Thread: Wheel Spacers

Wheel Spacers

Yeah, yeah - I know they are illegal in PA.

BUT - I really like the stance they would add and do not want to buy new wheels.

How hard is it to free the red loctite that I'd need to work through to remove the spacers annually for inspection?
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - New motor, long arms, 33's | Jeep FSM's & other stuff -> JeepsLimited.com

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I have heard they cause wheel bearing problems. Your jeep looks fine as it is IMO.
    [COLOR=darkorchid][/COLOR]

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    I don't like running spacers because I have seen wheels come off. But if you are going to run them, I don't think I would bother with loctite. But I would definitly make sure that you retorque them often. Unless you reapply loctite every time you torque the wheels. Red or blue should be ok, just don't use the black loctite, it's nasty stuff.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin152 View Post
    I have heard they cause wheel bearing problems. Your jeep looks fine as it is IMO.
    I appreciate that - I've got all the stuff to raise it to a 3" lift and run 32's, so I thought the extra track would be nice. It's not that the tires won't fit without the spacers, I've just been toying with widening the track.
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - New motor, long arms, 33's | Jeep FSM's & other stuff -> JeepsLimited.com

I didn't realize they were illegal. I've been running them for 9 months now. They passed inspection no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerguy37 View Post
    I didn't realize they were illegal. I've been running them for 9 months now. They passed inspection no problem.
    Really? I was told by my inspection place that I wouldn't pass if they were on. If they were wrong, that would be peachy.

Trail Leader
    http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...5/s175.80.html

(e) Beneath the vehicle inspection. A beneath the vehicle inspection shall be performed as follows:

(1) Inspect the tires and wheels and reject if one or more of the following apply:

(xx) A tire makes contact with the body or chassis.

(xxi) Spacers over 1/4 inch in thickness are used to increase wheel track.
    I am looking forward to regretting this

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I had spacers on my golden eagle just cause I liked the stock wheels and they rubbed with the 33s. Never had a problem gettin them off. Though the lock tite made you work for it. But I only ran em part time. I had steelies I ran most of the year.

I never did an inspection with them on. Im pertty cool with my guy and I dont think he'd pass it.
    01 XJ RE 4.5 33s...

Threadlocker won't help all that much, the real problem is the way aluminum expands when it gets hot. Also, the brakes may heat the loctite enough to soften it.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Ahhhh I diddnt think about the heat. The one that I was talking about coming the wheel coming off the co.that made the spaced recalled them. They even had us send the ones on the shelf back. There was an issue with how it was machined where the lug contacted the spacer. Or so they said. It was kinda wierd how it left the spacer on the wheel.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I've run them in the rear for a couple years now, no problems. I don't really want to run them, but they are a 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 conversion to match my front and keep the tires from rubbing so bad. Even so they still rub some.

I use the locktight, Never had them come loose. And I did leave them on for inspection, but I'm not so sure they even took a wheel off since there are so many other things that are questionable.

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by Cebby View Post
    Yeah, yeah - I know they are illegal in PA.

BUT - I really like the stance they would add and do not want to buy new wheels.

How hard is it to free the red loctite that I'd need to work through to remove the spacers annually for inspection?
    The set of SpiderTrax spacers I have on my WJ have been fine for a while now. I use the red locktite and a torque-wrench and have had no issues at all. Removing them for inspection wasn't an issue either.
    And the stance is nice
    2005 WK, Hemi, QD-II way too stock so far (aka 'blank slate')

Less posting, more wheeling!
    From what i've been told is the wheel spacers like what spidertrax makes where you use your lug nuts to hold the spacer on and separate studs in the spacer to hold your wheel on is legal. Does that make sense? That 1/4" law is regarding the spacers that slide over your regular lug studs. Thats what I was told in inspection class. Once again though this falls under the inspector's judgement.
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sycotik Skier View Post
    From what i've been told is the wheel spacers like what spidertrax makes where you use your lug nuts to hold the spacer on and separate studs in the spacer to hold your wheel on is legal. Does that make sense? That 1/4" law is regarding the spacers that slide over your regular lug studs. Thats what I was told in inspection class. Once again though this falls under the inspector's judgement.
    Mine a 1 1/2" spacers and they are held on by separate lug nuts. Not the ones holding the tires on. I've been going to the same place for years to get my cars inspected. He always tells me if something is broken or needs repaired to pass.

Thread Information