Thread: Cracked cylinder wall

Cracked cylinder wall

so i was re doing my cooling system on my jeep today and i pulled off my thermostat housing. it looks like that first cylinder wall has a huge "C" shaped indentation or crack in it? has anyone else ever seen this or am i in big trouble?

Less posting, more wheeling!
    time to shop for another engine, have you done any compression tests to confirm its a crack? theres always the option of resleaving but a replacement is cheaper.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    sure its not just casting marks? if there was a large crack there would be oil in coolant or coolant in the oil. That or some indication that you were burning it in the cylinder.
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Like PatF10 said check it for coolant in the oil, oil in the coolant, and the spark plug for a green tint meaning it's burning antifreeze. Also is the engine smoking or showing other signs of a crack. It's usually pretty obvious especially if you say you can see the crack with the naked eye. Did you happen to take pics? If you think it's cracked and you didn't put it back together yet trying snapping a pic so others can see what you are looking at. I would think if it's cracked you have noticed other things like smoke and coolant in the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by sethman15210 View Post
    time to shop for another engine, have you done any compression tests to confirm its a crack? theres always the option of resleaving but a replacement is cheaper.
    depending on how well you know your way around an engine (can you tear it down to the block yourself and rebuild it?) and how much you can find a good new one for, id look into getting it bored and sleeved first.

fuggit, somebody has to do this 350 swap ive been going back and forth on, wanna be a guinea pig? LOL
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

its just a casting mark. once i got it under some good light i could tell it wasnt cracked. im considering doin a 4.9 stroker swap. i want to keep it jeep, i hate chevy and i wouldnt put one of their motors in my jeep. also i know my way around an engine pretty good, i learned more than enough at rti

i wanna do a 350 because i can do an entire rebuild of one in about a day and a half haha, never been the biggest fan myself.

ive been thinking about building a stroker but i keep hearing different opinions on what will work from different people.

and by RTI do you mean rosedale?
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

Less posting, more wheeling! MemorEsto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootcherokee View Post
    its just a casting mark. once i got it under some good light i could tell it wasnt cracked. im considering doin a 4.9 stroker swap. i want to keep it jeep, i hate chevy and i wouldnt put one of their motors in my jeep. also i know my way around an engine pretty good, i learned more than enough at rti
    You better go back to RTI if you have to come on here and ask if you're engine is cracked when you see a cast marking. You'd rather spend $$$$$ trying to get 4.9 out of a inline six than put a proven crate 350 in?
    Acer Offroad A♦A♣A♠A♥

well where the mark is it feels cracked and looks cracked but its just the way the light hits it. mistakes happen so bite me. id rather spend 4g on a titan engine 4.9 stroker than put some garbage ass chevy 350 in my jeep. yeah i did go to rosedale

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    id rather spend 4g on a titan engine 4.9 stroker than put some garbage ass chevy 350 in my jeep.
    props for keeping it Mopar... i love GM, (i have 3 compared to my 1 Mopar) but the SBC 350 is just an excuse to say you have a V8. with stock heads, exhuast, an intake they dont even match the torque of a 318. HP is a different story, but GM is and always will be about performance (hi RPMs), IMO.
    99 WJ 4.7, 545RFE, 247 - BB on 30s
    95 ZJ 5.2, 46RH, 249 - BB on 32" BFG MT
    02 WJ 4.7HO, 545RFE, 247 - stock but breaks the tires loose on the 1-2 shift

well where the mark is it feels cracked and looks cracked but its just the way the light hits it. mistakes happen so bite me. id rather spend 4g on a titan engine 4.9 stroker than put some garbage ass chevy 350 in my jeep. yeah i did go to rosedale
    ...why not build your 4.0 into stroker for 1g at most instead of pumping out 4g to have somebody else do it?

and why so much hate for the 350?

i got to rosedale right now BTW
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth_Fratelli View Post

and why so much hate for the 350?
    because 'everyone has one'.
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

Not that I am supporting the SBC, but.

78-83 the stock 4cyl was the Chevy Iron Duke 151.
    83-86 the stock V6 was the 2.8 Chevy
    64-71 the factory V8 and V6 options were Buick engines.

Now that said, I did rebuild an AMC engine to keep my AMC era Jeep semi factory. But if it came with either the Chevy or Buick options, I would have went that route.

My CJ-7 years back did get a 455 Pontiac.
    72 Jeep Commando, 401, Auto, Swampers, Locked...

Quote Originally Posted by commando72 View Post
    My CJ-7 years back did get a 455 Pontiac.
    pics dude, pics! that sounds sick!
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

i just want a motor that is proven so i can do a quick weekend swap. i dont have the time or another vehicle to be missing mine. i just graduated from rosedale back in january, i was so glad to get out of there, it was goin down fast.

Thread Information