Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Quad/Dirtbike Trails

Thread: Quad/Dirtbike Trails

Web Wheeler!

Quad/Dirtbike Trails

Guys I need some help, I have some friends coming up next weekend for some ATV riding. I have already tried looking trails up online, but they only show the places that are registered or PA state trails. I am looking for places that aren't online. So as an example I know I could go to Mines and Meadows in Wampum, PA, but they are like 25.00 per person per day, or 40.00 per person for the weekend... either way its pricey for four or five people to go for couple days of riding.

1. Could I take them out to the Johnstown/Conemaugh trails? Do quads go back there or are they not welcome?

2. Where else could we go locally and "legally" or just where no one would care that we are riding there?

Any of you are more than welcome to join us... just a friendly warning though, my buddy's wife just got her quad and my girl is not too used to hers so we will be taking it easy until they get adjusted. We are going on the 13th and 14th for sure, maybe on the morning of the 15th for a couple hours.
    Last edited by Aston; 03-09-2009 at 10:32 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Aston View Post

1. Could I take them out to the Johnstown/Conemaugh trails? Do quads go back there or are they not welcome?
    You could and there are quads back there a lot. I will warn you to stay off the state gamelands. There are a few township roads that run through the state game lands that are legal for road legal vehicles as long as your licensed and insured. Also there is some private property back there so just be careful.

So in answer to your question: yes there are quads back there, is it legal: some areas yea some no.

Web Wheeler!
    When i was back there we may not have gone in the areas you speak of, i dont recall seeing any signs myself, but I wasnt looking either. I went only once back in January with Dana leading the way.

Are the game lands marked, I assume that the private property is, or is it up to me to figure it out?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    Slippery Rock dunes?

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepSteeler View Post
    Slippery Rock dunes?
    I have been there, its an alright place but their site says they dont open until 04/01/09 (tentatively).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm jealous that my subtible is lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepSteeler View Post
    Slippery Rock dunes?
    I didn't wanna recommend that place cause it sucked for me on the bike, but it's been years since I've been there so things may be different now. And since he's going to be running a slower pace, definitely a good recommendation JeepSteeler

Quote Originally Posted by Aston View Post
    When i was back there we may not have gone in the areas you speak of, i dont recall seeing any signs myself, but I wasnt looking either. I went only once back in January with Dana leading the way.

Are the game lands marked, I assume that the private property is, or is it up to me to figure it out?
    The state game lands are generally marked with a hunt safley sign. Also there are some roads that say "closed to motorized vehicles" These are bad mojo.

Some private property is marked some isn't. Ive never had a problem with private property that is not marked.

I can't say for sure but you should be fine if you stayed where Dana led you.

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by wozz View Post
    I can't say for sure but you should be fine if you stayed where Dana led you.
    Thats more or less what i was thinking... I probably wont remember exactly which trails he took, but we can always turn around if we see anything that looks like we shouldn't be there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    $40 is way less than getting a fine or your atvs confiscated.

http://www.mountainridgeatvtrails.com

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Aston I have been back up there since our January run and mapped the trails we used with my GPS, after I loaded them when I got home I was surprised to see that a few trails ran through game land and they were not marked. We also saw a group on ATV when we where up there.
    trailphotos.ragnorox.com
    A wise man once said: "Fighting on the internet is like the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded."
    "I just don't get all the hype over it. If it doesn't make me a sammich or go down on me, I'm not going to rant and rave about it."
    -OverkillZJ

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel85CJ View Post

Agreed, however, if you can find a place that is legal or legal-ish and is free to ride... thats the money shot. Thats all im looking for.

Im used to living where i was able to ride from my backyard out to wherever i wanted to go. Which included using the local roads, county roads, and in certain cases the shoulder of state highways... legally. The only cost was a $12.00 trail permit for the year. So, I guess I am hoping that I can find somewhere to ride without having to pay hundreds for access. I understand that I am living around more people now, but many of those private ATV trail parks are places where they have one way trails, riding curfews, trail speedlimits, and all the other rules. I understand that its for safety but I like my freedom. I dont like being on a designed "course" that any yuppy who rents a quad for a weekend can go on. I like to see different scenery, encounter a variety of obstacles, have an actual destination like a lake, creekbed, mountainside... whatever (not just the trailhouse) and take whichever trail I would like to get there.

Like I said, I know Im living by a city now, but I am hoping that there are trails I am allowed to ride on that dont just go in a circle on someones acrerage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel85CJ View Post

If you get stopped on state gamelands your ATVs will be impounded and the fines start at 75.00-200.00 plus costs. I'd try one of the off-road parks (pay-to-play) or head up to the ANF Marienville trails.

Previously: LB Offroader
    Well, You could travel west an hour and a half (90-100 miles) to Mantua Oh and pay $20 per person for two days of riding on 1500 acres:

Thread Information