Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

ROC fleX 90
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ROC fleX 90

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar

ROC fleX 90

today we started what is going to be a long winter buildup of the x90. i have been brainstorming on what to do with this build for a while. a few weeks ago i decided it was time to do it. i decided it was time to the dumbest thing that everyone always does, chop up a perfectly good vehicle. the x has been a great trail capable rig with the small mods that are on it, but i want more. it will go almost anywhere on the trails, but it lacks a lot on the rocks and hill climbs. the small sidewall's and IFS really handicap the rig. SAS is the way to go!
    i have a set plan in my head of what i want but i am sure the build will change every time i work on it. so far this is what i plan on doing.

-toyota mini truck axles with a front locker
    -3 link control arms with track bars in the front and rear
    -toyota power steering
    -stretched wheelbase from 85" to 100"
    -boatside rockers
    -34" swampers
    -4 to 1 transfer case
    *street legal*

over the past few weeks i started by tearing the axles apart. i cut the old toyota mounts off and started the beefing. i added gussets on the front axle and shaved the pumpkins. the factory oil drain plug on the bottom of the pumpkin hits everything. now it's smooth and ready to slide over rocks.

today we tore off all the calmini crap and basically all the drive train. i am going to scrap most of the stock stuff and i will probably hold onto the calmini lift kit. we dropped the gas tank because it will get relocated after the rear axle is in. dana battled with the stock power steering until it finally came off. he always gets the easy jobs. stay tuned for more.

i just checked my email and it looks like most of my ballistic fab brackets will be here this week. i didn't know they were coming in that fast. i had better get to work on cleaning the frame up.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! Bird_Flu's Avatar
    Ralph, I can't wait to see this project completed. Be sure to post up some pictures when you get the chance. I loved this rig before and can't wait to see what you dream up for it next.
    Want unlimited cell service, talk, text and web for $49 a month? Ask me how
    http://www.solavei.com/jjenkins101201

Michael Scott
    : Happy birthday, Jesus. Sorry your party is so lame!

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    Considering that DC voted for Marion Barry after seeing him on video smoking crack with a hooker, I say the less input they have in our system, the better.

Yeah I always get the easy jobs.

Before the tear down.

Starting to rip it up.

The diff is out.

The rear axle coming out.

The old calmini crap.

The new stuff going back on.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Are you looking to sell the old calmini lift?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I wasn't a fan before... but I dig it now!

Low gears will be your friend.

What's your width to COG hieght ratio? Just curious how stable it should be. 36" seem to be the best but since your so small you could be perfect with the 34's.

How about a cage? I'd hate to see a thread of a nice build, nice guy, too bad he got smashed.

You really think Street Legal? "Got Friends"? I'd think you'd have quite a challenge, but then so do I. At least friends will make it work.

Why not 4 link? Room? 4 link rear will yield much better rocks/climbing results if you can get near nutral. But as I did with a TJ, space is the limits. Did you toss around the numbers? I know not a set science but gets you some ideas. From experience it does make a difference.

Although link geometry makes a huge impact, I think weight distrubution makes the biggest differnce. Not saying how to do it but at least think about it.

You should have a nice rig here soon!

Looking good, Ralph! Are you doing leaf springs, links or both?

Since you are running the Toy axles, I have a couple of suggestions. Gusset between the ball and the tube. That is the most common point to bend a Yota axle. Marlin Crawler has a kit for about $25 or you can make your own but brace them top and bottom. Also, fill the steering stops in with metal and weld them up. If you don't, they will collapse eventually and let you oversteer. That is really hard on the birfields.

If you break a birf, change it asap or it will destroy your housing.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Sweet! My only concern with this buildup is that you might be adding a bit too much weight for us to just pick up the rear end on the trails

How do you plan to stretch the wheelbase 15"? 90 degree approach/departure angles?

The boat sides should be nice. For whatever reason, you always had problems with stray roots and logs getting between the rocker and sliders...
    Last edited by SirFuego; 01-11-2009 at 04:43 PM.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

i am going to run TJ coils in the front and rear. leaf springs will hang out to far. i am going for a stretched look. i am guessing the tires will just barely be under the bumpers. The ballistic mounts will work with the springs and i can get 2 complete sets for free. i decided a 3 link in the rear for a couple of reasons. i want it simple, less parts = less money spent, and i am hoping to mount the gas tank directly above the rear drive shaft. removing the old suspension which had a upper Y link give me ton's of room for the tank.
    the old gas tank skid is trashed anyway and the tank is very dented. it will be out of the way of harm (rocks). the gas tank is like 10 gallons, it's so small.

i don't see why it won't be street legal. as long as the tires are under the body the guy should pass it. everything else will be new. i might have to get some cheap roll out fender flare from JC whitney. i am not sure how legal heim joints are but, the steering will be all ball joins, and the only heim jounts will be on the trac bar.

(can't see in the picture) i added upper gussets on the front axle i am debating on lower gussets for clearance reasons, but i am sure i will end up making some. i am going to stick nuts in the steering stops and weld them in. i have a ton of cross threaded nuts laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by jlovbasz3 View Post
    Are you looking to sell the old calmini lift?

i think i am going to sell the lift. i wanted to save it but i will need money for tires and gears.

the lift only has 2000 street miles on it!

it might look like a RC car when it's all done.

sweet
    99'tj 5'' locked cocked and ready to rock...on 35's---sold
    05 rubicon soon to come

[I]You're keyboard must be different from mine... I have [B]F1[/B], [B]F2[/B], etc. I don't see an [B]FU[/B] key...[/I]

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphDogg View Post
    i think i am going to sell the lift. i wanted to save it but i will need money for tires and gears.

the lift only has 2000 street miles on it!

Let me know a price i know someone that might buy it.

Moderator of the DeeDeeDees! Bill's Avatar
    Looks good Ralph! I will be looking forward to seeing it back out on the trail.
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Call of Duty Special Ops Edition (De-badged)

"The two most common elements in the universe are nitrogen and stupidity."

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    Bill you have to go on a trail to see it on a trail.
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

Moderator of the DeeDeeDees! Bill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
    Bill you have to go on a trail to see it on a trail.
    There are some people on the forum here that can say that to me... You my friend are not one of them. When is the last time your Jeep was out on the trail? Hmmmm?
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Call of Duty Special Ops Edition (De-badged)

"The two most common elements in the universe are nitrogen and stupidity."

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    About a month ago.
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

i had monday off so i spent most of the day working on the new project. i started by cutting the old IFS from the frame.

i added new 2"x4" sections to the frame from the motor on. the old frame was strong but this straight piece will be much easier to work with. the toyota steering box will mount on the outside as opposed to the factory zuke which mounted on the inside of the frame. this new frame will make it much easier to clear the axle and i will have and easier base to mount the springs , shocks and box to.

i also cut the rear coil mounts and shock mounts from the frame.

the factory X member was very rusted. i usually sleeve them, but this one had to be cut off completely and rebuilt. a piece of schedule 40 gas pipe will always do the trick. the shedule 40 will slide threw any factory frame in the early zuke's including samurais. i just cut out the old section out and slid the new piece threw the frame where the old x member mounted.

i was holding the old piece in my hand when i took the pic. it's a weird angle.

to the right of this picture is where the old as tank mounted. to the left is the hole where i will mount the tank.

keep it comeing
    99'tj 5'' locked cocked and ready to rock...on 35's---sold
    05 rubicon soon to come

[I]You're keyboard must be different from mine... I have [B]F1[/B], [B]F2[/B], etc. I don't see an [B]FU[/B] key...[/I]

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

i forgot about this one. it just needs some bicycle grips. OH CHIT

This thing's gona be fun. I always loved seeing it on the trail.
    Keep up the good work.

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    Looks great, it will be nice working with a flat frame. I'll try and drop off those coils after work tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphDogg View Post

Pretty bad ass!
    I'd say 37s are just a little tall for that one though.

Noob!
    Looks good man, Lookin forward to the finished product.
    Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7 of your life.

Thread Information