the compass as gay as it seems?
    it wasn't bad. I mean, it's a commuter. we were getting ~25 mpg city/highway and on the way out to trade it in we were getting just under 30 mpg.

it is gutless, and you have to drive it differently with the CVT trans. But it was comfortable, had a good stereo, and did really well in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGeneral View Post
    Pulling isn't a problem with the Grand Cherokees, its stopping the Jeep and trailer in an emergency. I would get some helper springs for the rear as well.
    I think it's more the wheelbase that wil hurt me. acceleration and stopping will be ok, it's more the trailer pushing around the back of the grand.

Either way though, i'll be at least 1500lbs below the max tow rating. with a weight dist. hitch it'll be fine. A bunch of guys on HRJA tow with this setup without the weight distributing hitch.
    Last edited by 2002wranglerX; 12-31-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Thread Information