Thread: Good Idea/Bad Idea?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! ArtCloud's Avatar

Good Idea/Bad Idea?

I've been putting some serious consideration into a currie 1"BL/1"MM and a sky jacker high clearance skid plate...this would get me an acclaimed 2" skid clearance and 1" cosmetic lift, which I think is good considering how low the wrangler skid hangs (seems like they act like a mud scoop more so than armor). Also, I wouldn't have to worry about linkage for the transfer case or the radiator fan linkage because I'd be bringing the drivetrain right back up to stock location.

I kinda started to put thought into this when I realized everytime I get some money saved up I spend it on a new toy instead of a lift kit, and this upgrade will probably cost me under 500$. I know I won't be able to get a bigger tire on but angle clearance is really the only problem with stock TJs I think. And down the road when I'm actually ready to do a nice suspension lift I'll have an additional inch of clearance for tires too.

Anybody's thought on this, agree\disagree?
    -Art Davis-

-2008 Yamaha WR250X-
    -2011 WV Jetta SEL-

Moderator of the DeeDeeDees! Bill's Avatar
    I am not sure how your Jeep is set up right now. Does it have the factory control arms? If I remember correctly you need to get the adjustable arms to dial the suspension in correctly with a flat skid.

I *think*, since it's only a 2" difference, and I don't have any lift yet, I don't think it would be that big of a difference in driveline angle (about equivilent of a 2" BB). I think the plates that sit flush with the bottom of the frame rails are the one's you have to worry about since they give you nearly 4" of clearance.
    -Art Davis-

-2008 Yamaha WR250X-
    -2011 WV Jetta SEL-

I'm reconsidering going with the 33engineering plate, it's a little more but theres an option of not going with the body lift and still gaining almost 2" clearance.
    -Art Davis-

-2008 Yamaha WR250X-
    -2011 WV Jetta SEL-

Clayton has a new skid out as well...

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by olllllllo
    Clayton has a new skid out as well...
    I haven't even seen it yet, and I can tell you it's gonna be awesome. Only becuase I know how he builds stuff, haha.

i saw one on clayton's website, but it seems as though it is meant to be used with their long arm kit, looked like it mounted to the LA Bracketry under the framerails. that would be awesome if they came out with one that could be used without long arms.
    -Art Davis-

-2008 Yamaha WR250X-
    -2011 WV Jetta SEL-

Quote Originally Posted by ArtCloud
    i saw one on clayton's website, but it seems as though it is meant to be used with their long arm kit, looked like it mounted to the LA Bracketry under the framerails. that would be awesome if they came out with one that could be used without long arms.
    Actually there is a review of the Clayton skid over on the Jeepsunlimited website. According to it you can run it without the LA kit.

Thanks Bill. I'll probably be getting that, it looks awesome. 1/4" steel, no body mods or extra mounts necessary, no exposed bolts and higher clearance than stock!
    -Art Davis-

-2008 Yamaha WR250X-
    -2011 WV Jetta SEL-

If you can afford it, I say get it......I've been wanting to do that to the YJ for awhile now.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Years of hard work will pay off in the long run, whereas laziness pays off now! [SIZE=1](not to be taken too seriously)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]'03 TJ X rollin on some 35's
    '83 CJ on 33's
    '06 TJ rubi on 35's and long-armed[/FONT]

Dooo it...I mean I'm liftin mine you have to catch up right.. And is that pic from the night I stalled my jeep out?
    [URL="http://www.jeepchat.org"][/URL]

Web Wheeler!
    Hey man would you be interested in a complete 4" Short Arm SuperLift susp. lift with everything you need. A good friend from www.jeepinwv.com "the morgantown club I'm a member of" just went to a 5.5" Clayton LongArm setup "SWEEEEEEEET LIFT" on his 04 Rubi and is selling the 4" Superlift for $200. If you are interested I can get you his contact info and even bring the stuff to Connellsville for you.

Let me know....just trying to help you out

Barry
    [COLOR=red]If I Wanted a HUMMER...I'd Ask Your Sister or Mom is she's hot! [/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR=sandybrown]My Club:[/COLOR][/B] stagger4x4.com [B][COLOR=sandybrown]My Screen name:[/COLOR][/B] bigblackjeep95

Thread Information